[Solved] Guest Additions 5.x not supporting Win7 DirectX anymore

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
DdB
Primary OS: Debian other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: many

[Solved] Guest Additions 5.x not supporting Win7 DirectX anymore

Post by DdB »

message from Windows
message from Windows
Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-03-11 11-58-55.png (9.77 KiB) Viewed 2415 times
Hello,

among the many Guests, i am using from my debian-stretch box is one Win7 VM used for gaming (mostly). Until yesterday, i was still on VBox 5.1.34, today, i upgraded to 5.2.8. Unfortunately i did not install guest additions during my preliminary tests. But now, after installing them, i am getting errors (caused by a program in autostart, that is using more graphics). (2 messageboxes showing the error uploaded).
Just for fun i went on to start from a snapshot without the new GA (still on 5.1.34) and there, the only problem is, that vbox is asking for the newer GA's to be installed. :-)

What to do from here?
Attachments
message from the program
message from the program
Bildschirmfoto vom 2018-03-11 12-00-05.png (14.82 KiB) Viewed 2415 times
Last edited by socratis on 14. Mar 2018, 05:48, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Guest Additions 5.x not supporting Win7 DirectX anymore

Post by mpack »

Please provide a VM log file. With the VM fully shut down, right click it in the GUI. Select "Show Log" and save "VBox.log" (no other file) to a zip file. Attach the zip here.
DdB

Post by DdB »

Hey mpack,

you were so fast! Even on a sunday. I wasn't expecting that and - unfortunately - i do not get notifications from the forum.

I just reverted to the snapshot with the newest GA and let it create a logfile. Do not get confused, that VM is living since many years and contains quite a number of non standard configurations. The latter being unrelated to the new problem, as seen from the test (old GA still working fine). Could possibly be a regression???
Attachments
VBox.zip
as requested
(26.9 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'm sure you understand that DirectX calls in the guest are redirected to the OpenGL API on the host. I'm not entirely sure what's going on here, but I do not see the OpenGL interface being initialized, not even an attempt. Also (and perhaps this is related) I see that the host OpenGL vendor strings are "X.Org, Gallium, 3.0 Mesa", which I believe means a software OpenGL renderer on the host (though I don't claim to be a Linux host expert).

Is there anything unusual about your setup? Perhaps a nested VM?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:I see that the host OpenGL vendor strings are "X.Org, Gallium, 3.0 Mesa", which I believe means a software OpenGL renderer on the host (though I don't claim to be a Linux host expert).
Yes, you're absolutely right, this is the software rendering engine in case the host doesn't have hardware 3D acceleration available.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DdB

Post by DdB »

VBoxold.zip
with GA 5.1.34
(34.3 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Hello mpack,

this is interesting bit of info. I dont know. This is server grade hardware (with all ECC memory) but with cheap graphics, as i rarely need it, BUT...
Previously, there has not been a problem. I am going to attach the log from before updating guest additions for comparison.

And since it used to work just fine, methinks this might be a regression. What do you think?
DdB

Post by DdB »

Hi again,

i finally came to notice my mistake:
After so many years, the ways to make use of VBox are mostly automated (or on autopilot), just as updating the guest additions on a new (minor/major) release was. And while using the automation, i missed a detail:
Installing the DirectX part required safe-mode, which i neglected. After reinstalling in safe-mode, all is fine now.
Sorry for bothering and - please - mark this as solved!

Cheers
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

DdB wrote:Sorry for bothering and - please - mark this as solved!
No harm done, and... done, marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.