Guru meditation Sierra 10.12.6 guest

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
okiuss
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: OSX,LINUX,WINXXX

Guru meditation Sierra 10.12.6 guest

Post by okiuss »

Hi,
after installing the latest iTunes and Safari updates but NOT the security update 2018-004 my
Sierra guest does not start anymore. Any hints ?

Regards, OK
Attachments
logs.zip
(63.74 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Guru meditation Sierra 10.12.6 guest

Post by socratis »

I tested my 10.12.3 VM:
  • Updated to 10.12.6, via the combo update.
  • Checked for updates. There were RemoteClient, Safari, iTunes, and the 2018-004 Security Update.
  • Updated the VM one update at a time, rebooting in between, in the order listed above. No problem.
Here are the differences between your VM and my VM. I'll describe even the most minute details:
  • You have set some ExtraData that I don't: DmiSystemProduct, DmiSystemVersion, GetKeyFromRealSMC.
  • Your screen resolution is 1920x1080, mine is 1280x1024. According to Mactracker, your late 2009, 27" iMac has a resolution of 2560x1440 and I believe there was no "retina" at that time. So you should be all set.
  • You have 4096 MB of RAM, I have 3072 MB. We both can afford it, not an issue (on the surface).
  • You have USB1/2 enabled, I have USB3.
  • You have 1 NIC (set to NAT), I have 4 NICs (HostOnly, Internal, NATservice, Bridged).
  • You have Bidirectional DnD, I have it disabled.
  • Your CD/DVD is attached to an IDE controller, mine is SATA/Port 1.
That's it. Nothing earth shattering. All of the above are non-issues IMHO. Which means that I don't have the slightest idea why this VM is triple-faulting:
00:00:04.610277 !!         VCPU0: Guru Meditation 1155 (VINF_EM_TRIPLE_FAULT)
And these are a "party" to analyze and troubleshoot... And I have no clue how to do it. :?

I noticed that you have a snapshot. Is this after the crash or before? I have the feeling that you took the snapshot after the VM started crashing, which isn't going to be too much help...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
okiuss

Post by okiuss »

These were the single steps, wich lead to the guru mediatation

1) Installed Remote Desktop update from Appstore
2) Reboot
3) Installed iTunes and Safari update from Appstore
4) Downloaded and NOT installed SecUpd 2018-004 from Apple website
5) Shutdown
6) Create snapshot
7) PowerOn -> Immediate Guru meditation (saved the logs for my previous posting)

I will try to create a new VM with the standard template and attach the VDI to this machine.

Remark: All my other VMs (10.4 - 10.13) run fine with the latest VB 5.2.18
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

okiuss wrote:6) Create snapshot
Your step #6, should have been #1. And if everything worked, then you delete the snapshot. Now what you've done is in a sense to create a restore failure point.
okiuss wrote:I will try to create a new VM with the standard template and attach the VDI to this machine.
I don't think you have to, but it never hurt. Just make sure to not get your snapshots mixed up...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
okiuss

Post by okiuss »

Hmmm :-(
VM didn't work with attached .vdi in a new vanilla template nor in a vm with socrates settings ....
... very strange.
Lessons learned: Create a snapshot before ANY update (even it is a "minor" update like iTunes/Safari).
Got my Sierra VM running with VBox, importing the VDI from another hypervisor, which was already updated.
Since this was my first problem with Guru meditation for many years, I will not trace this problem further.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

okiuss wrote:Since this was my first problem with Guru meditation for many years, I will not trace this problem further.
Can you try something else? Open a Teminal, while the VM is completely shut down, and enter the following command:
  • 
    VBoxManage modifyvm "macOS-10.12.6-Sierra" --cpu-profile "Intel Core i7-6700K"

okiuss

Post by okiuss »

I tried some variants for the --cpu-profile (including your suggested setting), but it didn't solve
the Guru Meditation error:-(
Last edited by socratis on 23. Aug 2018, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

OK, thanks. It was worth a shot... :?