Win10 64-bit - VBoxSDL 5.2: exception when resuming VM from saved state

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Hopachi

Win10 64-bit - VBoxSDL 5.2: exception when resuming VM from saved state

Post by Hopachi »

Hello,

First post here, I see no urls may be posted yet. [Mod edit; URL added]
Running on host Win10 1703 / 1709 64-bit

I've been using the SDL frontend to run some old games in fullscreen in an Win XP VM.
The way I'm using vboxsdl in Windows is via bat file:

Code: Select all

@echo off
set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=windib
"%programfiles%\Oracle\VirtualBox\VBoxSDL.exe" --startvm "xp" --fullscreen --fullscreenresize
Following ticket #11517 I could run the sdl frontend in windows via the windib driver.

Basically I launch the VM via bat file. Then it goes to fullscreen. Via <hostkey> + s I save the machine state. In all used Virtualbox versions, from 4.3.12 to 5.1.30, there were no issues whatsoever: the vm could be resumed via same sdl command / bat launching it. So From Virtuabox 5.2.0 (actually from beta1 already) onwards, I cannot get the VM resumed if it was saved: there is an exception error shown each time.
VBox.log-exc.zip
exception shown in vm log
(34.76 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (13.31 KiB) Viewed 1047 times
What's intersting is the fact that same machine saved state can sucesfully be resumed in the regular frontend.
The success log is also provided labelled -ok:
VBox.log-ok.zip
(13.91 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Also, if the exception occurs, the host will notify on shutdown that Virtualbox Interface still has active connection. I believe the crash leaves other background processes running.
Other thing I've noticed is that a saved state can be succesfully resumed afterwards if no host shutdowns occur in between the launches. Win10 uses hybrid shutdown, could be a driver issue, still early to tell.

Is this because of chances in 5.2? Are there pure-fullscreen alternatives to vboxsdl frontend?
Any ideas are most appreciated.

I've avoided the regular (virtualbox.exe) frontend's fullscreen because of the toolbar and additions resolution changes; I need fixed fullscreen that the simple sdl ui was able to provide.

Regards,
H
Last edited by socratis on 19. Dec 2017, 00:29, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added missing URL.
Hopachi

Re: Win10 64-bit - VBoxSDL 5.2: exception when resuming VM from saved state

Post by Hopachi »

Update:
I've moved to a new host, Haswell i7 mobile cpu on Vbox 4.2.3 testbuild.
The issue has nothing to do with VBoxSDL. Win10 hybrid shutdown seems irrelevant as I couldn't restore a saved state directly without host shutdowns in between the save-restore process.
Tested: The exception seems to occur on the regular frontend as well, with and without scaled mode.
I have tried on another guest as well with same result.

The log was pretty big so I had to compress it.
VBox1.zip
(35.63 KiB) Downloaded 4 times
excp1.PNG
excp1.PNG (9.71 KiB) Viewed 968 times
I am able to save machine state on 5.1.30 / 5.1.31 so unless I've missed it somewhere, this is a 5.2 issue.

Can anybody confirm being able to restore from a saved VM state on VBox 5.2 ? (Xp guests..)
As I've said I'm on Win10 x64 host, Vt-x enabled, XP x86 guest.
Perryg
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Linux other
VBox Version: OSE self-compiled
Guest OSses: *NIX

Post by Perryg »

Read the top paragraph in the test build section https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
Hopachi

Post by Hopachi »

Thank you Perryg.

My apologies as I didn't looked in all the scenario's.
I've misinterpreted that bold line.

I had VM's created with older versions and somehow these VM's run but cannot be saved. Paravirtualization also changes to Legacy by the way.
Even creating new saved states fail. But the snapshot -> current state may count as well; I ignored this one. Installed additions version didn't seem to matter.

Now I've created VM's from scratch, one completely new, another one where I re-use older vdi-disk installation + a reboot, both being able to save the state.
So far so good. This solved the problem then.

The VM's were moved along the versions for quite some time. I got lazy. But (major) releases along the way can break things in old vbox config files.
Refreshes help. :)