[Solved] Another: Error relaunching VirtualBox VM process: 5

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jonoboy

[Solved] Another: Error relaunching VirtualBox VM process: 5

Post by jonoboy »

I am using, as host Windows 10 Pro 1803.
I am using VirtualBox 5.2.12. This has all been working fine.
I haven't used VirtualBox for a month, then suddenly on starting the WinXP machine I get the error:

Error relaunching VirtualBox VM process: 5
Command line: '60eaff78-4bdd-042d-2e72-669728efd737 -suplib-3rdchild --
comment WinXP - -startvm b8215d6g-8ddI 4bfa-9dbf-5bI 8659454f2 --no-
startvm-errormsgbox --sup-hardening-log=D:\VirtualBoxVMs\WinXP\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'(rc=-104)

Please try reinstalling VirtualBox.
where: supR3HardenedWinReSpawn what: 5 VERR_INVALID_NAME (-104) -
Invalid (malformed) file/path name. [/i]

Then on clicking OK, I get message:

Failed to open a session for the virtual machine WinXP.
The virtual machine 'WinXP' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'D:\VirtualBoxVMs\WinXP\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.
Result Code: E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component: MachineWrap
Interface: IMachine {b2547866-a0a1-4391-8b86-6952d82efaa0}

So I disabled McAfee AV, exported the appliance, uninstalled virtualbox, restarted laptop and re-installed VirtualBox 5.1.38, restarted laptop and then imported the appliance. The error remains.
I have looked around on the forum. Tried a few suggestions including the modifying the Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VBoxDrv\Start from 1 to 3. This only made matters worse.
I really do appreciate some help. Many thanks
Attachments
VBoxHardeningLog.zip
(12.32 KiB) Downloaded 736 times
Last edited by socratis on 9. Jun 2018, 22:38, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Another: Error relaunching VirtualBox VM process: 5

Post by socratis »

jonoboy wrote:So I disabled McAfee AV
Sometimes (actually most of the times) disabling is not enough, you need to uninstall the antivirus. Just open your hardening log and search for "System32\drivers\mf", where "mf*" are the McAfee drivers loaded.

Please read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some generic guidelines/ideas. Remember, these are guidelines, not the exact solution, you have to use your judgement...
jonoboy wrote:... exported the appliance ... then imported the appliance
There is no need to import/export your VMs unless you plan to use another virtualization program, which you don't. Just let your VMs be...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
jonoboy

Post by jonoboy »

Many thanks. :D
Removing McAfee completely and reinstalling VirtualBox solved the problem. Incidentally, McAfee has been responsible for "corrupting" some of my latest Windows 10 updates. I have had to roll back, disable the AV and reinstall the update.

Somewhere on this forum, someone stated that the Semantic Endpoint protection can cause problems with VirtualBox. I have noticed that Trusteer Endpoint Protection, if started, can also cause issues ( not all the time), not only with VirtualBox but also with wireless printers, Microsoft Edge. I have never had to uninstall it, only stop it to resolve issues.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Trol188

Re: [Solved] Another: Error relaunching VirtualBox VM process: 5

Post by Trol188 »

Thank you !
Uninstalling "Trusteer Endpoint Protection" solved the VERR_INVALID_NAME problem starting a VM.
My VirtualBox is Version 5.2.12 r122591 (Qt5.6.2)
jonoboy

Post by jonoboy »

Is there going to be any resolution with VirtualBox so that we can run McAfee and Trusteer / Symantic endpoint. One option would be to be able to run the VirtualBox turning the hardening off which is causing so many problems. Is this possible?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Let's start with the last question, because it's easier: NO. There's no way to turn off hardening.

You've got to realize that hardening is not the problem. Once you (and the software developers) realize that you cannot be poking around in other processes without being properly signed, then the first question will be an obvious "McAfee and Trusteer have to fix their stuff". No other alternative. Pretty much end of discussion.
Dark_Wolf_BR

Post by Dark_Wolf_BR »

Hi everybody
Same error to me.
Windows10 Pro, Oracle VB 5.12

I don´t have McAV. Last week, it was working like a charm. Yesterday, the Hell started!
I only installed de MV C++ 2008 redistributable pack for another aplication, after the installation of Oracle VB.

I read - Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues

I de-installed it (MVC++).
De-installed Oracle VB.
CCleaned the area.
Disabled MsDefender.
Re-started the MF machine.
Re-installed de Oracle VB (5.12).

Still the same..... Cracks.... and no VM´s works.
Still trying.....

Regards,

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
You don't lose when you fall, you loose when you give up.
Last edited by socratis on 14. Jun 2018, 21:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed obfuscated URLs.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Dark_Wolf_BR wrote:I read - Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues
Read it again. Start uninstalling programs. Something is interfering. Use your imagination...
Ericka Zavala

Post by Ericka Zavala »

Trol188 wrote:Thank you !
Uninstalling "Trusteer Endpoint Protection" solved the VERR_INVALID_NAME problem starting a VM.
My VirtualBox is Version 5.2.12 r122591 (Qt5.6.2)
Me too I just uninstalled it and it worked! :D
Dark_Wolf_BR

Post by Dark_Wolf_BR »

After listing the installed programs in date order,

I found,

Microsoft Report Viewer Redistributable 2008 (KB971119)

that was installed after the date of installation of Oracle VB.
I uninstalled it.
Uninstalled Oracle VB.
CCleaned the area.
Re-started the MF machine.
Re-installed Oracle VB (5.12).

Working as well!

What a such incompatibility with two MS programs?

Really something was interfering.
Now, my imagination is sayng that are something wrong with the code...

Hope to help others with same issue.
Regards to all.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Dark_Wolf_BR wrote:After listing the installed programs in date order,
Now that's a smart idea! Got to keep that in mind...
Dark_Wolf_BR wrote:Microsoft Report Viewer Redistributable 2008 (KB971119)
That's bizarre, to say the least. It's baffling why that would interfere with VirtualBox.
Dark_Wolf_BR wrote:What a such incompatibility with two MS programs?
What two MS programs?
Dark_Wolf_BR wrote:Now, my imagination is sayng that are something wrong with the code...
Yes and no. For one, I can't think of a good reason why the Microsoft Report Viewer would want to interfere with VirtualBox, and two there's more than the code, there are the signatures as well. Please re-read the FAQ.
jephilc

Post by jephilc »

Hi all, thanks very much for the information here - I too have just uninstalled Trusteer endpoint and it has fixed the VERR 5 invalid name problem.
Cheers
jonoboy

Post by jonoboy »

I am running some French car diagnostic software. This software also checks for injected DLLs and verifys their signing. This software has no issues with McAfee or Trusteer Rapport Endpoint.
Why does VB have this problem? Is there a description anywhere to explain how and what VB checks for. Otherise its going to be VmWare for me. I cant keep installing and re-installing McAfee and Trusteer Rapport Endpoint.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

jonoboy wrote:Is there a description anywhere to explain how and what VB checks for.
Are you kidding me??? Have you even read the replies to your own thread? For the 4th time(!), in this thread alone: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues.