[Solved] Mint/Cinnamon "running in software rendering mode"

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Mint/Cinnamon "running in software rendering mode"

Post by socratis »

CraigH wrote:I am already using the latest NVIDIA drivers (342.01 WHQL), which haven't been updated since 12/14/2106.
Funny that you mentioned that. I have my guinea pig PC, that can "wear" an NVidia GeForce 8600 GT card (I also have two ATI ones). I booted it in the Win7-32 bit mode and I tested it.

I hadn't booted with the NVidia card for some time, and Win7 came up with an "updated driver" message. Installed the update and then I had version 9.18.13.4144 (2015-02-04) of "nvwgf2um.dll" (without the "x"), with a valid certificate until 2016-07-11. So, it shouldn't work because the certificate has expired, right? Well, it does... So, that's not your problem. Download the NVidia drivers and install them again...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
CraigH

Post by CraigH »

Download the NVidia drivers and install them again...
Tried your suggestion. Downloaded and installed the latest drivers (still 342.01). Rebooted the host system, and still get a blank screen in Virtual Box. Win 10 says that it "does not have enough information to verify this certificate." for the "nvwgf2um.dll". It also says that about several other NVIDIA .dlls, but windows works fine. Any other suggestions.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

CraigH wrote:Any other suggestions.
Call NVidia and ask them to fix their shtuff... Or forget about 3D acceleration.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
djtlumic

Post by djtlumic »

Hi there,i have same software render mode problem.

Can you pls check what is causing it?

Tried almost everything common. new virtual, ga, gpu drivers. purge,install, restart.3d mode on/off, etc. Tried on mint 17.3->18.3 install or 18.3/19.3 live cd´s. No problem on Mint 17.3 Cinnamon or other desktop variants.

I am suspicius about correct install of GA drivers :/

Thanks for any advices.
Attachments
install.jpg
install.jpg (124.46 KiB) Viewed 5799 times
Mint-2018-10-06-07-46-08.zip
(31.27 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:02.028688 NumCPUs <integer> = 0x0000000000000004 (4)
00:00:02.396951 CPUM: Physical host cores: 4
00:00:02.397221 Full Name: "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz"
You have assigned all your CPUs to the VM. The host is going to run low on resources, since VirtualBox cares about physical processors (cores), not logical ones (threads). Your i7-3770 CPU has 4 cores/8 threads as you can see...
00:00:01.335952 File system of 'C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxGuestAdditions.iso' (DVD) is ntfs
As a principle, don't keep your Guest Additions (GAs) CD in your VM after you're done with the GAs installation, or you're going to have issues if you upgrade VirtualBox. Always eject them from within the guest.

Other than that, your VM seems perfectly normal.
djtlumic wrote:I am suspicius about correct install of GA drivers :/
They seem to be installed and running, but can you post the output of the installer? Apparently you posted the installer output while I was writing my reply. They look just fine...

Another thing you might want to try is the 5.2.x (intermediate) test builds. They might contain fixes later than 5.2.18...

PS. Avoid JPEGs for computer screenshots. They're fuzzier and larger in file size compared to a PNG.
djtlumic

Post by djtlumic »

Hi there, thanks for quick reply.

1. CPUs- i am aware of that, thanks for noticing
2. ISO- i am aware of that too, but i want to show that GA are properly mounted
3. I am not so sure with install, when i want reinstall GA and hit "purge" i get report that drivers arent installed, also in synaptic i dont see installed files and have only option to install old ones.

sudo apt-get purge virtualbox*

it´s not english, but it says that libraries are not installed and therefore cannot be removed. But its weird, after install i get working shared files, clipboard etc,only grafics is still in software mode.

i will try test builds later,no time now.

sry for jpegs, but my png output is much bigger than jpg,dont know why :/
Attachments
remove.jpg
remove.jpg (119.03 KiB) Viewed 5793 times
install.jpg
install.jpg (75.36 KiB) Viewed 5793 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

djtlumic wrote:I am not so sure with install, when i want reinstall GA and hit "purge" i get report that drivers arent installed, also in synaptic i dont see installed files and have only option to install old ones.
Because Synaptic and apt-get look at the distro repository, the forked ones. You didn't install the GAs from the repository, you installed something that's not in the repository. Which is a good thing™. So don't worry about that...
djtlumic wrote:sry for jpegs, but my png output is much bigger than jpg,dont know why :/
Because you compress your JPEGs so much that are border-line illegible... ;)
djtlumic

Post by djtlumic »

gimp does much better work in png now :)

i tryied new GA drivers.still no change. even when i was using older gtx 960 and older Vbox i had same problem.

Isnt there something in log or have you any idea what could be mine ( and probably others people ) problem?

couldnt be it something with intels integrated graphic and drivers for exampe? Of course win runs only on gtx 1060 freshly updated from 384.xx from gigabyte to 411.xx from nvidia
Attachments
Mint-2018-10-06-22-50-42.zip
(34.38 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
Bez názvu.png
Bez názvu.png (45.81 KiB) Viewed 5786 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

djtlumic wrote:i tryied new GA drivers
I still see the 5.2.18 ones, and then you updated to the 5.2.19 ones. Which is good, that's what I should be seeing. So, for the n-th time, your GAs are installing just fine. Stop worrying about that part.
djtlumic wrote:even when i was using older gtx 960
This has nothing to do with the GAs...
djtlumic wrote:Isnt there something in log or have you any idea what could be mine ( and probably others people ) problem?
As I said before, your log looks absolutely fine!
djtlumic wrote:couldnt be it something with intels integrated graphic and drivers for exampe?
I'm sorry, but you do not use the Intel integrated GPU, you use the Nvidia GPU:
00:00:01.742050 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_VENDOR:   NVIDIA Corporation
00:00:01.742093 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_RENDERER: GeForce GTX 1060 3GB/PCIe/SSE2
00:00:01.742134 OpenGL Info: Render SPU: GL_VERSION:  4.6.0 NVIDIA 411.70
Do you mind creating and installing a new Mint 18.3 VM? Because at some point you mentioned:
djtlumic wrote:Tried on mint 17.3->18.3 install
I would like to know what happens in a fresh install of Mint 18.3, not an upgrade...

PS. Yes, the PNGs look much better... ;)
djtlumic

Post by djtlumic »

Tried clear install of 18.3 Cinnamon with GA *18 and *19 drivers, trided purge drivers and install.same result
Attachments
Bez názvu.png
Bez názvu.png (68.92 KiB) Viewed 5767 times
18.3test-2018-10-10-01-38-28.log.zip
(31.15 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

VirtualBox VM 5.2.18 r124319 win.amd64 (Aug 14 2018 12:39:01) release log
I thought I already told you to stick with the 5.2.19 test builds, didn't I?
00:00:01.664185 NumCPUs <integer> = 0x0000000000000004 (4)
I thought I already told you to lower your CPUs to 2, didn't I?
djtlumic wrote:with GA *18 and *19 drivers
No! You didn't!
00:00:24.558725 VMMDev: Guest Additions information report: Version 5.1.16 r113841 '5.1.16_Ubuntu'
00:00:36.047292 VMMDev: Guest Log: VBoxService 5.1.38_Ubuntu r122592 (verbosity: 0) linux.amd64 (Jul 10 2018 10:40:22) release log
This is a mess! Please try to clean it up. And BTW, you could also be looking for that in your VBox.log, instead of waiting for someone to check it for you. Just open the VBox.log and search for "additions". If it isn't what you are expecting, you're not doing something right. Fix it.

BTW I don't need to see a picture of a successful installation of the GAs over and over again, only if there's an error or a warning. Learn how to identify them. And although the picture shows that you installed the 5.2.18 GAs (not the 5.2.19 as told), the VBox.log tells me something different.
djtlumic

Post by djtlumic »

*19 wanst working,so i tried *18 after and take photo. 4 cpus change to 2, no affect
mess is that something simple as that isnt working :/ not setting of my 4 cpu´s instead of 2 in totaly clean install. If GA installer says that drivers are installed ( as in photo ) and VM log says they dont, how can be this fixed? i already tried purge virtualbox.

thank you for advices.

edit: i set everything as you want, checked log for GA report with good result. also VMMDev: Guest Log: VBoxService
Attachments
18.3test-2018-10-10-10-23-08.log.zip
(28.34 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Last edited by djtlumic on 10. Oct 2018, 10:27, edited 2 times in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

djtlumic wrote:If GA installer says that drivers are installed ( as in photo ) and VM log says they dont, how can be this fixed?
I don't know exactly what you're doing, I'm not sitting in front of your computer, you are... ;)

It seems that you try to install the GAs, but when you restart the VM and you take the log, they don't show. Maybe you're looking at the wrong log? The wrong VM? I can't tell from where I'm sitting, I only go with what you give me...
djtlumic

Post by djtlumic »

yeap, maybe wrong log before :/ sorry. check edited post pls. 2 restarts after reinstall GA and i safed log
leonardopereira
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: OSE Debian
Guest OSses: Linux Mint 18

Post by leonardopereira »

Hello...

I have not solved the problem of the Cinnamon drive with the new versions of the NVidia driver. I gave up.

After I switched Cinnamon's input mode to MATE, I did not see that unpleasant message any more.