Crackling sound in Windows 10 64-bit

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
kjoyce

Re: Crackling sound in Windows 10 64-bit

Post by kjoyce »

pentagonik wrote:Switching to the AC'97 emulation is a workaround, but HDA still needs to work. Therefore it would be good to have all those debug files supplied.
I did the suggested steps. Below are the results:

Dumping audio output
Dumping guest audio output as .WAV (wave) files to the host is available since VirtualBox 5.2. For older VirtualBox versions an instrumented (debug) build must be used (will be given on request).

To enable dumping guest audio output, do the following:

Make sure that the affected VM is not running anymore.
Run
VBoxManage setextradata <Name-of-VM> "VBoxInternal2/Audio/Debug/Enabled" "true"
Start the affected VM again.
Now, when performing any audio output on the guest (playback), there will be separate .WAV files created in the host's temporary directory.

For Windows hosts this by default is C:\Windows\Temp or C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Temp.

*** No wav file created in user or system temp

Proceeded to extended logging

=====

Enable extended logging
Note: These steps are only for VirtualBox older than 5.2. Newer versions perform those steps automatically.

As always when it comes to diagnosing problems with VirtualBox the appropriate VBox.log is useful to have. To gather more verbose information about the actual audio state, please do the following:

On Windows
Shut down all VM instances and VirtualBox programs, including VBoxSVC.

Run

setx VBOX_RELEASE_LOG "drv_host_audio.e.l.l2.l3.f+drv_audio.e.l.l2.l3.f+audio_mixer.e.l.l2.l3.f+dev_hda_codec.e.l.l2.l3.f+dev_hda.e.l.l2.l3.f+dev_ac97.e.l.l2.l3.f" /M
on an Administrator command prompt to set this on a system-wide level (required).

Close the Administrator terminal
Open a new terminal as regular user
verify that the changes were applied correctly be running

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.16299.192]
(c) 2017 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\kjoyce>echo %VBOX_RELEASE_LOG%
drv_host_audio.e.l.l2.l3.f+drv_audio.e.l.l2.l3.f+audio_mixer.e.l.l2.l3.f+dev_hda_codec.e.l.l2.l3.f+dev_hda.e.l.l2.l3.f+dev_ac97.e.l.l2.l3.f

C:\Users\kjoyce>

Start the VirtualBox Manager.

Start the machine you want to diagnose audio for.
Perform and reproduce the audio operation.

I have the vbox.log I would prefer not to upload it to the discussion. Is there somewhere else I can send it?
JEBjames
Primary OS: MS Windows other
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Centos, Ubuntu, Debian, Various Windows

Post by JEBjames »

This may be unrelated.

But if you are on Win10 check if this fix is installed:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... -kb4058258

It fixes a bunch of slow down/latency issues with the ms ribbon ui per-pixel slowdown glitch. It may be coincidence, but my month or two of youtube audio stuttering went away.
NajiB

Post by NajiB »

billikumar wrote:I am finally able to get the audio working by doing the following, Looks like the problem resides in the HD Audio Driver.

1. Shut down the windows 10 VM. Open the Settings navigate to Audio section
2. Change the "Host Audio Driver" to "ALSA Audio Driver". (Pulse Audio also works but it still had stutters)
3. Change the "Audio Controller" to "ICH AC97".
4. Boot to windows 10. Windows will show as audio device missing which is expected.
5. Install the ac97 driver as specified in the stack overflow link.
6. Restart the VM.

HOST Linux 4.10.4-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT x86_64 GNU/Linux
ALSA Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version k4.10.4-1-MANJARO.
PULSE pulseaudio 10.0
Virtual Box 5.1.18 r114002
Guest Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB.
Will add that running Ubu16.04 w/ Win 7 guest and with similar crackling audio, this fix worked for me.

Not overjoyed to see all the Realtek startup programs added, but no complaint from anti-virus and audio is now clear so I'm a happy "customer". :mrgreen:
spamme
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by spamme »

I have also this issue, and before I was using a Window 7 host with Windows 10 guest, now I use a Windows 10 host with a Windows 2016 guest and the problem is still here. The guest machines are test environments and some times I watch in this guest machines some tutorial videos on youtube. Normally the audio at the beginning of the video doesn't crackle, but after a couple of minutes it begins to crackle slowly and the crackling progresses constantly until the point that it is so strong that it is impossible to understand the voice in the videos. Then the crackling as it progressively came, it progressively disappears until the audio is again perfect, crackling-less. Now I found out casually that if I pause the video for a couple of seconds and then continue to play it, the crackling disappears. It is like resetting the video at the beginning, where there is no crackling. It seems to me that the crackling is a desynchronization that happens slowly over time.
pentagonik
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Too many to specify!

Post by pentagonik »

Please have a try with the latest 5.2 test build 120822, which is located here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds. Thank you!
modax

Post by modax »

Hello,
pentagonik wrote:Please have a try with the latest 5.2 test build 120822
I have never posted in this thread before but I also had big problem with sound. It was crackling and even disappearing/muting completely for some application (in my case Skype for Business on Win7 x32).

What I used before on host:

Code: Select all

Debian unstable amd64
VirtualBox 5.2.6-dfsg-3+b1 (from Debian packages )
Pulseaudio 11.1-4 / PulseAudio driver in VirtualBox
Intel HDA driver in VirtualBox
On guest:

Code: Select all

Windows 7 x32
Now I just upgraded to 5.2 test build 120822 from Test Builds as you suggested and the problem seems to be gone. Didn't notice any crackling yet and audio problems with Skype for Business calls seem to be gone. Good work! Will be eagerly waiting for 5.2.7 release!
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@modax
  1. This is not just your first post in this thread, it's your first post. Period. ;)
  2. The developers will be happy to hear that it works now.
  3. Did you open/participate in a ticket about Skype in the bugtracker?
  4. There will be no 5.2.7 release. The odd numbered are intermediate (test) builds; quick and dirty, mainly on the packaging/documentation/changelog front, not in the actual running code. The releases are odd numbered.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
spamme
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Windows XP

Post by spamme »

pentagonik wrote:Please have a try with the latest 5.2 test build 120822, which is located here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds. Thank you!
I have installed VB 5.2.2 and the crackling sound is still there, although now I can watch a video for a longer period before it starts to crackling.
But now the real problem is that sometimes by pausing and restarting the video in youtube with firefox, the virtual machine freeze completely and you can only turn it off.
Vitaliy

Post by Vitaliy »

THANKS!
SOLVED
billikumar wrote:I am finally able to get the audio working by doing the following, Looks like the problem resides in the HD Audio Driver.

2. Change the "Host Audio Driver" to "ALSA Audio Driver". (Pulse Audio also works but it still had stutters)
4. Boot to windows 10. Windows will show as audio device missing which is expected.
5. Install the ac97 driver as specified in the stack overflow link. ( I am unable to add the link here because virutal box forums does not allow new members to post links. please add a dot between stackoverflow and com) stackoverflow com/questions/28134018/microphone-in-windows-10-in-virtualbox
6.Restart the VM.
In my case "PulseAudio" with "Intel HD Audio" solved this problem. Before it I unsuccessful tried fix problem with "ALSA Audio Driver" and "ICH AC'97". To be honest, I can't understand why Windows7 and Windows10, which are running on the same laptop with the same version VirtualBox use different drivers (Windows7 starts by default with PulseAudio and AC'97).
NajiB

Post by NajiB »

NajiB wrote:

5. Install the ac97 driver as specified in the stack overflow link.
6. Restart the VM.

HOST Linux 4.10.4-1-MANJARO #1 SMP PREEMPT x86_64 GNU/Linux
ALSA Advanced Linux Sound Architecture Driver Version k4.10.4-1-MANJARO.
PULSE pulseaudio 10.0
Virtual Box 5.1.18 r114002
Guest Windows 10 Enterprise N LTSB.
Will add that running Ubu16.04 w/ Win 7 guest and with similar crackling audio, this fix worked for me.

Not overjoyed to see all the Realtek startup programs added, but no complaint from anti-virus and audio is now clear so I'm a happy "customer". :mrgreen:
UPDATE: Tried without the workaround and everything works perfectly, as before. Pulse Audio in Vbox settings and MSaudio drivers in Win 7. Thanks to the devs for fixing.
WeLoveTech

Post by WeLoveTech »

After intalling latest Virtualbox on a mac, Installing Windows 10 latest ISO
I had crackling until

i went to Control Panel
Sounds
Click Speakers
Click Configure
Change from 5,1 surround to
Stero
Sound back to normal
AirKetchup

Post by AirKetchup »

There is a very simple fix and it takes a minute

1. power off your virtual machine
2.In the virtualbox app, select your machine and select settings
3.Click system then processor
4. set the number of cpus to 3 or more
5. turn on your virtual machine
6. open control panel
7.click hardware and sound then sound
8. select speakers then press configure
9. select stereo then press next and leave the options how they are
10. Done :D :D :) :)
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

AirKetchup wrote:4. set the number of cpus to 3 or more
That is not a universal piece of advice. What if you only have 2 cores, are you going to give the VM 3 or more? Where are you going to find them? In the farmer's market? ;)

You shouldn't reach the red-zone in your CPUs. Anything more than that is asking for trouble.
AirKetchup wrote:9. select stereo then press next and leave the options how they are
That is the part that may have fixed it for you actually. As stated in the message right above yours...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
linuxbastler

Post by linuxbastler »

i have the same issue with ubuntu 18.10 64 bit host and windows 10 64 bit guest.
i cant switch to stereo, my headset only supports mono :cry:
Etienne66

Post by Etienne66 »

I've been having this crackling sound for many years. I am running a Windows 10 host with a Windows 10 guest with 4 CPUs and 4gb RAM. I've tried Intel HD Audio and ICH AC97, but neither seems to make much difference. I'm currently using VirtualBox 6.0.2.

I started on an Intel i5 system, but now I am an Intel i7 system with 32GB of RAM.

My setting were already to Stereo, but I tried the other settings without any difference.

It's annoying and it would be nice to get rid of it. I don't recall having the problem until I upgraded to Windows 10 on my host.

I tried an old Windows XP guest with ICH AC97 audio, but it also has the same problem.

I have a Windows 7 Host at work with a Windows 10 guest, and it does not have this problem. I suspect that the problem is with the Windows 10 host and not the guest.

Thanks,
Etienne66