VB Disk drives not the same

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
glucaviggy

VB Disk drives not the same

Post by glucaviggy »

I'm trying to run some old CD games using VB. I'm using Win98 VB. My disk drive in Win10 is (E:) but in my computer in Win98 keeps coming up as (D:). I've checked the settings for it but it still says (D:) no matter what. When I click on 'disk (D:) it says not accessible, which is understandable since it doesn't exist. But why won't it recognise disk (E:)?

What do I need to do?

Help much appreciated, Thanks
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Re: VB Disk drives not the same

Post by BillG »

All the devices in a vm are virtual devices. They are not related to your host devices. The guest has its own C: and D: drives. Its C: drive is its virtual hard drive and its D: drive is its virtual optical drive.

If, from the vm, you want to read from a disk which you have in the physical optical drive (E:) on the host, you have to tell VirtualBox that.

While the vm is running, click the Devices tab at the top of the window. If you highlight Optical Drives you will see an option Host Drive 'E:' . Select it.
Bill
glucaviggy

Post by glucaviggy »

I think you may have found the reason I can't get it to work. In the optical disks tab it doesn't list any options. What do I need to do to get the option to select a host drive?
Last edited by socratis on 17. Mar 2018, 17:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
BillG
Volunteer
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

I am sure they are there if you look in the right place. Read my post again, carefully.

If you really can't find them, you can link the vm's optical drive to the host's drive from the settings of the vm (while the machine is shut down). And I mean shut down, not paused or saved.
Bill
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

It's best if you create an ISO and access that ISO from the guest, but if you want to access the host CD, see the following:
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.