Using VirtualBox with wireless adapter

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
Foca

Using VirtualBox with wireless adapter

Post by Foca »

Hey guys.

I'm working with a virtual machine using wireless adapter, and my physical machine is wired. I'd like to know if I get some virus in the virtual machine, it can infect the physical one through other way instead of network ? I mean, through the network it can't see each other, right ?

Thanks guys.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Using VirtualBox with wireless adapter

Post by mpack »

A network connection is not a magical aether through which spells can pass. In order for data to be passed between PCs there has to be pre-existing software on both sides, one to send data and the other to receive and do something with it. You control the presence of software on both sides.

Cutting to the point: the only credible infection scenario is where guest malware modifies an executable file kept in a shared folder. So, don't keep executable files in shared folders and you'll be fine. Certainly don't run an executable on the host after it has been inside a shared folder.
Foca

Vbox on different Internet provider

Post by Foca »

Hello guys. I'm using Ubuntu 18.10 and a Vbox machine with Windows 10, I'd like to know if Ubuntu host could be infected by vbox host even if the both machines are connected on two different Internet providers ?

Thanks.
andyp73
Volunteer
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Re: Vbox on different Internet provider

Post by andyp73 »

I think mpack pretty much answered this for you in your other thread Using VirtualBox with wireless adapter.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Foca

Post by Foca »

Sorry, My bad
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Which is why the two threads got merged.

@Foca, keep in mind that according to the forum rules, duplicate posts are not allowed. It's not good etiquette. The next ones will have to be removed...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Foca

Post by Foca »

Got it, I'm sorry