Discuss the 5.2.2 release

This is for discussing general topics about how to use VirtualBox.
michaln
Oracle Corporation
Primary OS: MS Windows 7
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Any and all

Re: Discuss the 5.2.2 release

Post by michaln »

socratis wrote:Please don't generalize, not all Linux guests have issues. All of mine are just fine, thank you. If you have a problem with a specific distro/version, please state which one. Don't just throw an "all of them" out there.
It's especially funny (or sad) with Linux guests where just the ones released within the last 6 months have such vast differences between them that it's not even remotely funny. Without knowing specifics there's nothing to say.
RonSMeyer1
Primary OS: Ubuntu other
Guest OSses: Host: Linux Mint / Guests: Windows 10 - Win XP - OS/2 Warp 4 - MS-DOS

Post by RonSMeyer1 »

Ok. Linux Mint 18.2. It is a LM 18.2 guest on a LM 18.2 host.
ncj

Post by ncj »

I've noticed some visual defects (see attached screenshot) in 5.2.2, they weren't there in 5.1.26.

I'm not sure if there were previous comments on this, but I can't find a defect report/ticket for it. Is there one?

Tied to the visual defects, I can get the GUI to crash rather reliably with changing the NAT network settings (and one other random crash). If there is a current report, I'll add the detail there, else I'll go ahead and create a new one.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-11-29 at 23.18.30.png.zip
(106.31 KiB) Downloaded 31 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

If by "report" you mean a BugTracker ticket, it's better to have a discussion on these forums first, after postng a zipped VM log and full details.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@ncj
ncj wrote:I've noticed some visual defects (see attached screenshot) in 5.2.2, they weren't there in 5.1.26.
I've noticed them too, but I thought it was only my setup so I was waiting for a second report to come in. For me you can (almost) reliably get the toolbar to "disappear" if you open the Settings for any VM, then start using the Tab to move between controls; Cancel, OK, Tollbar, ... gone. If you hover over them with the mouse they reappear one by one, depending on which one you hover over. BTW, host is running 10.11.6:
[attachment=0]5.2.x Toolbar disappears.png[/attachment]
ncj wrote:I'm not sure if there were previous comments on this, but I can't find a d efect report/ticket for it. Is there one?
Not that I know of. I'll try to talk with the developers on the IRC to see if they are familiar with that behavior, and if not, I'll create a new ticket. Will let you know. And to tell you the truth it's more of a nuisance rather than a severe bug, that's why I didn't bother until now.
ncj wrote:I can get the GUI to crash rather reliably with changing the NAT network settings (and one other random crash).
Now, that's quite a different story. Do you have a step-by-step way to reproduce this?
 Edit: The developers are aware of the cosmetic issue, but it's not their top priority, since it's only a cosmetic issue with a known workaround; switch to another app then back to VirtualBox, or simply hover over the toolbar with the mouse. 
Attachments
5.2.x Toolbar disappears.png
5.2.x Toolbar disappears.png (65.45 KiB) Viewed 3795 times
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
ncj

Post by ncj »

socratis wrote:Now, that's quite a different story. Do you have a step-by-step way to reproduce this?
Yes, but it appears specific to the OS version etc. Based on all the reports so far, the issue varies in location and reproduction. I have more details in my post "Visual defect and GUI crash" (I'll link to it when my membership duration allows).

The visual affect is not a big deal, it just appears to be a precursor to the crash - no visual defect, no crash.
Last edited by socratis on 1. Dec 2017, 14:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Added missing URL.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

@ncj
Since you opened a new thread, let's continue the discussion there, no need to double-post the information.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

I just updated the development series test builds (not yet the 5.2 ones)[1]. The Guest Additions build there should contain an additional fix for the Linux guest hangs with 3D enabled.

[1] https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Testbuilds
Kjetil

Post by Kjetil »

Great! I can confirm that OpenGL works again in windows guest with development revision 119762.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

? Michael said "fix for Linux guests hangs", you said "windows guest". Michael?
Kjetil

Post by Kjetil »

I don't know anything about Linux Guest.
Neither Direct3D nor OpenGL has worked in 5.2 in Windows Guest: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85559 (plus other topics)
michael
Oracle Corporation

Post by michael »

Nothing I know anything about, but still glad to hear about it.