Guest Control File Manage: Data corruption and Crash

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
Technologov
Volunteer

Guest Control File Manage: Data corruption and Crash

Post by Technologov »

Host: VBox 6.0-BETA3 + Win7 x64.
Guest: WinXP + GA v6.0-BETA3

1. When copying file from host to guest it's copied. - GOOD (dir copy also works fine)
2. When copying file from guest to host it's not copied. - BAD
3. When copying dir from guest to host, it's scraps dir-name, damaging data. - UGLY
4. Delete file in guest doesn't work.

The GOOD, BAD and the UGLY.
Last edited by Technologov on 1. Dec 2018, 21:59, edited 2 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guest Control File Manage: Data corruption

Post by socratis »

You need to give more details, mainly about the filenames and contents. There are several tickets open that some copy operations fail under certain circumstances, for example SVN files that start with a dot (".") or end with one. Since File Manager (VFM) depends on the underlying API, it may not be a VFM problem, but an API problem.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Technologov
Volunteer

Re: Guest Control File Manage: Data corruption

Post by Technologov »

Steps:
1. Download stockfish-10 Chess Engine released TODAY, yay ! (I like Chess.)
1.a. https://stockfishchess.org/download/
1.b. https://stockfish.s3.amazonaws.com/stockfish-10-src.zip
2. unzip locally on host in C:\TEMP\stockfish-10-src\
3. select both stockfish-10-src\ and stockfish-10-src.zip on host and choose "copy" to guest's C:\Temp. (1 file and 1 folder; see screenshot "crash")
4. OOPS ! Crashed ! (both Guest Control File Manage and WinXP guest itself.) -- both become unresponsive, untill killed. (see screenshot "crash2")
5. Reboot VM - and restart Guest Control File Manage (GCFM) -- (files magically appear there; so files were actually copied before the crash)
6. Select "stockfish-10-src.zip" in guest's C:\Temp and Delete File. Actual result: Nothing happens.
7. Select "stockfish-10-src.zip" in guest's C:\Temp and target to host's new folder C:\Temp2 and "copy". (from guest-to-host) Actual result: Nothing happens.
8. Select "stockfish-10-src\" in guest's C:\Temp and target to host's new folder C:\Temp2 and "copy". (from guest-to-host) Actual result: Files copied without the folder (which was stripped.) - Data corruption.
Attachments
GCFM-crash2-2018-12-01.jpg
GCFM-crash2-2018-12-01.jpg (123.96 KiB) Viewed 3305 times
GCFM-crash-2018-12-01.png
GCFM-crash-2018-12-01.png (68.99 KiB) Viewed 3305 times
Windows XP-2018-12-01-21-39-25.log
Vbox Log after WinXP crash
(121.47 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Whiskeyjack
Oracle Corporation

Re: Guest Control File Manage: Data corruption and Crash

Post by Whiskeyjack »

I am aware of the fact that guest session hang time to time. That will be solved before the next release. I am very sorry about your stockfish by the way. RIP
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Technologov
Please ZIP your logs first. Thanks.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

@socratis
Zip adds time to zip and to unzip, with zero impact, except wasting my time. Why zip ? (same is true for screenshots, that I must cut too much to fit into 127 KB... I'd prefer bigger images... and less time spending in MS Paint and more time actual debugging of VirtualBox 6.0)
We should upgrade max limit to 512 KB for uploads, and be happy. Is there a specific reason why not ? Are we running out of floppy disk space ? @_@
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

• Zipping/unzipping? 2 sec.
• Cropping an image? 15 sec.
• Showing respect for the people that don't have 100 Mbit/s lines? Priceless...