[WorksForMe] (Windows XP) PosReady 2009 BSOD crusoe.sys

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
phdsurvival

[WorksForMe] (Windows XP) PosReady 2009 BSOD crusoe.sys

Post by phdsurvival »

BSOD happens on real pc too, although i can't verify is it the same, and won't try it again on real pc.
This happens on any version of virtualbox, including latest.
It happens after setup finishes and restarts pc, after the countdown, meaning after reboot.
Safe mode leads to First Boot Agent which asks for migregdb.exe which i can't find on any disk, neither in any cab file.
Changing chipset, ram, video ram, or any setting in vbox doesn't fix this.
I tried dvd version and cd version of os, same error on both.
My pc has much more RAM than posready 2009 requires. Tried using minimum and maximum and various sizes in vbox settings.
I can't believe posready 2009 works for other people, it never worked for me.
My notebook is emachines E725 and supports windows from xp to 10.
My cd/dvd images are not damaged, because checksums are correct.
Although it says "cannot copy", these files don't exist actually, the first missing is that in screenshot, then bunch of other files if i skip that one.
Also why it asks for windows xp sp3 cd? I tried putting windows xp sp3 too, but such files are not found anywhere!
I specifically used: "POSready2009_CD.iso" (647 MB) and "en_windows_embedded_posready_2009_x86_dvd_283454.iso" (3.31 GB).
Actually that left mentioned (647 MB) iso is found in 2nd iso too.
Same problem happens in windows 10 or windows 7 or windows xp as host os.
My hdd is set as AHCI in bios.
Quickly after bsod when it resets probably it shows this black picture which i accidentally captured, it lasts few ms.
Attachments
posready2009.webm_snapshot_00.15_.jpg
posready2009.webm_snapshot_00.15_.jpg (34.26 KiB) Viewed 8205 times
VirtualBox_posready2009_01_05_2018_23_39_17.png
VirtualBox_posready2009_01_05_2018_23_39_17.png (8.72 KiB) Viewed 8208 times
posready2009.webm_snapshot_00.23.jpg
posready2009.webm_snapshot_00.23.jpg (90.71 KiB) Viewed 8209 times
Last edited by socratis on 17. May 2018, 17:17, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [WorksForMe].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: (Windows XP) PosReady 2009 BSOD crusoe.sys

Post by socratis »

phdsurvival wrote:BSOD happens on real pc too
That's not a good sign, I can tell you that much.
phdsurvival wrote:although i can't verify is it the same
The error code should tell you that as a start.
phdsurvival wrote:Changing chipset, ram, video ram, or any setting in vbox doesn't fix this.
Don't. Stick with the defaults. Delete your VM(s) including their files, you got nothing of value to lose. Create a new VM, with the XP template and set it up. Accept the defaults as a start.

If it crashes, we're going to need a complete VBox.log, from a complete VM run:
  • Gathering the necessary information:
    1. Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state).
    2. Observe the error, i.e. wait for the VM to crash? Complain about the missing file?
    3. Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
phdsurvival

Post by phdsurvival »

Here is log.
Attachments
posready2009-2018-05-14-00-24-42.zip
(21.46 KiB) Downloaded 48 times
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

The slightly odd thing here, is that your log file says that your system has a Pentium Dual-Core T4300 processor yet the BSOD is being triggered in crusoe.sys which is the CPU device driver for the old Transmete Crusoe processor which was x86 compatible through the code-morphing software running on the VLIW core.

Is the version of POS Ready that you have targeted for a specific hardware platform that VirtualBox doesn't provide?

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

In that case I assume this is a P2V, not a new install.

We've had probably similar errors before with other CPU drivers, e.g. the XP migration FAQ mentions intelppm.sys. The fix in the latter case is simply to delete intelppm.sys. So back up the VM and delete crusoe.sys. You may have to access the VDI from another Windows VM in order to do this.

For clarity: this is a problem with XP, not with VirtualBox. XP wasn't designed to be imaged and moved to a new PC, it has a tendency to crash if the hardware changes. Usually this can be worked around if you tweak the installation before imaging it.
phdsurvival

Post by phdsurvival »

It is a new install on new virtual machine with standard settings, and i don't even know what means embedded and for what hardware platform. Is it even for a PC? Is this issue driver related? Should I try integrating all drivers into unattended setup? Microsoft says that Posready supports normal xp drivers. I can't post any links yet...

Although I would prefer more natural solution or explanation, I will try removing those 1 or 2 files. I know I will have to use some boot disk (like "active boot disk") which will allow me to peek inside installed xp.
And yes, my processor is weird, looks like it's actually "Intel Pentium T4300 @ 2.10GHz", but i remember somewhere it was called something like Intel Xeon or Pentium 3...

Here is metadata for my iso, which is normal and universal, just like windows 10 or xp are from microsoft or msdn:

Code: Select all

File Name       en_windows_embedded_posready_2009_x86_dvd_283454.iso
File Size       3394 MBytes
SHA1 Hash       0E9E37F9268BBB7181E0A1AE561C178382CC3014
File Type       DVD
Architecture    x86
Language        English
Release Date    2009-06-30 21:04:32
Product ID      744
File ID         39499
To be more exact, looks like problem is wrong detection of processor? And so wrong driver use. I don't think intelppm, but crusoe only, as bsod says. Here's working intelppm in my normal xp:
Attachments
processor.JPG
processor.JPG (98.21 KiB) Viewed 8153 times
Last edited by socratis on 15. May 2018, 06:55, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Enclosed the information in [code] tag for better readability
phdsurvival

Post by phdsurvival »

Ok, used deamon tools lite to mount my hdd image on host os and delete crusoe.sys. There was no intelppm.sys in system32/drivers/. Then same bsod happened mentioning processr.sys. So removed that too. Then it comes to FBA (First Boot Agent) and it installs various stuff, but at the end says "resetting install flag", and pc resets and it repeats forever.

Here is folder C:\Windows\FBA. If log file "FBALOG.TXT" or any other is helpful. Also I read https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forum ... indowseefs but turning of all in custom installation didn't change anything.
Attachments
FBA.zip
(202.9 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

You need an XP Embedded expert, not a VirtualBox expert. None of this sounds like a VirtualBox problem.

The BSOD with crusoe.sys has exactly the same symptoms as the usual intelppm.sys BSOD, which is caused by a badly written driver. What happens is that XP loads a driver, the driver discovers its hardware isn't there, and crashes the OS (because it never occurred to the driver's author to test this scenario). That's just what happens e.g. when trying to load intelppm.sys on a machine with an AMD CPU.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

phdsurvival wrote:It is a new install on new virtual machine with standard settings
That it cannot be, otherwise it would not be installing drivers for the wrong processor. Whatever you're doing, you are not installing XP from a standard, Microsoft supported install CD.
andyp73
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Assorted Linux, Windows Server 2012, DOS, Windows 10, BIOS/UEFI emulation

Post by andyp73 »

michaln wrote:You need an XP Embedded expert, not a VirtualBox expert.
I have used both extensively but not sure I would claim to be an expert in either!

As it is running FBA on first power-up then it is almost certainly a pre-configured image for a, what will now be a very old, specific POS or embedded system. I suspect that these aren't the genuine CD/DVD images obtained from Microsoft but are probably copies downloaded from some unknown source on the internet.

-Andy.
My crystal ball is currently broken. If you want assistance you are going to have to give me all of the necessary information.
Please don't ask me to do your homework for you, I have more than enough of my own things to do.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You're doing it wrong. First of all, I believe that you've downloaded the wrong ISO, that's why the whole thing is botched. Simply searching for "POS Ready 2009" takes you to Microsoft's Windows Embedded POSReady 2009 Evaluation CD, not to a torrent site of questionable content!

Then you download the ISO from the official Microsoft website:

Code: Select all

File Name       POSready2009_CD.iso
File Size       678625280 Bytes
SHA1 Checksum   143cb58be71e000cc205757c9965ce486189a589
I then installed once again the WinXP-POS without a problem. I say "once again" because I did it successfully 5 months ago, as a part of a ticket investigation. Things that I deviated from the default:
  • RAM: 768 MB. The requirements from the MS page call for 512 MB minimum, so I gave it some breathing room.
  • VRAM: 128 MB. No recent OS has complained about too much VRAM...
  • 2D/3D acceleration: On. See above.
  • CPUs: 2. Why not, it makes the whole thing much more responsive.
  • Floppy: Off. Don't need it.
  • IOAPIC: On. You need it for multiple CPUs.
  • PAE: On. I always do that, for all my VMs.
  • NICs: 4. HostOnly, Internal, NATservice, Bridged. I always do that, for all my VMs.
No problems. As I said, I think you're starting with the wrong ISO. Try the Microsoft one...
 Edit: It works with the default WinXP template, except RAM == 512 MB, as per MS requirements. 
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
phdsurvival

Post by phdsurvival »

I tried what you said. And although no any bsod now, it still says resetting setup flag after FBA runs for 10 minutes, just after it copies bunch of files which is after installing vc++ redist 2005, i think some of them had words "vga" or "fon"... And that ticket is posted by me. Here's FBALOG.TXT (i didn't do any reset after first but immediately powered off and collected this file using deamon tools from hdd image).

I verified iso checksum and it's same. Actually i am sure even my previous large iso was original, because i downloaded it from [ModEdit: URL removed] and verified hashes on https://www.heidoc.net/php/myvsdump.php.

Hmm...one of last lines in log is:

"[FBALaunch] C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe /c C:\WINDOWS\FBA\do.cmd "\i386\WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe /q /norestart (ExitCode: 0xbc2)"

So I looked up microsoft installer exit codes here https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/librar ... s.85).aspx, and i converted that hex to decimal which is 3010, it means "ERROR_SUCCESS_REBOOT_REQUIRED". So it's not error, I am just to keep it rebooting until all finishes???
I'm gonna try and see if progress is happening or really all is resetting and repeating, i will keep watching log file after each reboot.

OMG, IT WORKS!!! All I had to do was wait! Resetting flag happened 4 or more times and 8 to 10 reboots happened, probably because various updates required reboot, and actually something was installing, then it finally came to login screen, and yeah as you see my processor is properly detected! I don't know what caused bsod and wrong processor detection, it think that are some settings related to PAE or RAM or VRAM or ACPI... I don't think it's due to wrong windows iso, i will try again with my large msdn iso just to confirm. And i will try to detect what is exact difference in settings that causes cruose.sys and similar bsod. Happy me! First time that it works! WIll also try to figure out what bsod is displayed on my real pc.

And luckily i have permanent key which allow me to avoid evaluation version. Unlike ordinary xp where you have to activate xp separately, embedded is activated by entering different ("full version") cd key. In case anybody needs it: [ModEdit: Key removed] or [ModEdit: Key removed].
While evaluation is: [ModEdit: Key removed].

The main reason why i want to try embedded it because microsoft makes updates for it, and my internet download manager has problems on normal xp. It can't work with some https, even after doing this as idm said: http://www.internetdownloadmanager.com/ ... blems.html
So i guess on xp embedded it should work. I was never able to access [ModEdit: URL removed] or [ModEdit: URL removed] or [ModEdit: URL removed] on chrome on xp. "ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH"
Of course firefox esr can do that, but idm can't. Internet download accelerator can tough. But ida hasn't good video capture as idm. I contacted idm for this and they say are working on it.
Actually not only that, but microsoft released very new update for cryptographic libraries (newer than mentioned in above idm link), but they don't work on normal xp, yes i made registry folders and keys exactly as microsoft said:
https://cloudblogs.microsoft.com/micros ... eady-2009/
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... in-windows
Attachments
VirtualBox_nijaz_15_05_2018_16_15_23.png
VirtualBox_nijaz_15_05_2018_16_15_23.png (44.9 KiB) Viewed 8108 times
FBALOG.zip
(8.87 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Last edited by socratis on 15. May 2018, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed URL.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Please do NOT share activation keys.
Please do NOT link to warez sites.
phdsurvival

Post by phdsurvival »

Both images work, meaning DVD and CD versions. The thing that fixes BSOD in both cases is "Enable I/O APIC". No other setting was responsible. I tried only PAE/NX, more or less RAM, etc. In this case it works with default wizard settings, meaning only 128 MB of RAM, although of course it won't work without paging file which has to be made during setup. The only thing that worries me now is why BSOD happens on my real pc. I don't know what means APIC and is it same as ACPI, because on my real PC and in virtualbox also it says that processor location is on ACPI... Anyway, gonna try on real pc now, i think the way to see BSOD is to press option which appears if we press F8 "Disable automatic restart on system failure".

Also it can work if we have BSOD, just remove crusoe.sys and processr.sys. No consequences, although processor doesn't appear in device manager, but appears with proper name in my computer properties and other places. Of course, it's not recommended to do this, but turn on APIC, at least for virtualbox, because it's more normal and faster.

And people who see resetting setup flag should not give up, but just wait for few restarts, it's normal for embedded windows versions.

And it's good that guest additions work on embedded xp too.
Attachments
no processor.png
no processor.png (51.91 KiB) Viewed 8087 times
CPU on ACPI.png
CPU on ACPI.png (49.97 KiB) Viewed 8087 times
phdsurvival

Post by phdsurvival »

Ok, works on real pc too. It was different bsod on real pc, 7b. Just needed sata drivers for which i had to use easy2boot program just like i did for normal xp. Except besides using Firadisk + driverpack i had to select my driver in posready setup at beginning, so it will install later on os. If we do not select it hard disk will be available during setup but won't be available after restart on os. That was cause of bsod. In normal xp setup i didn't have to choose any driver during setup, easy2boot would do it automatically, i.e. install driver during setup. But posready is just one step installation, so there is no step 2 as easy2boot expects. Anyway, installed normal drivers for xp, except realtek hd audio had problems, had to install using inf file and hardware wizard instead of setup.exe, and Dritek Launch Manager doesn't work, and could not install Synaptics touchpad, some weird errors... And had few error during FBA, it could not detect setup cd, which is actually usb, because actually easy2boot makes virtual one, and if we don't make it using step2 its not available of course. But even if we make it is not on proper driver letter, and sometimes FBA won't let us choose any other location...so few files did not get installed. WIll try to use more normal setup where i make unattended and integrate drivers, so there will be available driver for FBA setup... But that's beyond virtual box, so problem is finally solved, goodbye!