Keyboard does not work in VM, when the VM is first run

Postings relating to old VirtualBox pre-releases
WhatHaveYou

Keyboard does not work in VM, when the VM is first run

Post by WhatHaveYou »

The first, but only the first, time that I ran a VM (a Windows 10 Home one) from within the new beta, the keyboard did not work. That is, when I typed anything within the VM, and in any application (well, I tried three or so) nothing happened. The mouse worked.

Host: Linux Mint 19 x64 Cinnamon.
Guest: Windows 10 Home.
Physical computer: Lenovo Thinkpad X1CG6.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Keyboard does not work in VM, when the VM is first run

Post by socratis »

Can't reproduce it.
What happens the 2nd time?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
WhatHaveYou

Post by WhatHaveYou »

The second time the keyboard worked normally (and the mouse continued to work).
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Does this happen on each and every VM the first time?
We need to see a complete VBox.log, from two complete VM runs:
  1. Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  2. Re-start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Login if you have to / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  3. With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  4. Save "VBox.log" and "VBox.log.1" in a ZIP file and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
WhatHaveYou

Post by WhatHaveYou »

I'm sorry; there is only so much work that I am prepared to do.
WhatHaveYou

Post by WhatHaveYou »

The problem occurred again, why I downgraded (if that is the right word) to the new maintenance release and (had to) install Guest Additions via a download (a download in the host, not guest). I had to restart my guest under 5.2 twice before the keyboard worked. I am now going to use the maintenance release and not the beta. Some expression of appreciation from the developers would be nice.