[Solved] Problem setting up Snow Leopard to run on High Sierra

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
Hugh023

[Solved] Problem setting up Snow Leopard to run on High Sierra

Post by Hugh023 »

Hi, I’m new to VirtualBox, so apologies if I’m missing the obvious.

I’m having some problems at the end of the setup procedure, I get so far, and no further.

What I’ve got: iMac i3 3.2Ghz 8GB RAM, OS High Sierra 10.13.1 (clean install, no user files), VirtualBox 5.2.18, Snow leopard install disk (10.6.3)

What I’m trying to do: Run Snow Leopard

What I’ve done (a number of times):
  • Open VB, Select ‘new’, Name: Snow Leopard, Type; Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard (32-bit)
  • Memory Size: 4096, Create Virtual disk, VDI, Dynamic, 20GB
  • Start, select optical disk file, Host drive ‘HL-DT-ST DVERW GA32N’, start
  • runs through black screen & text ok, brings up initial language screen, english selected, install ready to go
  • open disk utility, select VBOX hard disk, erase, format Mac OS ext (journ), Name: Snow Leopard, successful, quit disk utility
  • Back to OS install, continue, licence agree, continue, select where to install, Snow Leopard selected, install
  • Install goes through its process right through to the ‘restart’ dialog box
  • On restart, goes back to black screen, white text.
  • Goes no further
Final screen shot
slinst.jpg
slinst.jpg (121.41 KiB) Viewed 5956 times
I would really appreciate any suggestions as to where I’ve gone wrong, and what I need to do to rectify it.
Last edited by socratis on 29. Aug 2018, 09:00, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Problem setting up Snow Leopard to run on High Sierra

Post by socratis »

We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run, after the installation of 10.6:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM, by closing the window.
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Hugh023

Post by Hugh023 »

Thanks for your reply, but as a complete newby to VirtualBox, I have only the very slightest idea of what you might be talking about. I guess I'll need to read up some more so that I can understand what you are saying. Thanks anyway.
Last edited by socratis on 29. Aug 2018, 00:58, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
Hugh023

Post by Hugh023 »

OK, I managed to work out what you were asking, and went through the whole process again from scratch.
The end result was the same.

Hopefully whatever I'm doing wrong, will now be apparent.

Regards, Hugh

here is the VBox.log
SnowLeopard-2018-08-29-07-26-28.log.zip
(27.48 KiB) Downloaded 60 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:07.483219 Guest OS type: 'MacOS106'
That's the 32-bit version of 10.6. Are you sure that you are installing the 32-bit, and not the 64-bit one? Where did you get the DVD from? What does it say?
00:00:07.653210 VRamSize <integer> = 0x0000000001000000 (16 777 216, [color=#Α00000]16 MB[/color])
I'd increase the VRAM to 64 or even 128 MB. VM Settings » Display » Screen » Video Memory.
00:00:07.396955 DMI Product Name: iMac11,2
00:00:08.340512 Full Name: "Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU 550 @ 3.20GHz"
Your CPU is not the newest in the world, and your iMac11,2 came with OS X 10.6.3 (10D2322a) and later OS X 10.6.4 (10F2056, 10F2061, 10F2090, 10F2108). I don't know which one you have on DVD, but can you please make sure which version you're trying to install?

So, in summary, check the DVD that you have and make sure you're installing the VM with the appropriate template.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Hugh023

Post by Hugh023 »

Thanks for getting back to me.
Can't find anything on the disk about it being a 64 or 32 bit version, although it does say in some blurb that it has 64 & 32 bit support. Was bought new from Apple.

So, I went through the process agin, this time trying it at 64 bit instead of the 3bit. Same result, goes no further than the black screen with white type.

Here is the log from that run
Snow Leopard-2018-08-29-11-59-56.log.zip
(27.74 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Hugh023 wrote:Was bought new from Apple.
What do you mean? What's the version on it? Your iMac came with CDs or not? It should have... If you're trying to install anything newer than that, it might not work as is...

Find the following file on the DVD: System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist. It's an XML file, you can open it with any text editor. Post its contents here.

Mind you that "System" on the DVD is not shown. If you haven't enabled hidden files in Finder, issue the command:
  • 
    defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE; killall Finder
PS. I asked you to increase the VRAM. You didn't...
Hugh023

Post by Hugh023 »

I seem to have Snow Leopard up and running. Your suggestions re the 64bit question, was the solution, so thank you very much.

Mod edit; remaining post split into a new thread: Sharing files between High Sierra and Snow Leopard
Last edited by socratis on 29. Aug 2018, 08:53, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Split remaining post to a new thread.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I split your answer into 2 parts; one confirming that this thread is [Solved], and one into a new thread discussing the file sharing aspect. We have a rule of one issue per thread, one thread per issue.

Also moving to "OSX Guests" from "OSX Hosts".
Hugh023

Re: [Solved] Problem setting up Snow Leopard to run on High Sierra

Post by Hugh023 »

Sorry for stuffing things up. Mark the file sharing question as solved too.
Thanks again for all your help.