directx/graphic card issue

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
Blast

directx/graphic card issue

Post by Blast »

Hi everyone,

I am currently trying to host a game - DCS world, a flight sim combat -on virtual box with win7 pro installed on it. But everytime i start the game, it crashes. Here is what the log game says:
ERROR DX11BACKEND: DX11Renderer::init() failed - D3D11CreateDevice() returned DXGI_ERROR_UNSUPPORTED
From what i heard, it is related to the virtual graphic card, and the game need a physical graphic card in order to run properly. So i would need a "gpu passthrough" between the host and the guest.

Does someone knows how to solve this issue?

Ty for your help

PS: My graphic on the host is a NVIDIA GEFORCE gtx 850M
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: directx/graphic card issue

Post by mpack »

First, that's an error message, not a crash.

If you have the GAs installed then VirtualBox drivers provide Direct3D 8/9 support. There is no Direct3D 11 support as yet. Also there is no "GPU passthrough" (at least not unless you have a Linux host which supports VT-d, and a graphics card dedicated to the purpose - and even then I can only remember two reports of anyone managing to get it working).

High performance gaming just isn't the forte of virtual machines I'm afraid.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:and even then I can only remember two reports of anyone managing to get it working
Two? I'm only familiar with one from Perryg, and that was 1) a pain in the kiester, 2) long time ago, 3) nothing spectacular to write home about. Do you have a link for the 2nd successful attempt? Nothing vital, just for reference...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Blast

Post by Blast »

Then according to your answers virtual box is not going to works with directx11. Its very disappointing considering that virtual box is able to operate with directx9 but not with directx11, a 10 years old technology...

Do you know an alternative to virtual box that can do the job?

PS: My host is running with windows 8.1 and the graphic card is an Nvidia Geforce GTX 850m
towo2099
Volunteer
Primary OS: Debian Sid
Guest OSses: Android, Linux

Post by towo2099 »

Do you know an alternative to virtual box that can do the job?
Yes, run that server bare metal.
Blast

Post by Blast »

I don't understand, can you detail?
Last edited by socratis on 13. Feb 2018, 02:02, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You got to run the game either on your host, or dual-boot. But it's got to be on real, not virtual hardware.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Blast

Post by Blast »

im not looking for a dedicated server solution but a virtual server machine. The DCS world server can be run with very minimum graphics to operate then i dont need something powerful, it would be a waste of resources.
To be clear: Im looking for a virtual machine that can passthrough the gpu.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

To be clear: you can't do it in a VM.
Not with what you have right now.
See ch. 9.6 PCI passthrough for the theoretical requirements.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Blast wrote:Its very disappointing considering that virtual box is able to operate with directx9 but not with directx11, a 10 years old technology.
I'm sure. However VirtualBox development priorities are, I'm afraid, set by the paying customers. That probably means business customers who are not interested in the latest gaming features, they only need to run CAD.

Speaking as someone who happens to be heavily involved in a business graphics dev project right now I can tell you that my priorities are (a) OpenGL, since I don't want MS pulling the rug from me when they want to force me onto a new platform, and (b) I don't need anything later than OpenGL 3.1, in fact I can run on OpenGL 2.1 - as long as I have vertex buffer objects I can make it sing.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

mpack wrote:in fact I can run on OpenGL 2.1 - as long as I have vertex buffer objects I can make it sing
And I always thought that OpenGL was about video/graphics, not... audio! :D