[Invalid] Mouse only usable within single application after mouse click on RHEL 7.6 (#18124)

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
rconde01

[Invalid] Mouse only usable within single application after mouse click on RHEL 7.6 (#18124)

Post by rconde01 »

ModEdit; related ticket: #18124: Mouse only usable within single application after mouse click on RHEL 7.6
Ticket closed as [Invalid] -> Red Hat bug

RedHat has announced a fix: see this post.
Using VirtualBox 5.2.22

Not sure if this is Redhat 7.6 specific, but that's what I'm using - I didn't have this issue before upgrading from 7.5.

After clicking within an application window, mouse input on other applications is ignored.

Repro:

Start RHEL 7.6
Open a terminal
Click-drag-select text within window
Try to move the terminal, click another application, or anything else outside the terminal...it doesn't work.
The only way to get out of it is to kill the application.

I've seen the behavior on 2 different VMs.

I created an issue for this: ticket 18124

But maybe i'm just doing something dumb. Any ideas?

I see the behavior before and after installing guest additions.

Thanks,
Rob
Last edited by mpack on 14. Mar 2019, 16:18, edited 4 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Invalid].
rconde01

Re: Mouse only usable within single application after mouse click on RHEL 7.6

Post by rconde01 »

I found another workaround...if you right-click and bring up a context menu that seems to fix it until you click a window again. Probably because the new window "captures" the mouse and then releases it on destroy.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Re: Mouse only usable within single application after mouse click on RHEL 7.6 (#18124)

Post by michael »

If this happens without the Additions installed, I have trouble seeing how it could be a VirtualBox issue, as VirtualBox is not even aware of guest windows. There might be something I haven't thought of of course.
rconde01

Re: Mouse only usable within single application after mouse click on RHEL 7.6 (#18124)

Post by rconde01 »

So you made me second guess myself...I installed 5.2.23 and now things seem to be working ok. So I guess it some weird frankenstein of Guest Additions.

Thanks! I'll close the bug.
rconde01

Post by rconde01 »

Well - it seems i can't close it...sorry.
rconde01

Post by rconde01 »

Actually - FYI this still is some issue, but I haven't characterized it yet.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

For a start it would be good to clear up whether it happens without Additions installed. If so then it is very likely not a VirtualBox problem (possible counter example, if it turns out to be only mouse related and not tied to a guest window after all). If it only happens with Additions installed, the next thing I would try would be to stop the VBoxClient --draganddrop processes to see if that helps.
slevey

Post by slevey »

I'm experiencing the same behavior after updating to 7.6 - kernel version 3.10.0-957.0.el7.x86_64
I've was able to reproduce the same behavior both with and without the additions installed and have reproduced on multiple VM's
Virtualbox version 5.2.22
Additions version 5.2.23 (5.2.22 would not build on 7.6)

The problem did not exist with 7.5 - kernel version 3.10.0-862.14.4.el7.x86_64
Virtualbox version 5.2.22
Additions version 5.2.22
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

And is this really connected to a specific window on the guest system? Including when the Additions are not installed? Or could it be a generic problem with mouse events which just looks like it is related to a guest window? I am asking this because I do not see how a problem with a specific guest window without Additions can be due to VirtualBox. Does this also happen with the 6.0.0 Beta?
slevey

Post by slevey »

The problem happens within all windows and also impacts the application launcher and the panel (KDE Desktop). I've experienced the problem consistently within KDE and Gnome 3.
As indicated by rconde01, if the left mouse clicks fail to interact with the application window (the mouse movements are rendered), you may be able to right click and bring up a context menu by clicking on the application within the panel/taskbar at which point left click will commence working and you can select a different application window.
If things become stuck and right click does not work either, I can attempt close the active window with a keyboard shortcut at which point normal operation resumes.
If you only have a single application/window running then you are unlikely to experience the problem.

After Removing Additions 5.2.23, switching back to Kernel version 3.10.0-862.el7.x86_64 and installing Additions 5.2.22 the problem goes away. All other RPM's and settings within VirtualBox and the VM remain the same. The issue appears linked to the Kernel.

I haven't had the opportunity to attempt this with the 6.0.0 beta.
GZU

Post by GZU »

I'm experiencing similar issues with an upgrade to Scientific Linux 7.6 with XFCE desktop.
I also had to use the 5.2..23 additions disk to get the display drivers to build properly.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

So again, this happens when the Additions are not installed too, and is triggered by a click inside of an application window, but not by a click outside of one? Regarding Enterprise Linux 7.6, yes, support was only added with 5.2.23.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Is this always on Windows hosts?
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Also, regardless of whether it is a problem in the guest system or in VirtualBox, our mouse input troubleshooting page might help you find out more:

https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/MouseInput