Copying files from Windows 95 guest to Windows 10 host

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.

Copying files from Windows 95 guest to Windows 10 host

Postby Yeah » 2. Dec 2018, 03:51

I'd like to copy files from a Windows 95 VM to a Windows 10 host running it. I've turned on drag & drop and shared clipboard but they don't seem to be working. Any ideas?

Another, semi-related question: is there any way to write a floppy image from a Windows 95 VM?

Thanks for the help!
Yeah

Re: Copying files from Windows 95 guest to Windows 10 host

Postby mpack » 2. Dec 2018, 10:41

Yeah wrote:I'd like to copy files from a Windows 95 VM to a Windows 10 host running it. I've turned on drag & drop and shared clipboard but they don't seem to be working. Any ideas?

Drag and drop, shared clipboard, and shared folders are never going to work with a Win95 VM because those are all Guest Additions conveniences (see user manual), and there are no GAs for unsupported DOS based guests such as Win9x.

Nor can you use a USB drive because Win95 predates it, even with Win98SE you needed custom drivers for each flash drive: there was no generic support in the OS.

You can get files into the VM using CDs and ISO files. The only way to get data out in a convenient way is SMB network shares. See the tutorials section, and don't expect too much: Win95 has been gathering dust for a VERY long time.

Yeah wrote:Another, semi-related question: is there any way to write a floppy image from a Windows 95 VM?

Write to it yes, create one no. You need to have a blanky floppy image to start with (I just attached one). You can't easily use this to get files in and out of the VM though, since you would need a host tool that can (un)pack floppy images. Oh yes, you may also need to add a floppy controller and floppy drive to the VM recipe. I'm not sure that VirtualBox adds them by default any more.
Attachments
blank_floppy.zip
(1.94 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Postby pt58 » 2. Dec 2018, 14:58

I've had success transferring files between a Win95 VM and Win10 host using Windows SMB files sharing.
These are the steps I've used to get it working:

Ensure that SMB1 is enabled on the Win10 host (in "Programs & Features - Turn Windows Features on/off")

Set up the Win95 VM to use Bridged or Host-only networking in the VirtualBox Network properties.

Make sure TCP/IP networking is set up on the Win95 VM. You may need access to the Win95 installation CD to set it up if it's not already installed.
Create a shared folder in Win95 for the files you wish to transfer to the host. If you only want to transfer files to the host then you can leave it as readonly. If you want to be able to transfer files form the host to the VM, then make it read/write.

You should now be able to browse to the Win95 shared folder on the Win10 host and be able to transfer files.

Hope this helps.
pt58

Postby socratis » 2. Dec 2018, 16:49

pt58 wrote:Ensure that SMB1 is enabled on the Win10 host (in "Programs & Features - Turn Windows Features on/off")

Right, absolutely right! I keep forgetting that this option exists. That's why I originally said "forget networking". Thanks pt58 for reminding me!
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
socratis
Site Moderator

Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Postby BillG » 3. Dec 2018, 00:27

I have never tried Win95, but that works fine with Win98SE and NT4.
Bill
BillG
Volunteer

Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 7,8,Server

Return to VirtualBox on Windows Hosts