macOS Sierra Host/Guest Sound Problem Speaker & Microphone

Discussions about using Mac OS X guests (on Apple hardware) in VirtualBox.
joseluisbz
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Windows, macOS, CentOS

macOS Sierra Host/Guest Sound Problem Speaker & Microphone

Post by joseluisbz »

Hi,

I want to know, why I can't to use the speaker (have no sound) and microphone (is not capturing sound) in my macOS Sierra Guest?
I have VirtualBox 5.1.30, macOS Sierra 10.12.3 like Host and Guest.

I tested my Speaker & Microphone in another Guests (CentOS 7 & Windows 10) and were working perfectly.

I running in MacBook Air.

Is it possible solve?

Thank you.
Attachments
VBox.log.zip
(26.36 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
joseluisbz

Re: macOS Sierra Host/Guest Sound Problem Speaker & Microphone

Post by joseluisbz »

May be when I did the downgrade some library/package/file was not changed.
I copy the xml file settings to restore the first create guest and insert in the new installation.

I uninstalled the last Virtualbox installation.
Later I removed all files that I found when the some installation is do it.
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=85881

And I Installed again.

The Microphone and Speaker now are working.
socratis
Site Moderator
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

With 5.2.2/3 and OSX guests there is a problem with the audio on OSX guests. It simply doesn't work. So, if you think that your hacked script from viewtopic.php?f=8&t=85881 fixed the problem, I'm afraid the answer is a big no. You can't fix something that's broken at the source-code level if you uninstall/re-install VirtualBox.

If you installed 5.1.30, then yes, you will have sound.

As I told you in viewtopic.php?f=8&t=85881, stick with the "VirtualBox_Uninstall.tool" that comes bundled with the VirtualBox DMG and everything should work properly. Don't start "sudo rm" everything that you can think of...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
joseluisbz

Post by joseluisbz »

Remember I did a downgrade from 5.2.2 to 5.1.30 Maybe are not working like expected, MAYBE leaving some damaged file(s) with 5.2.2 version.
Then When I was trying to use audacity the Microphone was not working and the sound neither.

Now in VirtualBox 5.1.30 I can view the microphone/speaker working (not like real machine), but I can hear the sound captured by microphone in guest.

Later, after a time the microphone/speaker stops working (the second time not work).