[Resolved] Issues with keyboard losing its "shift".

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Guyver
Primary OS: Solaris
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 7

[Resolved] Issues with keyboard losing its "shift".

Post by Guyver »

I have several macros configured on my "gaming" aka "programming" keyboard. It seems that some of the "shifted" characters in the macros are being dropped when passed to the Solaris 11.3 VM.
This seems to have started with 5.2.4 and continues with 5.2.6.

It is not consistent on which "shifted" characters it loses the "shift".

When this happened using RDP to a regular windows physical box, I had to change where the keyboard combinations were handled to the local windows machine, instead of on the RDP host machine.
Is there a way to force the keyboard combinations to be handled on the VBox Host before passing to the VBox Guest OS?
Last edited by socratis on 16. May 2018, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Resolved].
Guyver

Re: Issues with keyboard losing its "shift".

Post by Guyver »

This continues to be an ongoing issue all the way through 5.2.10.
JEBjames
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Centos, Ubuntu, Debian, Various Windows

Post by JEBjames »

I've had the shift key problem on my laptop. But mainly (only?) when I use Synergy (keyboard/mouse sharing) to paste text from my desktop to my laptop. I assumed it was just a synergy glitch as typing the same thing on my laptop keyboard directly worked.

Can you give a specific example? i.e. what is the macro supposed to send, and what is it actually sending? Does it always sending it incorrectly?
Guyver

Post by Guyver »

Supposed to type

Code: Select all

s_ur0P3
Ends up looking like

Code: Select all

s_UR)P3
s-uR)P#
s_ur0P3
s_ur0P3
s_uR)P3
s-uR)P3
s-uR)P#
s-uR)P#
s_ur0P3
s-uR)P#
s-uR)P#
s-uR)P3
s-uR)P#
s-uR)P#
s_ur0P3
s_UR)P3
s-uR)P#
s-uR0P3
s_UR)P3
s-uR)P#
s_ur0P3
s-uR)P#
s-uR)P#
s_ur0P3
s-uR)P#
s-uR)P#
s_UR)P3
s-uR)P#
s_ur0P3
s-uR)P#
s-uR)P#
s_ur0P3
s-uR)PW
The same macro works fine inside RDP.
Last edited by socratis on 14. May 2018, 20:45, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [code] tag for better readability
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Guyver wrote:The same macro works fine inside RDP.
I'm not sure I understand what's going on here. Can you eliminate RDP from the equation and deal with the VM while sitting in front of the host?
Guyver wrote:I have several macros configured on my "gaming" aka "programming" keyboard.
Can you add a delay in between events? What's sending these macros to the VM? A background process (must be)? Something similar could happen with "VBoxManage", that's why I'm asking what's involved in the procedure.
Guyver wrote:when passed to the Solaris 11.3 VM.
Only on a Solaris VM? Have you tried anything else? If so, what were the results? Because I might have to move this to "Solaris Guests" then...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Guyver

Post by Guyver »

I only run a Solaris VM, with Solaris, I have no need for any other OS.

I can build out another VM to see if it is indeed Solaris or VBox itself.

The question I started with was how can we force VBox to interpret the keystrokes on the host side before passing them on to the VM?
Last edited by socratis on 15. May 2018, 19:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Guyver wrote:how can we force VBox to interpret the keystrokes on the host side before passing them on to the VM?
You can't. With the exception of very few keystrokes like Alt+Ctrl+Del on Win/Linux, Cmd+Q/H on OSX, everything else gets unfiltered to the VM.

If you're into programming, see https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/KeyboardInput
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Guyver

Post by Guyver »

Interesting that there is another "shift" related issue reported with different guest OSes now.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=80400

Odds on related to my own as they report issues with single-shift or double-shift?

I do have automatic capture enabled since the guest additions allow the mouse to move in and out of the VM.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

Do you get the same result if you change the keyboard emulation mode? Fully shutdown the guest and run the following command:
VBoxManage modifyvm <uuid|vmname> --keyboard usb
Start the guest and see if the problem persists. If it does and you want to switch back to the normal mode then:
VBoxManage modifyvm <uuid|vmname> --keyboard ps2
-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
Guyver

Post by Guyver »

No change in the "symptoms" of the issue. The only thing I see different is that the keys are passed slower. Seeing individual keys appear, where when set to normal, they all sort of "pop up".
Guyver

Post by Guyver »

Monkeying around with the macro editor, if I enable delay between keystrokes and add at least 1 millisecond between each keystroke, then there is no issue.
Once I get to 0 milliseconds, or turn delays off entirely, the problem crops up.

Timing issue on the keyboard interface/driver?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Guyver wrote:Timing issue on the keyboard interface/driver?
There is not a single human being that has 0 ms between keystrokes. There is a time delay added (can't remember how many ms off the top of my head, see https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/KeyboardInput), but this is definitely needed, because the keyboard buffer of several OSes just get overwhelmed with messages and they suffer a horrible, agonizing and painful death. ;)

I did suggest the delay earlier, as it seemed that your keyboard buffer suffered from a flood of events that simply couldn't be processed.
Guyver wrote:if I enable delay between keystrokes and add at least 1 millisecond between each keystroke, then there is no issue.
Great, marking as [Resolved].
Guyver

Re: [Resolved] Issues with keyboard losing its "shift".

Post by Guyver »

Uh. No.

That is what's called a "workaround" , a "kludge", a "hack".

It won't be resolved until I can remove the delay and have it work.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Uh, yes. If you can find me a person that can type with 0 ms delay, I can tell you that it's a workaround. Or a keyboard buffer that can process a bunch of keyboard scan codes, when it wasn't designed to do that. Until then, and since VirtualBox includes a time delay so that keyboard press event can be processed accurately, I'd say you'd have to do the same. Even if it's programmatic...

Actually, come to think about it, especially if it's programmatic, because something like that can't happen in real life.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@Guyver

It might worth taking a look and/or commenting on ticket #17709...