REVERT to NDIS5 Bridged Driver not working (#18173)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
TDSKen

REVERT to NDIS5 Bridged Driver not working (#18173)

Post by TDSKen »

ModEdit; related ticket: #18173: Bridged Adapter not working version 5.2.22
I am trying to revert to the NDIS5 Bridged driver in VirtualBox using the following command msiexec /i VirtualBox-5.2.4-r119785-MultiArch_amd64.msi -msiparams NETWORKTYPE=NDIS5

Windows 10 HOST, I have WIndows 10 Guests (and am having all kinds of issues with the NDIS6 driver not allowing my bridged network to ping back and forth between host and guest or guest to outside devices etc.)

I need BRIDGED not NAT as I have specific Industrial Protocol devices that need to communicate with the outside world and packets must have the proper header data etc...

When I install with the above command the VBox software loads, I have a valid host adapter but in my network properties for the LAN Adapter where I used to see my VBox NDIS6 driver ; I have no VBOX Driver at all.
In my virtual box network settings for VM there is nothing in the drop down for bridged adapters - it can't find the adapter

I have Uninstalled VBOX, I have reinstalled, I have ran the drivers INF to install manually, added the service manually via network properties > add service and yet it still does not appear.

What do I need to do in order to install the virtual box with NDIS 5 drivers , I need the ethernet working - this should not be that difficult.
Last edited by socratis on 7. Dec 2018, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ticket related information.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: REVERT to NDIS5 Bridged Driver not working

Post by andyp73 »

Before you go down the road of having some frankenbox hybrid installation with the old NDIS5 driver can you elaborate on:
TDSKen wrote:and am having all kinds of issues with the NDIS6 driver not allowing my bridged network to ping back and forth between host and guest or guest to outside devices etc.
You need to give more information on what IP address, etc. are being setup, exact commands that you have run to test it, what the commands return etc.

There may be a better way to achieve what you want to do but without the required level of detail we can't say.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
TDSKen

Bridged Network does not work. NDIS6 Driver.

Post by TDSKen »

I can not get bridged adapter function working with Virtual Box 5.2.22 (I had it work one time for about 1 week then it quit) . I had changed the network of guest and host net mask to a class B address instead of class C . Since then it does not work. Tried to revert back, it does not work. Tried to Uninstall, re-install, tried to upgrade to 6.0, tried to downgrade to 5.2.4 tried to force NDIS5 drivers on a re-install. (That does not work - I can't- created post for that.)
Also tried Promiscuous mode [Allow All, Deny].

I am having this issue on two separate machines - Firewall is permanently disabled in the guest. Guest and Host have Admin Privileges - even so I'am running everything with r-click Run As Administrator.

NOTE For the Quick ... I am not connecting these two machines to the network. Or to the external device (which only has one ethernet port) at the same time. I am plugging them into an external device ONE at a TIME - so the IP Address of HOST / GUEST are not in conflict.

Laptop 1

Windows 10 PRO for Workstations
Version 1803
Build 17134.441
Dell precision 7720 - 32GB RAM
IP 192.168.1.24 MASK 255.255.0.0

Windows Guest: .VMDK
Windows 10 PRO
Version 1703
Build 17134.407
IP 192.168.1.252 MASK 255.255.0.0

2nd Laptop
Windows 10 PRO
Version 1703
Build 15063.726
Dell Latitude 6520- 8GB RAM
IP 192.168.1.24 MASK 255.255.0.0

Windows Guest: .VMDK
Windows 10 PRO
Version 1703
Build 17134.407
IP 192.168.1.252 MASK 255.255.0.0

External Device is on 192.168.1.2 MASK 255.255.0.0

The host pings the external device but not the VM.
The guest can't ping anything except itself; (Unless I use NAT mode) or amazingly the WIFI seems to work in bridged mode.

BTW: VMWare does work with these machines.

So the issue seems to be something with the VirtualBox NDIS driver and wired connections.

My IP Addresses can change from site to site and are statically assigned from site to site .
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

I merged your second thread with the first one, because it's literally a continuation to the first one (or actually what the first one should included) and because it's the answer to the question that Andy asked you.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
TDSKen

Post by TDSKen »

Andy
Sorry about that we have more details as Socratis merged the posts .

Here is what I have discovered - if I make the first network bind to the WIFI and use the second network bind to the WIRED - I have made a successful ping Host <>Guest and to the external external device from the host on The Dell Precision 7720.

I did change the Host Only Adapter IP address during this process I changed 192.168.56.1 to 192.168.1.254 (mask 255.255.0.0 ) had no success so I changed back to 192.168.56.1 255.255.255.0 , tested and did not work .
Then I swapped my First Network to the WIFI and then my second network to the wired - and it worked.
Network 1 is MT Desktop Driver (which it was before) only I ma attached to the WIFI adapter.
Network 2 is MT Server Driver (which it did not matter which for the wifi when I had it bound to that adapter). This is now bound to the wired adapter.
Guest Machine has Network 1 Disabled (that is host wifi bridge).
I had tried all of this with only one adapter as well.
as a side note during all of this - I also tried virtio my WIFI was disabled on the host and yet I had connection in the guest to my local domain strangely enough.

I am going to try to do the same with my other laptop.
TDSKen

Post by TDSKen »

The same procedure placing the WIFI as the first adapter [MTDesktop, AllowALL] and the LAN WIRED [MTServer,AllowAll] as the second adapter.
In the Guest machine I disable the First Adapter in Adapter Settings. I can then ping internal, external whatever.

Maybe not the best way to do it - took me forever to figure this out - there might be other issues - as I do need Ethernet/IP traffic to pass .

Perhaps this is something in the VirtualBox driver implementation that is not quite correct. As it gets confused - I know that even disabling the WIFI on the host does not resolve the issue.

I must have wifi enabled on the host and wifi as the first adapter in the settings.
Then in the guest I need to disable the First Network - which is bound to the wifi .
TDSKen

Post by TDSKen »

I have discovered what appears to be the real culprit.

I have a locally administered MAC Address - if I change this to a value I need in the guest system the ping and connectivity will not work.