[Solved] Disabling hardware virtualization crashes host

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
LockyGaemr

[Solved] Disabling hardware virtualization crashes host

Post by LockyGaemr »

Hello.
Just as the subject title says, if I try to disable the hardware virtualization option under "Settings->System->Acceleration->Enable VT-x/AMD-V" and start the guest OS, the host computer will reboot. This only happens on some guests (Windows XP and Windows 2000). I tried disabling Hyper-V from the host, because for most people this is the cause of the host rebooting, but to no avail. Also, I can't seem to install Windows 2000 guest. The installation process is normal up until the first restart.. Then it gets stuck on "Starting up..." boot screen. At first, I tried disabling hardware virtualization, but that just rebooted the host.. I also tried creating a new VM again and installing the OS from beginning. I could install other guests just fine (Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2016, Windows XP, Windows 7)..
I hope someone will find a resolution for my issue.
Last edited by socratis on 7. Mar 2018, 00:21, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Disabling hardware virtualization crashes host

Post by mpack »

Do you find this surprising? One of the reasons for using hardware virtualization is because it isolates more CPU instructions which could otherwise crash the host. It's one of the reasons why VT-x was invented in the first place. Ok, so you turned off VT-x and the host crashed - implying that you're using some kooky version of those guest OS's, otherwise we'd have seen this problem lots of times before.

Please search for previous posts on how to disable Hyper-v completely.
LockyGaemr

Post by LockyGaemr »

Ok, so that means I should use hardware acceleration as often as I can, right? But what's the explanation for Windows 2000? I tried 3 different editions, and none of them got past the "Starting up..." screen. That means it has to do something with my host configuration?
About disabling Hyper-V; it's done by unchecking it via the "Turn Windows features on or off" in Programs and Features?
BillG
Volunteer
Guest OSses: Windows 10,7 and earlier

Post by BillG »

You can make sure that the Hyper-V hypervisor (which locks VT-x or AMD-v) is not running by running a bcdedit command from an elevated command prompt.

Scroll down to the entry hypervisorlaunchtype. If it is set to Auto, change it to Off. If it is already off or not there at all, you are OK.
Bill
LockyGaemr

Post by LockyGaemr »

It's set to "Off", but I still can't figure out why I can't install Windows 2000. Does it have to do with my host configuration or the ISO image is just corrupt/wrong?
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

The usual reason is that the VM you created, or the disk drive, is not appropriate for even a high spec PC in circa 2000. And/or, it's not the official installer.
LockyGaemr

Post by LockyGaemr »

And what do you suggest to fix this?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Start by posting a VBox.log, long overdue ;)
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM (force close it if you have to).
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response. See the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
dlharper
Guest OSses: MS Windows (several versions); DOS

Post by dlharper »

On your Windows 2000 issue, see whether the suggestions in the manual section 12.3.4 are any help.
Last edited by mpack on 5. Mar 2018, 16:46, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Add link to manual.
LockyGaemr

Post by LockyGaemr »

Here is the log for the machine.
I executed the command in manual section 12.3.4 with the default value (1 millisecond), but still nothing happened.
Attachments
Windows 2000 log.zip
(21.22 KiB) Downloaded 113 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

1. VT-x/AMD-v is enabled in the settings.
  2. VT-x is alive and kicking on your host.
  3. I don't see a crash, I see a normal shutdown request.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
LockyGaemr

Post by LockyGaemr »

The machine doesn't crash, but it freezes: no disk usage, no dvd usage, no nothing.. At first I thought it was loading, but it was on the "Starting up..." screen for almost 30 minutes. I can upload the screenshot of the screen that I'm talking about if you want to. (do I upload it directly or do I have to zip it?)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

No need to upload it, we all know what it looks like ;)
Just shut down (kill) the VM and post the log. ZIPPED. Generally, I don't need to see a generic VBox.log from "a" run. I need to see the complete VBox.log from a run that had the problem. With those settings that caused the problem, not "I tried this and that but later I changed the settings"...
LockyGaemr

Post by LockyGaemr »

Yes, it's the log I posted before.. I tried those things first and THEN I posted the log..
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

No, it's not the log you posted before. That log stops after a shutdown request. Nothing hanged...