[Solved] BLKCACHE_IOERR when using real disk as vmdk

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
mberemand
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Linux Mint, Arch, Win XP

[Solved] BLKCACHE_IOERR when using real disk as vmdk

Post by mberemand »

When I attempt to use a virtual machine where one of the mounted disks is a vmdk pointing to a real disk, VirtualBox throws the error:
The I/O cache encountered an error while updating data in medium "ahci-0-0" (rc=VERR_ACCESS_DENIED). Make sure there is enough free space on the disk and that the disk is working properly. Operation can be resumed afterwards.

Error ID: BLKCACHE_IOERR
Severity: Non-Fatal Error
HRID-2018-02-19-11-30-55.zip
Log file
(22.88 KiB) Downloaded 615 times
The disk in question is not locked for read/write by the host operating system in any way. The createrawvmdk command was run as Administrator and the virtual machine was also started as Administrator. If I turn on "Use Host I/O Cache" the error does not appear but the guest OS hangs. It is as if the disk is being used in read-only mode, even though Diskpart says it isn't.

Host machine is running Windows 10 64-bit. Various Windows and Linux guests are all affected. VirtualBox version 5.2.6 and 5.1.32 both encountered this error.
EDIT: version 5.2.7 build 120865 also doesn't work.
Last edited by socratis on 21. Feb 2018, 04:35, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
mberemand

Re: BLKCACHE_IOERR when using real disk as vmdk

Post by mberemand »

bump
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

This subject has been dealt with several times in the past (since Vista in fact), I'd have thought that a search would turn something up.

e.g. viewtopic.php?f=6&t=38914
mberemand

Post by mberemand »

I used several search terms in this forum as well as other sites and I only ever found suggestions to make sure I was running VBox as admin and to enable Host I/O caching. I did not see that particular thread. Previously, I made sure the READONLY attribute was cleared for the disk I was using, but that thread also mentions that I should OFFLINE the disk. After doing so, the problem is resolved. I'm not sure why it mattered, as I've been using the same configuration on Windows 7 and 10 hosts for a while and only just now encountered this issue with my most recent Windows 10 computer. I've never had to OFFLINE disks for them to work for raw vmdk. I could even get away with leaving drive letters assigned if the filesystem was ext4 or something that the Windows host couldn't read.

Anyways, thank you for your help.
Asad MIrza

Re: [Solved] BLKCACHE_IOERR when using real disk as vmdk

Post by Asad MIrza »

Issue resolved ,
Go to
->Virtual Box settings
->Storage
->Controller:SATA
(Check the option "Use Host I/O Cache")