Windows 7 setup freezes at starting logo

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
ki_2004

Windows 7 setup freezes at starting logo

Post by ki_2004 »

Hi,
I have Windows 7 64 SP1 DVD and ISO. The DVD works fine on real hardware. I also have another ISO where MS hotfixes for Native NVMe drivers are included.
I have installed Oracle Virtual Box 5.2.8 on Windows 7 64 host along with applicable extension pack.
I am trying to install Windows 7 64 on it from the ISO file. The only time Windows 7 installation proceeds is when the disk controller is set as IDE.
For SATA,SCSI & NVMe the Windows 7 64 simply freezes at the starting logo forever.

I have tried
1. Disabling USB support (I have PS2 Mouse on Host)
2. Changing Chipset from PIIX3 to ICH9
3. Enable / disable EFI

But it did not help. Would greatly appreciate further support on this issue. I also wonder if native Windows 7 MS Drivers (Hotfixes 2990941 & 3087873) for NVMe would work fine with VirtualBox. Has anyone explored / attempted so with Windows 7 64?

My host hardware is Gigabyte 880GM USB3 board, AMD Atlon X2 CPU, 8 GB DDR3 RAM and virtualization is enabled in BIOS.
Thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Windows 7 setup freezes at starting logo

Post by socratis »

ki_2004 wrote:For SATA,SCSI & NVMe the Windows 7 64 simply freezes at the starting logo forever.
Stick with the defaults and see if it works. The template default calls for SATA, so I have no clue why yours is failing. That's the most proven setup of all. It most certainly worked in my case and for thousands of more users.

EFI most certainly won't work, it says so in the manual. Or if you search. So won't ICH9 not mature enough yet. Don't try things at random, you remind me of the 1000 monkeys and the Shakespeare works ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ki_2004

Post by ki_2004 »

Thanks for your response.

With defaults, it did not work. That's where I started to explore other options and try out other settings.
It only worked when Disk controller was IDE.
Has it something to do with Host in any way?

Update
---------
I downgraded to 5.1.18 and in this version it worked. I am yet to install full Windows 7 but at least it did not hang at logo and continued till detection of virtual HDD.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

• From the failed attempt with 5.2.8, please start the VM, get stuck, wait for about 5 minutes and if there's no progress force close the VM window.
  • Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.