Discuss the 5.1.30 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: Discuss the 5.1.30 release

Post by mpack »

Probably because you didn't update the extension pack at the same time.

I curious why you were for 5.1.30 when the current release is 5.2.2?
mhannah

Post by mhannah »

The extensions did update to the correct version.
I got 5.1.30 by clicking the "check for updates" button -and if I click it now it tells me that I am on the larest version!

I got this working by reinstalling the viertualbox USB driver as per the instructions in the "USB not working" thread in the "Virtualbox on Windows Hosts" forum.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

In that case there was information missing from the problem report because USB drivers don't uninstall by themself. I would guess that you installed a Win10 major feature update, i.e. you effectively reinstalled the host OS.
mhannah

Post by mhannah »

I didn't make any changes at all to the host OS configuration.
The reason I updated was that the guest (WinXP-Pro) was randomly shutting down - I found a ticket against the previous version (5.1.26) for the same issue with a note to say that it was not reproductible on a later version (5.1.28 I think). So I then clicked "check for updates" and it sent me to the virtualbox site to download 5.1.30 (still don't know why it didn't recommend 5.2.2).

When I had 5.1.26 running I had access to USB devices and as soon as I updated to 5.1.30 I lost access.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@mhannah
  • Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM.
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mhannah

Post by mhannah »

The probloem is now solved by the method in this post :-

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=39104#p176270

But I can still send the log if you think it would be useful?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

@mhannah
So, it was the UpperFilters that did the trick? Glad you got it going. No, it's not necessary to send the log, it wouldn't have shown the problem in any event...
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
Peter25

Post by Peter25 »

Couldn't find an answer via search button to this rather banal question. When I install a new version of virtualbox over an older version, previous one, are my projects deleted or do they stay?
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

There are no "projects" in VirtualBox, there are Virtual Machines, or VMs, or guests. If this is what you're referring to, then no, your "data" is not harmed when you upgrade the program that uses that "data". Your VMs are data. VirtualBox is the program that deals with that "data". Just like if you upgrade LibreOffice your papers and your spreadsheets are going to be unharmed.

PS: Consider changing your favorite internet search engine. There should be plenty of results about this, but the search engine you're using now, does not seem to return any results for some reason.

PPS: Since this is not related to the "5.1.30 release", you could have simply created a new topic, instead of hijacking an unrelated thread. It's relatively easy.
Peter25

Post by Peter25 »

Comparing an installed OS within the walls of virtualbox with an outside saved text written with LibreOffice is quite foolish. I also cannot see how my post is hijacking the discussion of new features of the 5.1.30 release. Seems you are presently going thru a very frustrating depression — in any case, thanks for your advice to find a new search engine in the dartknet :mrgreen:
Last edited by socratis on 9. Dec 2017, 09:53, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary verbatim quote of the whole previous message.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Peter25 wrote:Comparing an installed OS within the walls of virtualbox with an outside saved text written with LibreOffice is quite foolish.
I'm sorry, I didn't realize that you were so experienced in both VirtualBox and LibreOffice that you would deem this comparison... foolish. Are you kidding me? You don't even have a clue what a VM is, and when pointed to an analogy, you deem it... foolish? Hit the books sir!
Peter25 wrote:I also cannot see how my post is hijacking the discussion of new features of the 5.1.30 release.
Because your question was as generic as they come. You should have opened a new thread in a related section of the forums, something like "Using VirtualBox", not tag along a specifically titled thread.
Peter25 wrote:Seems you are presently going thru a very frustrating depression
Ignorant and foolish people tend to do that to me. But not you, of course. I'm talking about other people...
Peter25 wrote:thanks for your advice to find a new search engine in the dartknet
That would be a good start. And also the User Manual could help open a n00b's eyes. Not you of course, other people's...
Peter25

Post by Peter25 »

Thanks Sokratis, by now I understand your fit of rage. But I forgive you. With "projects" I meant that I have thirteen different Windows Operation Systems installed in my Virtualbox Version 5.2.0r118431 (Qt5.6.2). So my question is when I upgrade to the 5.1.30 release, are these thirteen Windows Operation Systems gone and deleted? Thank you!
Last edited by socratis on 10. Dec 2017, 14:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed unnecessary attachment, be more "green".
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

With "projects" you meant what I thought you meant; VMs or simply guests. And as I said, your VMs will be unharmed if you upgrade or downgrade, as long as you don't go from VirtualBox 5.x to VirtualBox 3.x. And even then most of the VMs would work.

You sound like a fairly new user to VirtualBox. Since you are expected to know some basic terms before we engage in a meaningful discussion, I would suggest to start by reading three small chapters from the User Manual:
Peter25 wrote:But I forgive you.
Forgive me? Seriously now? :roll: