Feedback & comment to the Administrators and Moderators

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Shortcut to "Diagnosing Windows Hardening" on Windows Hosts Forum

Post by scottgus1 »

Could the mods please consider putting a "shortcut" sticky on the Windows Hosts forum to the Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues tutorial? That one's rather essential on Windows PCs now. Maybe (and this is a rrreeeaaallllllyyyy long stretch, I know) new posters might see it before they post their hardening issues questions. (yeah, I'm not holding my breath...)
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Feedback & comment to the Administrators and Moderators

Post by mpack »

Done. However I think we'll find that many (most?) of the folks you're thinking about have no idea what is and isn't a hardening issue, so they'll continue to ask, and we'll continue to point them in the right direction.
scottgus1
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Windows, Linux

Post by scottgus1 »

You're quite right about them still asking and not troubleshooting themselves first, Mpack. Thanks for stickying the shortcut!
raspy

TLS certificate issue

Post by raspy »

Could you please investigate TLS setup of download site? It is not possible to download anything, as Firefox says:

Your connection is not secure
Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

Thank you in advance.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@raspy
Do not use an HTTPS connection, use an HTTP one. There was a limited misconfiguration on the server, so please visit again https://virtualbox.org and https://www.virtualbox.org (I think it's the 1st one only, but try both of them). That should clear the configuration in Firefox.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Just to clarify that you must visit the https://virtualbox.org main page first, this causes your browser to update the security settings for the entire site, which was misconfigured until recently. You should then be able to visit the download page without seeing the security warning.

The reason is that the VirtualBox admins set a flag on the front page to indicate that it would be an error for any sub-page to be uncertified. However they had forgotten the download site, which is on http, not https.
raspy

Post by raspy »

Thank you. Your suggestion works, now the download proceeds.
N0YB

Re: TCP not working in bridged mode

Post by N0YB »

mpack wrote:
N0YB wrote: In all this time has there not been a solution to this other than using NAT?
N0YB wrote: Nowhere did mention an expectation of time to solve any problem.
Uh...

And if you waste my time again by using the "flag post" feature in a fit of pique then I will take stronger action.
Apparently you can't comprehend the distinction between a period of time fixing something and people fixing something over a period of time.

As for your threat. Thanks for proving my point and validating that the "flag post" was appropriate. You really ought to be removed from moderator.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@N0YB
I moved your post from the "TCP not working in bridged mode". There was nothing in your post that had anything to do with the thread's title.
  • You flagged a perfectly normal reply. Because you didn't like it the answer.
  • You called another user a "useless elitist". It doesn't even matter that the user is a more than proven seasoned VirtualBox veteran and volunteer. Could have been any user.
  • You keep on going. Not in the nicest of ways.
Remember that there's a limit to how many unrelated comments to the forums' discussions we can take. Veering off in personal vendetta will not be tolerated. And believe me, a veteran moderator is *not* going to be removed just because *you* think so. Not even close. On the contrary, the odds are not in your favor if this continues...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
BoxBoxBox

Can mods stop editing posts pointlessly?

Post by BoxBoxBox »

There doesn't seem to be a general discussion category so I am posting this here.

Is it normal that mods edit your posts willy nilly? Edited to remove a quote? Why?

Not only are some of the mods mean (seriously how can you interrupt a post?) they also edit your comments? Just asking if this is normal because I've not been to any other forum where that is acceptable unless its serious edits to remove NSFW/illegal content.

Suggestion: please don't edit comments without author's approval.
BoxBoxBox

Re: Can mods stop editing posts pointlessly?

Post by BoxBoxBox »

The quote that was edited out had a meaning. It was quoting part of a post I was replying to, not all of it.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: Can mods stop editing posts pointlessly?

Post by socratis »

BoxBoxBox wrote:There doesn't seem to be a general discussion category so I am posting this here.
There is a "Feedback & comment to the Administrators and Moderators" thread, which your post will reside shortly.

You do not mention which post you refer to, so I can't really tell who did that, but 99% that would have been me. I delete quoted messages, if it is a whole quote of the exactly previous message. Only then. It adds space and offers nothing to the flow of the discussion, it even tends to disrupt it it the quote level reaches more than 2. I even have a message in my signature, *and* I leave a detailed message in the edited message:
Last edited by socratis on 2018-02-01, 14:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
Are you referring to something like that?
u111331

Post by u111331 »

Hello,

sorry for the noise, just one post to be able to post link because I have a question requiring it.
And it seems there's a stupid rules which forces me to make this useless post, and wait until tomorrow to ask my question (isn't that really stupid?).

Stupidly yours,
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

u111331 wrote:isn't that really stupid?
Not if you're a moderator and you have to clean up all the spam, no. There's logic behind the madness...

And you can always obfuscate your URL. And it's a really rare thing to need to include a URL to describe a problem...
boxino

Re: [WorksForMe] WinXP will not start anymore

Post by boxino »

socratis wrote:
boxino wrote:I used SATA and it did not work while under IDE, at the moment it works.
The proposed templates are there for a reason. That reason? It works. If you start changing the "recipe" of the VM, you'd better know what you're doing. You can't change the sound card to SoundBlaster and expect it to work without some special treatment.

Stick with the defaults next time please. Marking as [WorksForMe].
Your level of arrogance has exceeded all limits. I'm sorry that this forum is so badly attended.