New VMs after add-ons installing stops display

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
MIRKOSOFT

New VMs after add-ons installing stops display

Post by MIRKOSOFT »

Hi!

I found new problem.
I added older created virtual machines and they working correctly.
I tried to create new one with Windows 10.1709 Pro x64 guest - all was working correctly, but after installation of add-ons and reboot display stops any activity, I can only force close machine and then cancel it and I can see blurred gray image, but actual until I do any action which changes display content, then I must to do the same. In VBOX Manager thumbnails shows correct display content always.
I tried to install older add-ons, but at installation it failed with error "version 5.2 expected"...

What is problem? It happened to me never before.

Thank you for all.
Miro
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: New VMs after add-ons installing stops display

Post by socratis »

There are no "add-ons" for VirtualBox. You've got to be careful with the terminology. There are two distinct things:
  • The Extension Pack (ExtPack) get installed on the host and it has to match the VirtualBox version. It provides functionality such as USB2-3, Webcam, VRDP, PXE, PCI passthrough on Linux hosts, VDI Encryption. You have to download it and install it separately from the main VirtualBox program, due to its license.
  • The Guest Additions (GAs) get installed on the guest and it would be good to match the VirtualBox version, for anything other than enhanced graphics support. It provides functionality such as shared folders, shared clipboard, drag and drop, pointer sharing (for PS/2 mice), enhanced graphics support. You do not have to download it separately from the main VirtualBox program, since it comes bundled with it.
So, which one did you install and where?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MIRKOSOFT

Post by MIRKOSOFT »

When I installed VirtualBox 5.2, I downloaded also Extension Pack and installed it from running VM Manager in Preferences.
Then I tried the older versions, but happened error in previous post.

What can cause that problem with display?

Miro
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

You should already know the proper steps to ask a question by now: always include a ZIPPED VBox.log for the VM.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
MIRKOSOFT

Post by MIRKOSOFT »

Ok, first:
1. until I press close button I see nothing - blank black screen
2. when I press close I can see gray blurred screen
3. in thumbnail of VirtualBox Manager is always visible real screen
4. when I take screenshot - screen is correctly visible.

Here are compressed logs:
logs.rar
(64.48 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
Miro
MIRKOSOFT

Post by MIRKOSOFT »

No idea?

Miro