Video won't record (#17307)

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
ricecrispies
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: A recent version of Ubuntu and, as I write this, trying to get Windows 95 running properly

Video won't record (#17307)

Post by ricecrispies »

[ModEdit; related ticket: #17307: Video capture doesn't work after upgrade from 5.1.30 to 5.2.0]
I am running a Windows 95 guest on Windows 10 host. I am trying to record video, but without success. When I choose view—>record-video the first time I get an error saying that video recording cannot be started. The second time I select it, I get the film rolling animation at the bottom of the guest's window, but the size of the output movie file remains at between 0 and 270 bytes. And the same thing happens when I choose view—>record-video to stop the recording. The first time, I get an error saying that recording could not be stopped. The second time, the film rolling animation stops. How can I get video recording to work?
Last edited by socratis on 10. Jan 2018, 13:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added ticket related information.
mpack
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Video won't record

Post by mpack »

This is not a feature that I use, nor is it well documented. It may be that it requires the Guest Additions, which of course do not exist for Win9x guests. If you have screen recording software for the host then you should be able to capture guest graphics that way.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
Guest OSses: Any and all

Post by michaln »

It does not require GAs. It's just... not working great. Opening a ticket with actual details might be helpful.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

michaln wrote:Opening a ticket with actual details might be helpful.
I've been meaning to do that since before the holidays. A quick summary can be found in: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=85660 but I will definitely open a new ticket. Tonight...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I just checked, the OP in the other thread actually opened a ticket, "#17307: Video capture doesn't work after upgrade from 5.1.30 to 5.2.0". I'll update the ticket with my findings, and have this discussion (and the other one) pointing to the ticket, and vice versa.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ricecrispies
Guest OSses: A recent version of Ubuntu and, as I write this, trying to get Windows 95 running properly

Re: Video won't record (#17307)

Post by ricecrispies »

Thank you.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: Video won't record (#17307)

Post by socratis »

The issue has been fixed with 5.2.9 r121058 (or later) from the test builds. Please verify or deny if it works or not in ticket #17307.