Gasterweiterung startet nicht

Allgemeine Diskussionen über den Einsatz von VirtualBox.
Miesmuschel

Gasterweiterung startet nicht

Post by Miesmuschel »

Hallo,
ich versuche Win10/x86 als Gast unter XP als Host einzurichten und verwende dazu VBox 4.2.16, weil es die letzte Version ist, die unter XP läuft.

Win10 lässt sich installieren, aber die Gasterweiterung startet in der VM nicht. Wenn ich versuche den Dienst "Virtual Bob Guest Additions" manuell zu starten, kommt die Fehlermeldung: "1053: Der Dienst antwortet nicht rechtzeitig".

Hat jemand einen Tipp, wie ich das ans Laufen bekommen kann?

Ich weiß, dass XP nicht mehr unterstützt wird, aber ich versuche gerade deswegen Win10 zu installieren, um mich in der VM austoben zu können, bevor ich es als Host installiere.
Last edited by Miesmuschel on 26. Apr 2018, 18:59, edited 1 time in total.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Gasterweiterung startet nicht

Post by socratis »

We're going to need to see a VM log from a complete VM run:
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Sie können DeepL translator verwenden, um Ihnen bei der Übersetzung zu helfen.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Ich glaube nicht, daß Windows 10 so als Gast unter Windows XP funktionieren wird.
Als die Version 4.2.16 herauskam, war noch nicht einmal Windows 8.1 veröffentlicht.
Die für Windows 10 benötigten Funktionen waren damals noch lange nicht entwickelt und eingebaut.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

True, very true Martin, I didn't even think about that parameter... :shock:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Miesmuschel

Post by Miesmuschel »

Mir ist klar, dass es Win10 noch nicht gab, als die genutzte VBox-Version erschienen ist, aber da andere Programme, die für Win7 geschrieben worden sind, auch unter Win10 laufen, besteht immerhin eine Chance, dass es grundsätzlich funktioniert.
Vielleicht liegt es ja auch nur an einer Kleinigkeit, denn die Gasterweiterungen ließen sich ohne Fehlermeldung installieren und der Dienst "Virtual Box Guest Additions" ist vorhanden.

Das Log habe ich angehängt. Fehler sind beim Starten und Beenden des Win10-Guests nicht aufgetreten.

-------------------
For non German native speakers I recommend http://www.deepl.com/translator for translation. It provides very nice results.
-------------------
I am aware that Win10 did not exist when the VBox version used was released, but since other programs written for Win7 also run under Win10, there is at least a chance that it will work.
Maybe it's just a trifle, because the guest extensions could be installed without error messages and the service "Virtual Box Guest Additions" is available.

I attached the log. Errors did not occur when starting and exiting the Win10 guest.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Attachments
W10_32_Test1-2018-04-24-07-13-13.7z
(14.68 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Miesmuschel wrote:since other programs written for Win7 also run under Win10, there is at least a chance that it will work.
Not a chance! This is not your Notepad, Minesweeper of Firefox. VirtualBox installs kernel drivers, goes really deep into the system. And it has to make these capabilities available to its guests.

Problem is that VirtualBox 4.2.16, doesn't have a clue about Win10, it was in the future. Even when Win10 came out, VirtualBox had to be issuing newer and newer version so that Win10 would work as a guest. They still have to do that...

So, I don't think that your strategy will work. You're more than welcomed to try, just know that you're on your own. I can't even install 4.2.16 on my host, it won't do it.

Finally, if you want to have even a small chance, do *not* select something ancient like WinNT when creating the VM, create a VM and choose the highest possible Win version. For 4.2.16, that would be Win8.1...
Miesmuschel

Post by Miesmuschel »

At first thanks for your ideas and please excuse my poor English.

I hoped that VirtualBox just have to scratch at the surface from the guest. So I wondered that even the start of the service crashed.

OK, I also wondered that no version newer than 4.2.16 can run under XP as host. I never found a hint that the support for XP was canceled.
It seems to be as you wrote. There are some very specific modification for every version and subversion of Windows.

When I created the VM I selected "Other Windows". I think it's a good idea to try "Win 8.1". I will test it soon and report.

Another idea was to test a newer Guest addition or/and Extension Pack (4.2.28, 4.3.40, 5.2) without changing the version of VirtualBox on the host. Because it would take a lot of time maybe someone can tell me if that plan has any chance of success.

Could you find any hint for the trouble out of the VM log?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Miesmuschel wrote: I never found a hint that the support for XP was canceled.
Support for XP hosts was officially dropped with the release of 5.0.0. It was announced quite prominently at the time (I know because I was still an XP user at that time), plus you need only check the user manual section 1.4 Supported Host Operating Systems and notice that XP is not listed there.

I should mention that although support for XP was officially dropped with 5.0.0, in actual fact it worked fine for that release and many releases after. I'm afraid I can't tell you how many, because somewhere in the 5.0.x branch I finally abandoned my beloved XP and upgraded to Win10.

As far as I'm aware, XP continued to be supported by all remaining releases in the 4.x branch (though that's not of much help since 4.x has itself been retired). I'm certain of this since, as mentioned, I was still using XP through that whole period and well into the 5.x period.

I'm not certain what was the oldest version I tried to install Windows 10 on. I think I succeeded with 4.3.x on an XP host, but I'm not certain of that. However it was of course necessary to choose a recent Windows template: i.e. Win8.1 or Win10.
Miesmuschel

Post by Miesmuschel »

XP is with big distance my most favorite OS. Everything else I have tested is less simple, clear and fast. Newer OS primarily have more playing tools but nothing I need.
But moaning doesn't help. XP has been killed by money makers. More and more applications refuse to work so I have to use a newer OS with all its disadvantages.

If I could run a newer version of VirtualBox it would make the chance bigger that Win10 guest works. In the last few years I have tried newer versions than 4.2.16 several times, but it doesn't work. Because of your experience I have installed VirtualBox 5.0.4 but it doesn't work. When I try to start any VM there are two error messages.
NtWriteVirtualMemory/Peb failed: 0xc0000022 (rc=-1073741790)

where: supR3HardNtChildScrewUpPebForInitialImageEvents
what: 5
Unknown Status -1073741790 (0xc0000022) (-1073741790) - Unknown Status -1073741790 (0xc0000022)
Für die virtuelle Maschine XP_Prof_Kopie konnte keine neue Sitzung eröffnet werden.

The virtual machine 'XP_Prof_Kopie' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'D:\Dokumente und Einstellungen\CP\.VirtualBox\Machines\XP_Prof von CP\Logs\VBoxStartup.log'.

Fehlercode:E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Komponente:MachineWrap
Interface:IMachine {f30138d4-e5ea-4b3a-8858-a059de4c93fd}
I have attached the VBoxStartup.log.

What I have figured out:
4.2.16 is the last working version on all my computers. 4.2.16 was released in 7/2013.
In 10/2013 VirtualBox 4.3.x was released first time. So I think that something generally was changed and that is not compatible with a component of my similary configured computers.

With VirtualBox 4.2.16 I also have tested to change the basic setting for the Win10 guest from "other Windows" to "Windows 8.1". That takes no effect. The guest additions don't work furthermore.
Attachments
VBoxStartup___Error_VB_5.0.4.7z
(1.25 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Miesmuschel

Post by Miesmuschel »

[Solution]

I think I have found a solution :D

With Win10 Guest in VirtualBox 4.2.16 I could install GuestAdditions 4.3.40. With this combination the "Virtual Box Guest Addition Service" runs and I can move the mouse pointer between guest and host window without host key.

I haven't tested other features from the guest additions yet but it is a significant step forward and it will help.

If there is someone who knows how I can make newer versions of VirtualBox run under XP I would be happy.
Last edited by Miesmuschel on 26. Apr 2018, 19:23, edited 1 time in total.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Miesmuschel wrote:If there is someone who knows how I can make newer versions of VirtualBox run under XP I would be happy.
That would be tricky, as it would require one or more experts to still be using an XP host. As far as I know, none of us are.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Please read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some generic guidelines/ideas.

Unfortunately your VBoxHardening.log ended up short. See if you can get an updated one, after you try to install the latest of the 4.3.x series, 4.3.40.
mpack wrote:That would be tricky, as it would require one or more experts to still be using an XP host. As far as I know, none of us are.
But we have XP VMs! :D
Miesmuschel

Post by Miesmuschel »

Holy Moly! :)

Yesterday and today I have spend many hours in testing several versions again. Mainly I have taken my second computer because I didn't want to block my main tool.
I figured out that VBox 4.3.12 runs on my second computer and not on my main computer. I think it makes sense to take care on the second one first. The installed hard- and software is very similar on both machines.

I attach the Hardening.log with version 4.3.40 installed. I have read the linked thread but I cannot dray conclusions out of it.
Ihave tried to find hints by google but there is nothing corresponding to the error messages.
Attachments
VBoxHardening____4.3.40.7z
(1.25 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Miesmuschel wrote:I have read the linked thread but I cannot dray conclusions out of it.
If you were expecting the "Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues" to spell it our for you, it won't. It talks about antivirus, debuggers, and things that we can't possibly know that you've installed in your computer, but are affecting your computer system wide.

For example Firefox is affecting your system, by installing a service (optional) that checks for updates (innocuous). Google Chrome does the same, but with way more services and you're not given an option, and it's a pest.

It needs your judgement/common sense as well. Just reading through the log, I found these two lines:
b84.8f0:     FileDescription: avast! Virtualization Driver
b84.8f0:     FileDescription: avast! self protection module
So, get rid of Avast. Completely. Nuke it to oblivion! See if that changes the situation...

And if it doesn't go through the list of programs that you have installed. See who might be the culprit. Re-read the linked thread, really, really carefully.
Miesmuschel

Post by Miesmuschel »

You speak right from my soul. It's a pest, really. Many little applications make changes deep in operating systems.

To kill Avast would not be a permanent solution for me. I spent a lot of time to find a suitable antivirus program which doesn't disrupt other programs.
So I have to set priorities and in the moment the antivirus program is more important for me. Furthermore Virtual Box 4.3.12 and 4.2.24 with guest addition 4.3.40 works on my computers as good as I need in the moment. Also XP has unfortunately no big future anymore. Actually I'm looking for an alternate OS. Linux Mint is nice but I'm using Windows software quite exclusively. I have tested Win10 but it's slow, ugly and very circumstantial. Maybe I wait for Win11.

Thank you very much for the help.