[Solved] Disabling hardware virtualization crashes host

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
LockyGaemr

Re: Disabling hardware virtualization crashes host

Post by LockyGaemr »

Here is a log of the machine running for at least 2 hours, frozen on the "Starting up..." screen, with no disk usage or anything.. I hope you can see that it hangs in this log, because 2 hours is a really long time for VirtualBox to figure out it's stuck..
Thank you all for providing help and some tips.
Attachments
windows 2000 new log.zip
(21.34 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

On the contrary, the log shows that the VM had not hung at all, it's a perfectly normal run all the way until it was shut down.

You need to grasp the difference between the VM hanging (which VirtualBox should detect), and code inside the guest hanging, which is not VirtualBox's business.
LockyGaemr

Post by LockyGaemr »

Ok, so according to VirtualBox, the machine doesn't hang :x , and I see NO DISK USAGE or any other usage of anything. Is it the fault in the host configuration or the CD/DVD used to install Windows 2000?
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I gave you the reason in the very first reply in this topic: I don't believe you have a valid (standard) Win2k install disk. I have no way to know what is non-standard about it, I can only tell you that many others have installed Win2k without any trouble.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

As for the configuration/recipe differences, here is what deviations you have from the defaults, along with some notes:
  • No floppy: Not at all necessary, no problem.
  • vRAM set to 128MB: The default is 20 MB, I don't see how this could be a problem.
  • USB set to 1.0: Again, there's no problem in downgrading the USB version.
So, all evidence points to something wrong with your installation medium...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
LockyGaemr

Post by LockyGaemr »

Hello. First of all, thanks for all of you trying to help me, but I looked it through the forums, and the problem was - Avast. It sounds weird, but really. Once I uninstalled the antivirus, it got almost instantly to the setup and could install it normally, without any trouble. I don't know how Avast could cause such a big trouble for me, and for some other users, but it was worth trying to uninstall it.
Now that the issue (2 issues) I had had been solved, you may close/lock this thread.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

By Toutatis! I think I will establish a new rule, before even attempting to ask any questions:
Uninstall ALL 3rd party antivirus.
Then we can talk...
Glad you finally got it solved, and for giving me a new... opening line ;)
Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.