[Resolved] Issue when trying to revert to snapshot UUID does not match the value

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
choochoo

[Resolved] Issue when trying to revert to snapshot UUID does not match the value

Post by choochoo »

Hi, I am quite new to virtualbox, and tried to increase my storage size of one of my disks.
I have 3 VMDK disks on my VM, and took a snapshot before trying to extend my disk. I followed instructions which told me to use the command line to clone my VM (to take a backup), change it to VDI format, increase the disk space and then convert it back to VMDK. So, I did. But I realized all my data was gone.

So currently, I'm trying to revert it back to my original disk, but I am getting such errors:

UUID {8a52f9e5-cd69-42d3-9259-1c869243df7b} of the medium 'C:\Users\XXX\VirtualBox VMs\XXX\Test Installation v7 RHEL7.5.vmdk' does not match the value {5aaf07a0-c16e-4559-8b80-1793a73e0a49} stored in the media registry ('C:\Users\XXX\.VirtualBox\VirtualBox.xml').

In addition, if anyone knows how to keep the data and add additional storage it would be really helpful.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!
Last edited by socratis on 5. Dec 2018, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Issue when trying to revert to snapshot UUID does not match the value

Post by socratis »

How to resize a Virtual Drive.
In there it specifically talks about avoiding snapshots.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Why does it have to be VMDK? What value do snapshots add? The validity of your answers to those questions may be at the root of the problems you're having. Experienced users AFAIK tend not to use either.
choochoo

Post by choochoo »

ahh okay great, thanks for all your advice they are useful.

I am doing integration and configuration changes, which require me to snapshot the VM once in a while just in case. The product tells us to use VMDK, so I've been following that.
so now I created a clone before doing the resizing, and unmounted the disks before I did all these and it worked. Thanks a bunch!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Resolved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.