Serious Lag with Windows 7 Guest

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
brycesteiner
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Linux, Windows

Serious Lag with Windows 7 Guest

Post by brycesteiner »

I recently purchased a 2018 MacBook Pro 32GB Ram, 6 core i7, 560x 4GB Video card, running MacOS 10.14.1
I transferred over a 64bit Win 7 guest that was running okay on a 2011 27 iMac running MacOS 10.13.6

I installed latest VirtualBox and Extension pack and then installed drivers.

The problem is serious lags of a minute or more, with no response from clicking or anything, when I'm running even basic programs, that never produced this before.

I've tried changing things such as turning off NIC's, increasing RAM, changing various video settings (in VB and MacOS), lowering resolution. Nothing seems to help.

I'm not sure what else to try. I've also included the log file.

thanks for any help!

[ModEdit; partial log removed]
Last edited by socratis on 1. Nov 2018, 06:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed partial log.
brycesteiner

Re: Serious Lag with Windows 7 Guest

Post by brycesteiner »

I don't think the log finished so here it is again that is larger after shutting down the VM.

thanks!
Attachments
VBox.log
(113.85 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Could you edit your 2nd message and replace the log with its ZIPPED counterpart? You should know the drill by now, plus zipping saves a (virtual) tree... ;)
brycesteiner wrote:I transferred over a 64bit Win 7 guest that was running okay on a 2011 27 iMac running MacOS 10.13.6
Do you still have the old Mac? Or the HD? Can you get access to the logs and the .vbox?
brycesteiner wrote:I installed latest VirtualBox and Extension pack and then installed drivers.
What does that mean? What drivers are you referring to?
00:00:02.098805 NumCPUs <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
00:00:02.262038 CPUM: Physical host cores: 6
You can easily afford up to 5 CPUs for you VM, why give it only 1? Go with at least 2, your VM is going to be grateful.
00:00:02.098885 Path <string> = "/Users/station7/VirtualBox VMs/Windows7/Windows7-disk001.vmdk" (cb=62)
Why a "-disk001.vmdk"? Was that file imported or created? Did you export it as an OVA from the old Mac?
00:00:02.098987 Path <string> = "/Applications/VirtualBox.app/Contents/MacOS/VBoxGuestAdditions.iso" (cb=67)
You should get into the habit of ejecting your GAs ISO after you're done installing the GAs.
00:00:02.099044 VRamSize <integer> = 0x0000000008600000 (140 509 184, 134 MB)
Your 3D acceleration is disabled. Enable it in the VM Settings » Display, max out the VRAM, and then re-install the GAs.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
brycesteiner

Post by brycesteiner »

Thank you Sacratis for responding back to me.
I don't know what you mean about providing a zipped counterpart. Is that the .vbox file?

I still do have the old Mac and it still runs well.
I imported the OVA file (2.0) that I exported from the iMac computer.
I tried the VM with higher number of cores--made not difference, maybe even slower.
Same with the 3D option. I tried increasing the video memory all the way and lowering it. It worked better with 2d acceleration on and 3D acceleration off. Whenever I enabled 3D acceleration it gave the warning that it was experimental.
Installing the Drivers meant that I reinstalled the guest additions after I turned off and on the acceleration options. That is also why it wasn't ejected.
socratis
Site Moderator
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

brycesteiner wrote:I don't know what you mean about providing a zipped counterpart. Is that the .vbox file?
No, I mean to actually ZIP the whole VBox.log and attach that, instead of putting selective portions of it as simple text.
brycesteiner wrote:I imported the OVA file (2.0) that I exported from the iMac computer.
No need to go from VM to OVA to VM, you could have simply copied over the VM. See Moving a VM.
brycesteiner wrote:Whenever I enabled 3D acceleration it gave the warning that it was experimental.
Don't worry about that, just follow the suggestions given...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.