VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX) (BEEN TRYING TO FIX FOR WEEKS)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
synboxin

VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX) (BEEN TRYING TO FIX FOR WEEKS)

Post by synboxin »

I have been using VirtualBox for a while now. I have a few Linux boxes going and a Windows 10. Everything was fine. I went to start my Windows 10 and it wouldn't start. I tried my others. I got a ton of errors. I ended up removing them and uninstalling and reinstalling VirtualBox. Now the 64bit option is removed from my options. I can't start any in 32bit I get the error

VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: ConsoleWrap
Interface: IConsole {872da645-4a9b-1727-bee2-5585105b9eed}

I've tried every single thing I could find online. I'm so lost, and need to get this fixed as soon as possible for work related stuff.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX) (BEEN TRYING TO FIX FOR WEEKS)

Post by andyp73 »

Have you read the very informative I have a 64bit host, but can't install 64bit guests? In short, you need to make sure that VT-x is enabled in the BIOS and that nothing else has taken exclusive control over it.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
synboxin

Post by synboxin »

So one of the problems with that is, I don't have the Hyper-V option in my Windows features. I also don't have anything related to DeviceGuard. To disable Hyper-V I have to use CMD commands, and I also tried a tool called HyperVSwitch (currently says HyperV is disabled but is still running, might need to reboot) Which I've rebooted 100 times. I checked running services and can't find anything Hyper-V related running. Now when I do CMD commands to disable it I get an error.
Last edited by socratis on 7. Dec 2018, 00:11, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You're focusing solely on Hyper-V, but not a word about anything that might be using Hyper-V. Look at the list of software installed. And look at the article again. It could be an antivirus, a debugger, or something else. The one sure thing is: something is using VT-x. Not necessarily Hyper-V directly.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
synboxin

Post by synboxin »

As far as I'm aware nothing is using it. Is there away I could check though just to be 100% sure?
Last edited by socratis on 7. Dec 2018, 06:19, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

There's not a program that's going to tell you "Hey, this is using VT-x". Something is using your VT-x though. We can't tell from here, we don't know what you have installed on your computer. I bet you that if you uninstall all the programs, or if you re-install Windows, the problem will go away.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.