[Solved] Virtual machine not starting

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Reset Resolution

[Solved] Virtual machine not starting

Post by Reset Resolution »

Hi i am having a big issue with opening virtual machine. I have windows 10 as host and centos 6.7 as virtual machine. Virtual machine was working fine until there was a windows update. After that my virtual machine is not starting and throwing an error as

"
The virtual machine 'centos6.7' has terminated unexpectedly during startup with exit code 1 (0x1). More details may be available in 'C:\VirtualBox VMs\centos6.7\Logs\VBoxHardening.log'.

Result Code:
E_FAIL (0x80004005)
Component:
MachineWrap
Interface:
IMachine {b2547866-a0a1-4391-8b86-6952d82efaa0}
"
Virtual Box Version : 5.1.12 r112440 (Qt5.6.2)

If any one has idea about this issue please kindly give suggestion how to recover my virtual machine
Last edited by socratis on 19. Jan 2018, 10:44, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Virtual machine not starting

Post by socratis »

Please read really carefully the following FAQ: Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues for some guidelines.

In your case it could be Avast or Malware Bytes. Start from those two...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Reset Resolution

Hello thank you for the reply however the issue was the new windows 10 update. My windows system was updated to the version 1709 build 16299.125. Due to this update virtual box could not open virtual machine. I reverted back my windows to old version (1607) and build (14393.1944). Doing this solved my issue.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Thank you for the feedback. However, there are a lot of people running successfully 1709. I'm not so sure about the 16299.125 build (also known as KB4054517), because it came out on 2017-12-12, so it's only a week old.

But, there are some people that are testing the insider builds, which are far ahead compared to what us "commoners" get. And they've reported success with builds as high as 17050 in the VirtualBox success reports on Windows 10 Insider builds thread.

Another thing that we've seen is that if you do a major update/upgrade, like from 1607 to 1709, you have to re-install VirtualBox, because those are not simple upgrades, they're re-installations of Windows.

Moving to "Windows Hosts" from "Linux Guests", since the problem is clearly with your host.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Reset Resolution

Here is Update to the situation.

My Windows 10 got updated again somehow (I had disabled window update but it got enabled) from 1607 version to 1709 version. Because of this, I got error again when I tried to open virtual machine. However this time I did not revert back to old windows build and instead I removed my old virtual box and installed the new version.

My old virtual box was "VirtualBox-5.1.12-112440-Win". I tried to remove it through "Add Remove Program" but It could not find this particular file "virtualbox-5.1.12-r112440-MultiArch_amd64.msi" and was not successful. So i had to remove it using the binary installation file of "VirtualBox-5.1.12-112440-Win" itself.
Then I installed new virtual box version "VirtualBox-5.2.6-120293-Win". with this I could open my virtual machine :)
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Glad you got it going. Marking as [Solved].