Combo Update 10.13.2

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
okiuss
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: OSX,LINUX,WINXXX

Combo Update 10.13.2

Post by okiuss »

Hi,
Host:10.13.2
VB:5.2.4
Guest:10.13

Trying to upgrade my guest to 10.13.2. After the first reboot the guest hangs.
The virtual machine does not even respond to the "Reset virtual machine" command.
It has to be killed.

The next reboot works fine, but the guest stays at macOs version 10.13.
Attachments
VBox.log.20180114.gz
(27.67 KiB) Downloaded 139 times
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Combo Update 10.13.2

Post by socratis »

00:00:02.313655 [/Devices/ahci/0/LUN#2/Config/] (level 5)
00:00:02.313659   Path <string> = "/Volumes/VMs/VirtualBox/HighSierra_10.13/highsierra-disk1.vdi" (cb=62)
Why you have the VDI in port #2 of your SATA controller? Why does the name have a "disk1" at the end and not named as the name of the VM? Why there's no DVD in the VM? How exactly did you create that VM? How did you install OSX?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
okiuss

Post by okiuss »

* The Vm is an upgrade from Sierra and maybe this one was an upgrade from ElCap.
* SATA port settings seems to be some relicts from some testing in prior macOs versions.
* The VDI has been attached to different hosts, and was sometimes copied/renamed because of space
restrictions, was physically placed on local storage, NAS, USB ....
* There was no DVD attached because of lack of usage (no GAs to mount)

Now I have changed the .vbox settings as found in a standard template (SATA#0 for the disk and an additional DVD drive),
but the same effect.
Screenshot-2018-01-14-um-10.52.16-ConvertImage.png
Screenshot-2018-01-14-um-10.52.16-ConvertImage.png (61.82 KiB) Viewed 12027 times
Attachments
HighSierra_10.13.vbox.txt
(6.91 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
VBox.log.gz
(26.9 KiB) Downloaded 55 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Try to download the standalone combo (https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1944). I remember vaguely that there was an issue with the updates, but I can't remember exactly what. If I do, I'll update the thread...

Edit: The originally quoted https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1946 was the 10.13.1 to 10.13.2 update, not the combo update. 
Last edited by socratis on 16. Jan 2018, 21:16, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Fixed typo.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
okiuss

Post by okiuss »

I have already tried both variants, App Store and standalone combo update - same result.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Hey! I remembered! Ticket #17030: macOS 10.13 update installer fails. (d'oh :shock: )

The update mechanism calls for a two-step update. The VirtualBox EFI implementation does not boot (currently) from the "boot.efi" that's supposed to boot from. See the instructions at "[HowTo] Install OSX 10.13 in a VM", at the point where it starts with:
Apple (another wise move) has modified the way that it reads/treats the different partitions in the EFI, ...
and the logic is pretty much the same, except one thing; you're going to have three partitions, you need to select:
  • The 2nd partition, the one after the EFI, then
  • <macOS Install Data>
  • <Locked Files>
  • <Boot Files>
  • boot.efi
Happy updating!!! ;)

PS. I think I'll turn this into a [HowTo]...
okiuss

Post by okiuss »

... does not work :-(
Screenshot1.png
Screenshot1.png (30.53 KiB) Viewed 11966 times
Screenshot2.png
Screenshot2.png (33.65 KiB) Viewed 11966 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

First of all, I fixed the link for the update combo https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1944 in my original post. That was the 10.13.1 to 10.13.2 one, sorry about that.

If you dropped to the EFI shell, you didn't press F12 fast enough. So, if you get to the shell and not the menu, keep on repeating HostKey+R and F12 (bashing) until you get in the EFI menu, not the EFI shell...
okiuss

Post by okiuss »

I already have used the correct combo update - and meanwhile updated to VB 5.2.6.
But the same result ....
Screenshot 2018-01-16 um 20.31.28.png
Screenshot 2018-01-16 um 20.31.28.png (24.05 KiB) Viewed 11961 times
Screenshot 2018-01-16 um 20.32.51.png
Screenshot 2018-01-16 um 20.32.51.png (15.23 KiB) Viewed 11961 times
Screenshot 2018-01-16 um 20.33.47.png
Screenshot 2018-01-16 um 20.33.47.png (12.54 KiB) Viewed 11961 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I love that message! :D
I have no clue, honestly. Maybe because of the whole update over update over update thing?
After the update, I get a "Installing Software Update: About 2 minutes" message, followed by a reboot, and then I do the F12 bashing and that's it...

One other thing is that you have the following:
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" value="iMac11,1"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemSerial" value="W89504YC5RU"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" value="1.0"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" value="1"/>
Why? You need none of the above! Not sure if it's messing up with your setup, but that sounds like you followed a Hackintosh blog...

Do you have things that you need in your VM? You could always start fresh...
okiuss

Post by okiuss »

socratis wrote:I love that message! :D
Does printf work ?? ;-) Yes, it reminds me of heavy C-hacking (25 years ago)
socratis wrote: I have no clue, honestly. Maybe because of the whole update over update over update thing?
After the update, I get a "Installing Software Update: About 2 minutes" message, followed by a reboot, and then I do the F12 bashing and that's it...
The same for me. 2 minutes installing the update and then reboot ....
This could be the real cause of the problem, upgrade on upgrade on upgrade ....
socratis wrote: One other thing is that you have the following:
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemProduct" value="iMac11,1"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemSerial" value="W89504YC5RU"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/efi/0/Config/DmiSystemVersion" value="1.0"/>
<ExtraDataItem name="VBoxInternal/Devices/smc/0/Config/GetKeyFromRealSMC" value="1"/>
Why? You need none of the above! Not sure if it's messing up with your setup, but that sounds like you followed a Hackintosh blog...
No, I am using "real" Macs (Book, iMac,mini) - no need to follow Hackintos blogs. I just want to get displayed correct values, when I open "About this Mac".
These values can also be some artifacts from the beginning, when I tried to virtualize tiger - and this was not so easy cheesy :-)
I will try to remove them all, if they are not needed.
socratis wrote: Do you have things that you need in your VM? You could always start fresh...
Yes thats right. The VM is only a sandbox tool for testing.