CentOS 7 Guest Window moving/detaching issue

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
BigHusky

CentOS 7 Guest Window moving/detaching issue

Post by BigHusky »

I am not sure when this actually started to happen, but a very curious issue started to creep up. This is currently on MacOS High Sierra with all security updates installed. Was on VirtualBox 5.1.18, but just today upgraded to 5.1.22 in the hope it was clearing the issue, though it didn't.

When I launch the CentOS 7 VM, regardless if I login or stay on the login screen, and I grab the window title bar to move the VM to another location on the screen, the content of the window stays put where it launched, while the window, with the title bar and borders with an empty content moves.
Clicking anywhere in the actual content results in nothing happening, but clicking in the empty, moved window at the location where things would be triggers the action in the content part of the screen.
Very hard to describe in words , so here is a link to a short video showing the behavior. https://1drv.ms/v/s!AmTCPpjAMeTlkHUftFdxaJAJs4AA

I've been running this VM for a while through various point releases and don't recall having run into this previously.

P.S. A VM with Fedora 28 behaves normally (with xorg, not wayland) with similar settings.
Attachments
VBox.log.gz
Obligatory Log of of the session
(29.16 KiB) Downloaded 14 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: CentOS 7 Guest Window moving/detaching issue

Post by andyp73 »

This is a known issue with High Sierra. See #17168: VB display frame and content are no longer bound in High Sierra (osx 10.13) for details of the available workarounds.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
BigHusky

Re: CentOS 7 Guest Window moving/detaching issue

Post by BigHusky »

Thank you Andy

appreciated. My search had come up empty. Interesting fact is that Fedora 28 with 3D enabled is not affected by this, so not for all guests like one poster on the bug report posted.

-Big