[Solved] Blue Screen shutdown

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Greyfrod

[Solved] Blue Screen shutdown

Post by Greyfrod »

I am having a BIG problem with VirtualBox. Please read all as it is a history of the problem.

I use VM sparingly when I need to do something with Linux, an old DOS application, or a Win7 Application. It has been several months since I have had to do use either. A few days ago I had the need and launched the VM. No problem on launch. Started one of the OS that I have used several times. I got the blue screen and the message that the "PC had run into a problem .." and started a status dump. I rebooted the machine, got to the desktop with all icons, BUT could not launch ANY application. I got a a dialog box about .Net framework and could not exit the dialog box. Basically froze the machine. The only way to out was to reboot the machine. This behavior occurred every time I rebooted.

I restarted the machine but logged in as a different user with administrative privileges. This user did not have the problem. I removed VM from the system and rebooted andlogged into the machine as the original user. The problem did not re-occur. I installed VM ver 2.0 No problem. Launched VM and it came up with the same clients as I had before. Attempted to launch a client and again got the Blue Screen and a core dump. Rebooting created the same behavior as before. Fixed using the same procedure as above.

Rebooted and logged into as original user and installed VM 5.1. Same problem. Blue Screen and fixed as before. Rebooted, reinstalled VM and attempted installation of new OS. As soon as the client was started I got the Blue SCREEN. Fixed again and rebooted.

Logged into as original user and installed VM 2.2. No problem. Attempted install of new client. Same problem as before. Fixed as before.

Installed Hyper-V (ugh). The Dos, Win7 and Linux clients I was using under VM worked. No problem. I also installed a new client. No problem.

I read the info on HARDENING but this doesn't seem to apply since the clients that run on HYPER-V don't run on VM.

Update: I wrote the above several days ago but did not publish it. I have updated to the FALL Creator Version of Windows 10 and still get the same behavior. In addition, the HYPER-V now kills the use of the network adapter connection (typical Microsoft). Disabling their Virtual Switch Manager and enabling he original adapter cured that.

I would really like to use VM (old one or new one). Any Suggestions??
Last edited by socratis on 9. Dec 2017, 21:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Marked as [Solved].
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Blue Screen shutdown

Post by socratis »

VMware and VirtualBox do not use VT-x at the same time but rather take turns. On the other hand, Hyper-V permanently takes over VT-x and doesn't let anyone else use it, which makes it a little bit... problematic.

After making 110% sure that Hyper-V is disabled in the Windows Features, you might want to make sure that Fast Boot is disabled and do a cold boot (i.e. shut down the host for a minute or two). You also must make sure that nothing else is using Hyper-V, things like antivirus, debuggers, emulators, etc. Check out the article Diagnosing VirtualBox Hardening Issues to get some ideas...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Greyfrod

Post by Greyfrod »

The Short Version -- Problem Solved -- Now I can disable Hyper-V :P :P Turned OFF all FEATURES Required by Windows Process Activation Services (WAS) including all .NET dependencies, reboot, then Turn ON all Features required by WAS.
Apparently .NET 3.5.1 became corrupted or uninstalled over time.

The Long Version-- I had upgraded my system from Win 8.1 Pro several years ago. I occasionally do some web site work and initially used IIS to test. Later I began using IISExpress. Things worked well. I later got involve with other developement work and ignored wed work. Recently had the need to do some work with a web site again and needed IIS. It did not work. IISEXpress continued to work but I needed IIS. Anyway, I tracked the problem down to IIS depends on the WAS service that would not start. All of the services WAS depended upon were running. Microsoft's answer was to turn off, then turn on, the IIS Features and WAS Service as if you can fix a burned out light bulb by flipping the switch on an off. This did not work. I found other users with similar problems but none of their solutions worked for me. I found that a reference that WAS and FTP services were installed with .Net 3.5.1 automatically as well as WAS and IIS. I downloaded .Net 3.5.1 and attempted to install in but it would not run. In total DESPERATION I turned off all .Net, IIS and WAS and associated FEATURES; rebooted; tuned everything back on: I got a dialog that .NET 3.5 was required and needed to be downloaded and installed. After that, everything worked. Downloaded VM 5.2.2 and installed it. It works with past guests.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Great, thanks for the feedback. Marking as [Solved].
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mtpultz

Re: [Solved] Blue Screen shutdown

Post by mtpultz »

@socratis Is it not possible to fix the issue with Hyper-V so it can be left on depending on how you're using it? We use Docker and Vagrant depending on the project and in order to use Docker for Windows on Windows 10 Pro you need Hyper-V enabled and which forces a restart, and when using Vagrant you have to disable Hyper-V and a restart is required closing everything you're working on. It doesn't seem like disabling Hyper-V is a solution, but a patch. Is there a posted issue for a fix? Since if it works for one it should work for both? I originally thought this was a Vagrant issue and posted an issue there, but everyone is pointing at VirtualBox. So trying to figure out what the actual issue, as well as find out if I can subscribe to it for updates.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

There is nothing to "fix".
As soon as Hyper-V is enabled your Winodws host OS is already running in a VM, so you would need support for nested virtualization which Virtualbox is not designed for.
mtpultz

Post by mtpultz »

From some reading seems there is a `hyperv` provider is that a work around? Based on the warning it doesn't seem like it is, but then I don't understand what it is used for otherwise - vagrantup dot com/docs/hyperv/. Sorry haven't been a member long enough to post URLs
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

mtpultz wrote:@socratis Is it not possible to fix the issue with Hyper-V so it can be left on depending on how you're using it?
The trick with VT-x is that it has to be shared, since it's "only one" available slot for its use. VMware and VirtualBox do not use VT-x at the same time but rather take turns. Simplified, programs that use VT-x should do this: VT-x lock, execute, VT-x unlock. This way other processes can use VT-x in turns.

On the other hand, Hyper-V permanently takes over VT-x and doesn't let anyone else use it. If a program uses VT-x from the moment it is loaded and doesn't let go till the moment it dies, you have a problem. So, please complain to Microsoft about that.