[Solved] Print to Wireless Printer from Wwin7/10 Guests

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
RossW

[Solved] Print to Wireless Printer from Wwin7/10 Guests

Post by RossW »

I have two Windows guests on OSX hosts and I’d like to print to my wireless printer from the guests - is the only way to do that by setting up the VMs in Bridge network mode? If so, is there any downside to making that change?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Print to Wireless Printer from Wwin7/10 Guests

Post by socratis »

Either Bridged mode, which will make your VMs look like another computer on the local network (you decide about the downsides of such a move), or by sharing the printer from your OSX host, and then using the HostOnly network on your guests to connect to the host.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
RossW

Post by RossW »

Thanks! I switched to Bridged mode (which will make it easier to access the VM from my other machines) and the printer setup could see the printer and finish the install.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback. Marking as [Solved].
For future reference and for anyone coming here, you should read ch. 6.2. Introduction to networking modes including the Overview table, which shows quickly what kind of connection is required to achieve what you want. And remember, you can always have more than one network card in your guest to cover multiple scenarios.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.