Feature request: support for parallel interface

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
DocWilliam

Feature request: support for parallel interface

Post by DocWilliam »

I was comparing several free virtualization products (VMware server, MS Virtual PC, qemu) and I found Virtualbox very promising. Nevertheless I am missing some features. It is mainly the support for some interfaces, like the parallel port where my printer is connected. Serial interfaces are missing too, but that doesn't bother me so much.
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

Parallel port isn't there, but there's almost 0 demand for it, so we better spend our resources elsewhere. It wouldn't be difficult to implement, and the current serial device (and the QEMU source) could be a guideline how to implement it in little time.

Having mentioned the serial port, it is there in 1.4 but no host serial port yet.
santalaus

Post by santalaus »

Hello,

Maybe an USB to Centronics Adapter ist the Solution to connect an parallel Printer.

Nico
ingolf

Post by ingolf »

Hallo,

i need a parallelport for my dongle on LPT1. Without parallelport i can't use Virtulabox for my software.
Is it possible to implement this in one of the next versions?

Thanks Ingolf
klaus
Oracle Corporation

Post by klaus »

As far as I can tell no one at innotek will spend time on this in the forseeable future (priority is too low). But as VirtualBox is open source, anyone can implement it (or get someone else implementing it). It's not that difficult, as there is now a working serial driver that can serve as a sample.

What makes it more difficult is that you immediately need host parallel port support, which is tricky, as dongles tend to do unusual stuff which might not be possible to do from user mode in Linux and/or Windows.
stustev

parallel port

Post by stustev »

Gentlemen,
I too, need a parallel port for a dongle. It would be GREATLY appreciated. :)
thanks
Stuart
There are 10 types of people in the world
Those that understand binary/ladder and those that don't
stustev

parallel port

Post by stustev »

Gentlemen,
I have been using VMWare for approximately 5 years. I upgraded two licenses to Workstation 6. My windows installs would no longer work. I called VMWare as you get 30 days installation support with a license upgrade. I was told the problem is a Windows problem, call Microsoft. I explained to them I had not changed by Windows install I had only upgraded my Workstation. They had no answer except to call Microsoft. I have not called MS and do not intend to. I will use another virtualiztion product. I will not get in between two vendors telling me the problem is the other vendor. Would someone enable parallel ports so I can remove the rest of my VMWare products as quickly as possible?
I will also need serial ports but not as fast.
If I thought there was even a remote chance of me implementing these I would do it. I am a APT Numerical Control programmer but not a programmer of any other language.
thanks
Stuart
stustev

parallel port

Post by stustev »

I have downloaded and compiled the OSE with the parallel support. I have tried the last two weekends to get it to work. Are there any instructions or special commands to make it work. I am going to install a new Windows 2000 hard drive as maybe the install I currently have didn't install parallel port drivers because there was no parallel port available.
thanks
Stuart
chris972

Post by chris972 »

Hi !
ingolf wrote:i need a parallelport for my dongle on LPT1. Without parallelport i can't use Virtulabox for my software.
Same thing for me.
GRS

Hi

Post by GRS »

I also need a parallel port to run a printer that is used for printing specific dockets with windows based software. The vendow has no plans to provide a linux based solution adn as this software plus printer is a must then I have to find a way to use the parallel port.

I also have a dongle use on a parallel port.

Be interested to know either a work around or when paralle support will be available.
GRS
mandark

Post by mandark »

first of all thanks for your work!

i would also vote for a parallel-port support. i would use it for an old scanner, only win-XP has drivers for. since im now using vista x64, it would be a great way to keep using the scanner.

i can imagine, that more people would have use for this.
Technologov
Volunteer

Post by Technologov »

I can tell you that some newer motherboards doesn't have LPT port at all, so for me the relevance of LPT is very small.
Aspirit

Post by Aspirit »

There are millions of people with working Parallel ports and many of the users of Virtual machines need at least one running, just to communicate with their printer. There is a real need to verify performance with same in this environment.

I have a legacy printer that is a workhorse and will run it until it dies. It needs a parallel port, though.

All of the other competing VM applications allow running a parallel port. How can one simulate the complete environment without a parallel port if the host has one? To me, without parallel port support feature, this application, good as it is, has not been finished. Who decided that there would be no parallel port support? Was that part of the initial design layout decision? It seems very short-sighted to me.

If, as you say, it is so easy to do, why not spend a couple of hours and add it. Many users would be very grateful. Right now, the only thing stopping me from using this as my primary VM is that one feature. I don't have any idea how to do it, so it is certainly not easy for me.

I see that someone has done it for the Linux host, but not for Windows.

Best of luck and hope someone will see the light.
stefan.becker
Volunteer

Post by stefan.becker »

Why not sharing Printer via Network?

Its a better method.
bonifaciy

Post by bonifaciy »

I also vote for adding parallel port support. I need it for accessing several JTAG emulators for different CPUs, CPLD, FPGA.

Thank you.