Can anyone recommend a Linux distro + version that works?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
RagingAvatar
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Fedora 9

Can anyone recommend a Linux distro + version that works?

Post by RagingAvatar »

As per topic.
kettcar

Post by kettcar »

Try Elive for Macbooks (if you have one): http://elivecd.org/gb/Download/MacBook/
RagingAvatar
Primary OS: Mac OS X Leopard
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Fedora 9

Post by RagingAvatar »

Well, i needed a full featured distro to do programming in (I should have been more specific in my original question..)

I couldn't get Redhat 5.1, 5.2 or 6.2 to work under Virtualbox and ran off and started using QEMU.

Redhat 9 worked under QEMU very well and so I thought I'd better give Virtualbox another go then because the Virtualisation should offer a significant speed increase..

Redhat 9 runs flawlessly under Virtualbox - with MASSIVE performance boosts over QEMU.

I am running it on a stock black Macbook with 512mb ram.[/b]
konfuzed

Redhat 9 on OS X?

Post by konfuzed »

Dear RagiingAvatar,

I've attempted a few times, with no success, to visit the blogspot link in your messages. I've got a black, 13", 2GHz Core Duo (not 2) Macbook and I'm trying to run Ubuntu 7.04 thru VirtualBox. Everything works well except sound. No matter what I do, I cannot get any sound thru my speakers. I found your recommendation for Redhat 9 and just wanted to ask, is that a free distro or did you buy a disc set? Where can I get ver. 9? Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.
konfuzed

Living up (or down) to my screen name . . .

Post by konfuzed »

Dear RagingAvatar,

Please disregard my latest post. I revisited my VirtualBox Guest Ubuntu. I'd found an old problem ticket on VirtualBox's site referring to the sound problem. There was mention of the Null audio drivers. I went back to my VirtualBox Ubuntu settings and changed the sound preference from Null to Core Audio and now sound works perfectly in my Linux guest! Maybe this will help anyone else who has experienced a similar problem.

Still, if you'd highly recommend Redhat 9, I'd be interested in info on where to get a distro and any installation tips. I'm very new to Linux, so please excuse any inappropriate terminology.