VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
JeroenV

VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Post by JeroenV »

I know I'm not the first to have this problem, but maybe my situation is different.

I'm working on a W10 machine that's quite locked, installing software is not allowed but internet access is quite open. Windows updates are performed regalarly.

We as developers develop software on a remote VM which is a Windows 10 64 bit environment where software installation can be done (as everyone is responsible for his / her VM) but internet access is restricted in it. So I downloaded and installed Vagrant 2.2.2, VirtualBox 5.2.22 and a 64 bit box (xenial-server-cloudimg-amd64-vagrant.box) on my PC, moved the files to the VM and installed them there. When I want to run this box in Vagrant I get the error mentioned in the subject.

As it's not a pc we're VirtualBox is running in there's no BIOS to enable or disable virtualization in.
As solution to this problem I've tried:
- moving the Virtual Box VM directory from inside C:\Users\<myuser> to a location inside D:\opt as only C:\data, C:\opt, D:\data and D:\opt are free from interference of McAfee (which cannot be turned off)
- looking in the services for Hyper-V services, but they're all switched off
- disabling Hyper-V through "dism.exe /Online /Disable-Feature:Microsoft-Hyper-V", but when I simple look at dism.exe there's nog Hyper-V entry at all under "DISM OPTIONS"
- I executed gpedit.msc, looked for "Turn of Virtualization Based Security" and set it to disabled
- I removed and reinstalled VirtualBox using "Run as administrator" to run the installer

All to no avail.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Logs are provided in the attached zip, the weird thing is: the VBoxHardening.log does not show errors, only VBox.log does
Attachments
logs.zip
logfiles
(32.82 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Post by socratis »

JeroenV wrote:I know I'm not the first to have this problem, but maybe my situation is different.
I don't want to hurt your feelings, but you're not special, you're like everyone else; something is using your VT-x, or VT-x is not there. Period.
JeroenV wrote:I downloaded and installed Vagrant 2.2.2
Vagrant is a program that relies on VirtualBox, but modifies its configuration files in unknown ways to us, and with unknown consequences. It is not supported on these VirtualBox user forums, they have their own Vagrant support channels.
JeroenV wrote:As it's not a pc we're VirtualBox is running in there's no BIOS to enable or disable virtualization in.
Are you running a VM in a VM? That's called nested virtualization and it's not supported.

And to explain your error, a VM does not have VT-x, they don't get passed down from the host.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
JeroenV

Re: VT-x is not available (VERR_VMX_NO_VMX).

Post by JeroenV »

socratis wrote:Are you running a VM in a VM? That's called nested virtualization and it's not supported.
Exactly.
socratis wrote:And to explain your error, a VM does not have VT-x, they don't get passed down from the host.
I see. Too bad, as that not only leaves VirtualBox out of the options but other virtual boxes to run docker files in will probably have the same problem :(