TCP not working in bridged mode

Discussions about using Linux guests in VirtualBox.
pitviper101

TCP not working in bridged mode

Post by pitviper101 »

Host OS: Windows 10
Guest OS: Kali Linux (Though I have also duplicated this issue in Ubuntu 14.04 and Windows XP)

While in bridged mode, I cannot use TCP based protocols. Everything works fine in NAT mode. Ping and DNS work in bridged mode.

Using wireshark on the host OS, I can see ARP, ICMP, and DNS packets from the guest, but no TCP (e.g. Syn, Ack) or TCP based protocol packets.
On the guest I see all that I saw on the host plus the TCP Syn and Syn Re-transmissions from the guest.
I can also see all the Host OSes traffic (including TCP, NetBios etc.) on the guest (I'm in promiscuous mode).
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: TCP not working in bridged mode

Post by mpack »

I must be misunderstanding you, because to my knowledge DNS for example is a TCP protocol. I.e. TCP is working if DNS is.

In any case, if you are in bridged mode then your VM is a peer on the physical network, so it's up to you to configure networking correctly.

Moving this topic to "Linux Guests".
tirexxerit

Post by tirexxerit »

I have got the same problem. When I switch to NAT mode TCP works but on bridge mode it doesn't and I think it has nothing to do with the Linux but virtualbox. Here is what I do;

#nc REMOTEHOSTNAME 80

I start capture on the host bridge ethernet adapter, Linux (centos7) and directly connected switch port(port mirroring)

- Linux sends the DNS (UDP) receives IPV4 addresses
- Then it sends TCP SYN (I can see this on the linux tcpdump)
- capture on the host ethernet shows UDP DNS request response but no TCP SYN
- Obviously switch also doesn't show any TCP request.

In a nutshell, for some reason in bridge mode there is an issue which I couldn't figure out why it can work for UDP but not TCP.

I have installed the latest virtualbox 5.1.12 r112440 (Qt5.6.2) on Windows10 as the previous user.

I wonder if anyone else experiences the same.

thanks.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

Two questions:
  1. Bridged over what? Wired or wireless? I suspect it's over wireless. If so, can you try Bridged over wired?
  2. "I installed VirtualBox... as the previous user." What does "the previous user" mean?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

socratis wrote:What does "the previous user" mean?
I assume he's referring to the OP.
HanSchou

Post by HanSchou »

I have the same problem.

Running Windows 10 on the host system. It is a laptop.

I have VirtualBox Version 5.1.14 r112924 (Qt5.6.2)

Guest OS is Linux Mint (Debian/Ubuntu clone).

From guest I can:
* ping IP on internet
* Use DNS, host lookup
* ssh to guest own IP number (make sense)

From guest I can NOT:
* ssh internet or node on LAN
* any other TCP access

From host I can:
* ssh to guest with Putty (strange)

I have tried to disable wifi and only running on wire but no cigar. I have tried to switch network adapter in VirtualBox, but no change. I have looked through Windows Firewall but no rules prevent anything.
HanSchou

Post by HanSchou »

Problem solved (in a way, sigh!)

1. Set Network "Adapter 1" to use "NAT"
2. Add Network "Adapter 2" to use "Bridged Adapter"
3. Boot up guest
4. Set eth0 to use NAT and be the default GateWay
5. Use eth1 (bridge) for static IP

Not an elegant solution but it is working.
phil a

Post by phil a »

I'm having the same trouble too, I just noticed it this morning.
I tried a few versions of VB, even tried 5.1.18 that came out a couple days ago
I tried two different guests - Ubuntu 14.04 and Ubuntu 16.04.

Symptoms are same as other people: tcp does not work on bridge - no ssh or browsing, but icmp and dns (udp) work. Everything works on NAT.

Host is windows 7
Thanks,
Phil
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Follow a "start from cold-boot"/"observe error"/"shutdown" cycle. With the VM shut down completely (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log". Save the first "VBox.log" only, ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
N0YB

Post by N0YB »

I am experiencing this same problem. Wireshark shows the VB interface receiving SYN and responding with SNY ACK. But the bridged WiFi interface of the host (Windows 81.) only sees the incoming SYN. No SYN ACK response.

In all this time has there not been a solution to this other than using NAT?

Host: Windows 8.1 Pro
WiFi: Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
IP Address: 192.168.2.21

VB: 5.2.6 r120293 (Qt5.6.2)
Guest OS: FreeBSD 11.1 P2
Bridged Adapter: Broadcom 802.11n Network Adapter
IP Address: 192.168.2.44

Like others, can ping so I know traffic flows. Also outbound connections from the guest work fine. Seems to only be inbound TCP that doesn't work.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

N0YB wrote: In all this time has there not been a solution to this other than using NAT?
Which problem were you expecting the passage of time to solve? E.g. if you want to change the 802.11 WiFi standards then I'm afraid here is not the best place to post suggestions.
N0YB

Post by N0YB »

Nowhere did mention an expectation of time to solve any problem. However given the amount of time that has passed I would have expected someone i.e. a person(s) to have solved this problem.

Also did not mention any desire to change the 801.11 WiFi standards. If that is a show stopper blockage to a solution then please articulate that rather than making useless elitist remarks. There are real people out here with a wide degree of backgrounds. Not all of them know everything about everything. Please impart what you know in a helpful courteously manner.

Thanks
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

N0YB wrote: In all this time has there not been a solution to this other than using NAT?
N0YB wrote: Nowhere did mention an expectation of time to solve any problem.
Uh...

And if you waste my time again by using the "flag post" feature in a fit of pique then I will take stronger action.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

N0YB wrote:However given the amount of time that has passed I would have expected someone i.e. a person(s) to have solved this problem.
Some problems cannot be fixed, because they are designed like that. It's not a bug, it's a "feature". And bridged-over-WiFi is designed like that. You can't "fix" it. It either works with some vendors or it doesn't.

If I have a port that supports USB2 only, no matter the amount of complaining, bitching and moaning I do, will never make it a USB3. Even if they look the same on the outside.