"macOS Mojave could not be installed on your computer" on Virtualbox

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
pie05

"macOS Mojave could not be installed on your computer" on Virtualbox

Post by pie05 »

Hi,

I have an El Capitan VM that I want to upgrade to Mojave. Using the normal installer does not work, so I downloaded dosdude's Mojave patcher, got the full installer, and made an install iso using socratis's InstallerApp2ISO.sh. I then followed socratis's install guide. After I chose the boot.efi and booted the vdi, it showed an install bar, then after it was done, 6 hours later, it said "macOS Mojave could not be installed on your computer" and then it showed a log of errors mostly relating to something about a nonexistent battery and "power management" I would attach the log, but it would take too long to extract it with 7-zip. If the iso or the vdi I used would help, I can attach it. Please help me solve this.

Thanks in advance,

pie05
pie05

Re: "macOS Mojave could not be installed on your computer" on Virtualbox

Post by pie05 »

It wouldn't let me post urls, so I shortened them and took a screenshot. They are attached as referenced in the above post.

pie05
Attachments
iso.PNG
iso.PNG (56.07 KiB) Viewed 4387 times
pie05

Post by pie05 »

and the other one:
Attachments
guide.PNG
guide.PNG (53.33 KiB) Viewed 4387 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

OSX 10.14 (Mojave) is not yet supported in VirtualBox.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
pie05

Post by pie05 »

I know, but I just ran it with the high sierra setting, seemed to work... until it didn't
okiuss
Guest OSses: OSX,LINUX,WINXXX

Post by okiuss »

macOS (10.14 and 10.14.1) are working fine as guestOS within VB 5.2.x/6Beta.x.
You just have to use a third party EFI boot loader (e.g. Clover). This is no rocket science.
I do not know, why users don't get pointed to the right direction as a intermediate solution.
Virtualboxes EFI implementation cannot handle Mojave's boot process on apfs the right way;
... or Apple does ignore EFI standards ... who knows.
IMHO macOS 10.13 is also unsupported within VB, because of the EFI problems, when updating
the OS with major security updates (You have to fiddle around within the EFI options/shell,
otherwise EFI cannot find the right .efi file)

Can anyone tell me, why it is such a "taboo" to use third party boot loaders ?
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

okiuss wrote:Can anyone tell me, why it is such a "taboo" to use third party boot loaders?
It is entirely up to you what you do within your guest machines. If someone, particularly someone with a measure of standing, recommends a third party bootloader then other forum members will expect that it will be supported in these forums and will ask questions about it. This is a user to user forum for VirtualBox which is why questions about forks and tools that use VirtualBox (Vagrant, etc.) get answered the way we do.

Also, you will see in the bottom right corner of the browser window a bright red Oracle logo. That means that we can't be seen to be advocating anything that is illegal or in violation of software license agreements.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

okiuss wrote:Virtualboxes EFI implementation cannot handle Mojave's boot process on apfs the right way;
That's exactly what I mean it's "Not supported in VirtualBox". Exactly that.
okiuss wrote:Can anyone tell me, why it is such a "taboo" to use third party boot loaders ?
Because if you had to do the same with, let's say, Ubuntu or Win10, you would never had the decency to call it "supported".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
okiuss
Guest OSses: OSX,LINUX,WINXXX

Post by okiuss »

@andyp73:
"That means that we can't be seen to be advocating anything that is illegal or in violation of software license agreements."

I don't follow you. I never talked about virtualization of macOS on non Apple hardware.
Is "Clover" per se evil, because it is used in the hackintosh scene ?

ok. Lets stop this discussion.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

okiuss wrote:I don't follow you. I never talked about virtualization of macOS on non Apple hardware.
Is "Clover" per se evil, because it is used in the hackintosh scene ?
I'm not saying whether there is or isn't a specific problem with using Clover. I haven't looked at it to know what it is derived from and what its license terms are. I was making a more generic point for other people who may read this thread in future that what is said here can't be seen to be bringing Oracle into disrepute.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.