[Solved] 10.6 VM fails on 10.13. Panic on AppleACPIPlatform

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
snowyreturns

[Solved] 10.6 VM fails on 10.13. Panic on AppleACPIPlatform

Post by snowyreturns »

ModEdit; topic split from Status of OSX on OSX
Howdy,

I had gotten a guest 10.6 instance working on VirtualBox 4 (5 never worked) in a 10.11 host in Jan 2017. Then I upgraded my host OS from 10.11 to 10.12 and it stopped working. I'm trying to get it working again, hopefully with VirtualBox 5 instead, and on my current 10.13 host system.

The 10.6 instance starts, but always kernel panics concerning com.apple.driver.AppleACPIPlatform.

I never saved the settings I used for the 32-bit configured 10.6 VM in VirtualBox. After it started failing (after the upgrade), I fiddled with it some, and switched between VirtualBox 4 and 5, and didn't save the settings I used for the working config.
VirtualBox_Snowy_10_08_2018_06_42_35.png
VirtualBox_Snowy_10_08_2018_06_42_35.png (29.17 KiB) Viewed 7780 times
I attached my current settings in "Snowy.vbox.zip"
Attachments
Snowy.vbox.zip
(1.66 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Last edited by socratis on 13. Aug 2018, 05:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: 10.6 VM fails on 10.13. Panic on AppleACPIPlatform

Post by mpack »

Those settings seem to be for a non-working VM. It has no media, just a UUID reference to media which one would hope is registered by some other VM. I.e. this VM is an accident waiting to happen. You should take this discussion to another thread, because your problems are NOT a consequence of the guest being OS X.
snowyreturns

Post by snowyreturns »

Thanks for the reply, mpack. What settings make it for "a non-working VM"? If I use the VM that actually has the "vmdk" in it, I get the same results. Also, that "vmdk" was the same one I got working in VirtualBox 4.3.40 last year.
How is not anything to do with the guest being OS X? Last time, it took some specific combination of settings to get it to work, specific to OS X guests like the type we see in the first post of this thread. Sorry for any misunderstandings, I'm new to these forums.

Are you saying it is not a consequence of the guest being OS X because it's a kernel panic on AppleACIPPlatform? Is that even more "primitive" than the usual AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement kext kernel panics? Which is why you're wondering about the HD?
Last edited by socratis on 10. Aug 2018, 21:30, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

snowyreturns wrote:If I use the VM that actually has the "vmdk" in it, I get the same results.
Then that's the files/logs that we want to see. Not a random VM that you created. We want the VM that has the problem...
snowyreturns wrote:Last time, it took some specific combination of settings to get it to work
Like?
snowyreturns wrote:Which is why you're wondering about the HD?
There's no HD in that VM that you posted. There must be a HD in the screenshot that you posted, otherwise you wouldn't get there. These two facts don't match. You're hiding information, you're obfuscating the problem. Why?

The settings that you have in your VM are not required for a proper OSX guest. But, they are required for a Hackintosh. And that's what I bet you have. And that's why it's failing. Hackintoshes are not supported. You may have a Mac (I don't know it yet), but a hacked OS is not supported.

If I'm mistaken, please provide evidence of where and how you obtained the ISO for the 10.6 client, and post the proper .vbox file (not a hacked one), along with a ZIPPED VBox.log from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
snowyreturns

Post by snowyreturns »

Thanks for responding socratis.

Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I am not trying to build a Hackintosh. I've had Macs since I was a child and hate using other hardware, so that is definitely not my goal here. I am trying to play a game from my childhood that only has PPC binaries built for it, so Rosetta is my only shot (I need other advanced features, which is why I don't just use OS 9).

The only thing I removed from that vbox file was my Macbook's serial number, but it didn't make a difference, anyway. The rest of the vbox file is exactly as I was using it. The reason it seems like a weird setup is that I wanted to clone that "Cow5" VM that I thought was the last VM that was working (and that has the "vmdk" in it), but then it gave me an error about needing to modify the "vmdk" or something, and I didn't want to do that, so I instead made a new VM and shared the "vmdk".

Hope that explains the weirdness of my first post. I might not have ever needed those settings in the VM that was working (I have a feeling now after re-reading the main OS X on OS X thread and the responses in this thread), but after it started not working again, I went back to trying the settings that one finds all over the web after searching, that I assume now are only for Hackintoshes or Windows hosts. Is that right? The other problem was that kexts stopped being able to be loaded (and I don't want to lower my security), which is why I eventually gave up on VirtualBox 5, but now it seems they sign them, so VirtualBox 5 is a possibility again. VirtualBox 4 doesn't work at all anymore since the signatures are too old, so VirtualBox 5 is my only option now.

-------

Update while writing this:
I was searching around and saw in http://osxdaily.com/2011/11/17/install- ... e-on-lion/ that the Apple Developer Program gives you access to old OS dmgs. I'm an iOS developer, so I downloaded the "mac_os_x_v10.6_build_10a432_user_dvd.dmg". That "vmdk" I was using was from a friend from years ago that they had ripped from their install DVD and set up the game in, but if I can do this using my own resources, that would be a lot better.

I converted the dmg to an iso, but I get the same kernel panic on boot.

Here's the full .vbox and log from this new VM:
Attachments
SnowIso_log.zip
(26.24 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
SnowIso.vbox.zip
(1.55 KiB) Downloaded 53 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

00:00:06.675369 DMI Product Name: MacBookPro11,3
00:00:07.065277 Full Name: "Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4980HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz"
Your Mac and your CPU are too new for OSX 10.6. You'll need to modify what CPU is presented to the 10.6 guest. With the VM completely shut down issue the command:
  • 
    VBoxManage modifyvm "SnowIso" --cpu-profile "Intel Core i7-6700K"

00:00:06.822283 NumCPUs <integer> = 0x0000000000000001 (1)
00:00:06.822286 RamSize <integer> = 0x0000000040000000 (1 073 741 824, 1 024 MB)
I'd give it 1.5 GB (1536 MB) to have some breathing room. I'd also try with 2 CPUs and see if it makes a difference.
00:00:06.822301 [/CPUM/HostCPUID/1/] (level 3)
00:00:06.822303   eax <integer> = 0x00000000000006fb (1 787)
00:00:06.822303   ebx <integer> = 0x0000000000000800 (2 048)
00:00:06.822304   ecx <integer> = 0x0000000080000209 (2 147 484 169)
00:00:06.822305   edx <integer> = 0x00000000078bfbff (126 614 527)
This part from the log doesn't match what you have in the .vbox "recipe". Are you sure you included the logs and the recipe from the same VM?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
snowyreturns

Post by snowyreturns »

This part from the log doesn't match what you have in the .vbox "recipe". Are you sure you included the logs and the recipe from the same VM?
I included the .vbox that was on disk but, yes, that looks like for some reason the one VirtualBox was using was from a previous iteration (made the modification just to check if it would get me any further...). Guess I didn't quit and have it reload the .vbox without that modification.

I tried your suggestions and got a different kernel panic! Here's the screenshot, and the log's attached:
VirtualBox_SnowIso_12_08_2018_20_26_26.png
VirtualBox_SnowIso_12_08_2018_20_26_26.png (28.26 KiB) Viewed 7733 times
------
Update: Changed the CPU num back to 1 and it worked! I'm on the "Install Mac OS X" screen! Thank you!
Attachments
SnowIso_log1-1.zip
(27.81 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Last edited by snowyreturns on 13. Aug 2018, 07:53, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

snowyreturns wrote:Changed the CPU num back to 1 and it worked! I'm on the "Install Mac OS X" screen!
Excellent! The OSX installer can be a little sensitive as the number of CPUs goes. After a successful installation though, you can increase the number of CPUs to 2 (or 3) with no problem.

Other things that you might want to consider:
  • Change the network card from the "PCNet-FAST III" to the template default of "Intel PRO/1000 MT Server". They are *not* recognized by OSX. I'm not sure why you changed that. Maybe in an effort to see if this was causing the crash? Please change it back.
  • Enable USB2 in the Ports » USB settings.
  • Increase the resolution with "VBoxManage setextradata SnowIso VBoxInternal2/EfiGraphicsResolution 1280x1024". For more information (and possible resolutions) see 3.14.1 Video Modes in EFI.
  • Set a pseudo-valid serial number, in case some applications need it (iTunes comes in mind). The command is "VBoxManage setextradata SnowIso VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemSerial ############", and I usually put my actual serial number, but I change the last digit. ;)
Marking as [Solved].
snowyreturns

Re: [Solved] 10.6 VM fails on 10.13. Panic on AppleACPIPlatform

Post by snowyreturns »

I got excited, but of course, running into problems again. Tell me if I should make a new post (and maybe under Mac OS Hosts forum, but I guess that depends on what the logs say) about my keyboard problems...
They are *not* recognized by OSX. I'm not sure why you changed that. Maybe in an effort to see if this was causing the crash?
When I tried to run the

Code: Select all

VBoxManage modifyvm
command, it didn't work - I got this:

Code: Select all

VBoxManage: error: Could not find a registered machine named 'SnowIso'
VBoxManage: error: Details: code VBOX_E_OBJECT_NOT_FOUND (0x80bb0001), component VirtualBoxWrap, interface IVirtualBox, callee nsISupports
VBoxManage: error: Context: "FindMachine(Bstr(a->argv[0]).raw(), machine.asOutParam())" at line 518 of file VBoxManageModifyVM.cpp
And when I checked the .vbox afterwards, it was almost empty (comparatively), and I tried to set everything back to how it was through the interface, but didn't know what the values were for stuff like that NAT config.

So I successfully installed Snow Leopard into the .vdi. Removed the boot disc and it boots successfully every time (with 1 CPU).

If I change the CPU to anything greater than 1, it kernel panics. And it has a different backtrace in the kernel panic if I try to run with 2 CPUs vs with 3 CPUs. You can see a different log line in the "2-CPUs" file when compared to my original kernel panic pic in this thread, so there could be race conditions? If IOAPIC is continuing to initialize while the kernel panic is happening? Or it could just be buffered and then flushed differently when multiple CPUs are available. I'm just attaching the screenshots, tell me if you would also like to see the logs for these multiple CPUs-related kernel panics:
VirtualBox_SnowIso_13_08_2018_01_04_20--2-CPUs.png
VirtualBox_SnowIso_13_08_2018_01_04_20--2-CPUs.png (28.19 KiB) Viewed 7729 times
VirtualBox_SnowIso_13_08_2018_01_03_06--3-CPUs.png
VirtualBox_SnowIso_13_08_2018_01_03_06--3-CPUs.png (30.79 KiB) Viewed 7729 times
----
(I'll go into the keyboard/mouse problems here, and we can cut+paste to another thread if it doesn't belong here.)

[Mod edit; text was indeed copied/pasted to the new thread (see below), there's no point in having it duplicated here, especially when it doesn't have to do anything with this thread.]
snowyreturns

Re: [Solved] 10.6 VM fails on 10.13. Panic on AppleACPIPlatform

Post by snowyreturns »

Since this thread's issue is solved, I have started a new thread about the keyboard issues here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=89192