Crackling sound in Windows 10 64-bit

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Linux hosts.
mr_aleks22

Re: Crackling sound in Windows 10 64-bit

Post by mr_aleks22 »

I have the same problem, but, it only appeared when I put the latest version 5.2.0-118431. When I install version 5.1.30-118389 the problem with the cracked in the sound disappears.!
Especially to understand what kind of problem in question, I recorded a video that demonstrates this problem with sound. https://youtu.be/owd_4EuuFDo. The main thing is listen to the sound on the video.
I really would like it to be fixed
artemka

Post by artemka »

Confirm. I have Windows 10 host, and Linux Min 18 guest and also have sound hiccups/glitches/crackles on Mint inside VirtualBox 5.2.0-118431. What i try to do to fix the problem:
- change Audio device from AC97 to Intel HDA and back;
- changing some ALSA parameters;
- drop number of guest CPU;
- disable APIC, and nothing helps. But. Installing VirtualBox version 5.1.30-118389 resolves the problem. Hope this will be fixed in the newer versions of VirtualBox.
ricardobertulli

Post by ricardobertulli »

I have the same issue here
Host: Windows 10
Virtuabox: 5.2.0 r118431
Guest: Ubuntu 16.04

No solution found after weeks of researching, any news??
pentagonik
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Too many to specify!

Post by pentagonik »

I've just uploaded a new 5.2 test build which contains more fixes regarding "crackling" and audio distortions. Could you please give these builds a try and report back if these fix the issue for you? You can get the latest 5.2 test builds here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds

Thank you!
Cdewitt87

Post by Cdewitt87 »

Just tried the 5.2.3 Test build on a Windows 10 PC with XP and 98SE guests and the audio is still crackly and awful on them.
pentagonik
Oracle Corporation

Post by pentagonik »

Could you please supply the verbose VBox.log file and the .WAV files as shown here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/AudioDebug

Thank you!
DJ Garybaldy
VBox Version: OSE other
Guest OSses: Windows 7 Windows 10

Post by DJ Garybaldy »

I've had audio issues on Windows 10 & Virtualbox for over 6 months now...

Stuttering audio being the main thing that happens as well as crackly audio. I was told basically that it was "In my imagination" when I reported it...

Its still happening with the latest build of Virtualbox too boot, Audio plays fine for five/ten minutes and then sticks/repeats and i have to shut it down to stop the problem.

Its annoying because I really want to test software on W10 and this virtualbox audio problem is stopping me.

Now I know other people have had this issue on VB I can relax and stop blaming software.

Any chance of a test build with a .deb extension?
User of Ubuntu Studio 17.04 Running Virtualbox on a 16GB RAM and AMD10 machine.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

DJ Garybaldy wrote:Any chance of a test build with a .deb extension?
The test builds usually come in the "generic" (All distributions) package format; the ".run" files. You can always download a generic Linux 32- or 64-bit ".run" version and install that. You might miss some integration features, but that's not what you're interested in a test build, right?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MightyWizz

Post by MightyWizz »

I've come across the exact same issue with crippled sound on the guest OS. I managed to resolve it after reading around a bit.

I first reinstalled host audio drivers with the latest update, this didn't seem to work.

Next I reinstalled VirtualBox with version 5.1.30, originally I had the latest 5.2 installed. This fixed the sound problem.
pentagonik
Oracle Corporation

Post by pentagonik »

MightyWizz wrote:Next I reinstalled VirtualBox with version 5.1.30, originally I had the latest 5.2 installed. This fixed the sound problem.
Could you please try the latest available 5.2 test build to see if this fixes the issue for you? The test builds can be found here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
kjoyce

Post by kjoyce »

Tried the test build, still crackling sound. Let me know if you need anything from the environment.

Dell Precision 7510
Windows 10 host
Windows 7 guest (crackling sound after Virtualbox upgrade)

Worked fine with Virtualbox 5.1.30. Upgraded to 5.2.4 last weekend and the crackling sound started.
pentagonik
Oracle Corporation

Post by pentagonik »

@kjoyce Could you please supply the verbose VBox.log file and the .WAV files as shown here: https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/AudioDebug

Thank you!
DJ Garybaldy

Post by DJ Garybaldy »

I have an underlying audio issue too... Its weird to explain its sounds like the singer is warbling along with various crackles and blips,

Therefore I believe it to be another audio problem with Virtualbox itself I've only just recovered from a stuttering audio issue

Ruled out it being the Linux (Ubuntu Studio) machine by playing music through that and no blips or crackles occurred. So it again points to VB 5.2

Don't fob me off with sarcastic replies this is genuinely serious I'm sure I'm not the Only DJ suffering this issues just many don't bother to report it. Why is asking for flawless audio such an issue among the "moderators"?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

DJ Garybaldy wrote:Don't fob me off with sarcastic replies
Seriously now? 'pentagonik' is your best chance of getting audio working, so, please adjust your sensitivity meter accordingly. He wasn't being sarcastic at all! Relax, all right?
DJ Garybaldy wrote:I'm sure I'm not the Only DJ suffering this issues just many don't bother to report it.
You can't possibly know that for sure. That's the only thing you can be "sure" about.
DJ Garybaldy wrote:Why is asking for flawless audio such an issue among the "moderators"?
It's not the moderators only, it's mainly the developers that have to deal with the immediate pain and resolve the issue. We (moderators) have to deal with the suffering and the endless complaining of the end-users (mostly).

On the other hand you thing it's an "issue", contributions are always welcomed. And I mean in code, not in unconstructive criticism. Bitching and moaning won't get the issues resolved any faster; patience and testing might...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
DJ Garybaldy

Post by DJ Garybaldy »

If you can't handle "Customers" Complaining then maybe you should let someone else moderate the board, Sorry that our Complaints about software issues causes you so much suffering... (Why did you become a moderator in the first place?)

I'm a moderator on a forum and if I couldn't handle the complaints i'd be kicked off by the owner!

Seriously I was taught that there is NEVER an excuse for POOR customer interaction/service Like I said if you can't handle it Log off and don't log on again Simple.