[Solved] How to change dimensions to 1280 x 720

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Mac OS X hosts.
RenatoB

[Solved] How to change dimensions to 1280 x 720

Post by RenatoB »

I am looking for a solution that fix the resolution of my VM to 1280 x 720. I really need these dimensions exactly.

I am on Mac host (Sierra) and using a Mac Guest (High Sierra).

Thanks in advance for any help.
Last edited by socratis on 11. Jan 2018, 15:50, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: How to change dimensions to 1280 x 720

Post by socratis »

You didn't mention your VirtualBox version, but 5.2.2 has a lot more advanced options for setting the display size. The commands have changed and I can't give you the exact one, because it depends on the VirtualBox version. But you can find more in your user manual (Help » Contents), ch. "3.14.1 Video modes in EFI". So, if you're in 5.2.2 the command would be:
  • VBoxManage setextradata "<VM_Name>" VBoxInternal2/EfiGraphicsResolution 1280x720
PS. That PDF that you just opened? It's searchable! Take advantage of it... ;)
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
RenatoB

Post by RenatoB »

Hi Socratis

Thanks for replying.

I am using the last VB version (Versão 5.2.2 r119230 (Qt5.6.3)

I used the command you informed in the Terminal and something was processed but nothing changed. Need I to do something else?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

• Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM.
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
RenatoB

Post by RenatoB »

Here it goes.
Attachments
HighSierra-2017-12-12-16-03-42.log.zip
(28.52 KiB) Downloaded 38 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I'm sorry, but did you notice the command that I gave you? Did you read the manual? The command line that you gave was:
  • VBoxManage setextradata "HighSierra" VBoxInternal2/EfiGraphicsResolution HD
which is wrong. I did give you the exact parameters (except the VM_Name) for VirtualBox 5.2.2 and your specific resolution. Please use that.
  • VBoxManage setextradata "<VM_Name>" VBoxInternal2/EfiGraphicsResolution 1280x720
RenatoB

Post by RenatoB »

I forgto to say that I used this command before use the command you informed. I will try it again.

EDITED: It worked! Thank you so much!