Running ESXi 5.5u2 under VirtualBox 5.0.40 improvements

Here you can provide suggestions on how to improve the product, website, etc.
buxton

Running ESXi 5.5u2 under VirtualBox 5.0.40 improvements

Post by buxton »

Hi,

I have managed to get ESXi 5.5u2 running under VirtualBox 5.0.40, by selecting Other/Other Linux64, 8GB RAM, 4 CPUs, PAE/NX, VT-x/AMD-V, Nested Paging, Paravirtualisation KVM, 500GB HDD, Bridged Adapter with Intel PRO/1000 T Server 82543GC.

Can the VirtualBox VM BIOS be changed to support Virtualisation as a option to allow it to be enabled?

Having managed to get ESXi to run, attempting to run any 32 or 64 bit VM results in ESXi complaining that the it is not running inside a compatible hypervisor.

When the the VirtualBox VM Bios is enhanced to offer virtualisation can the environment be enhanced to make it compatible with running ESXi.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Running ESXi 5.5u2 under VirtualBox 5.0.40 improvements

Post by socratis »

buxton wrote:Can the VirtualBox VM BIOS be changed to support Virtualisation as a option to allow it to be enabled?
The option that you're asking for is called "nested virtualization" and everybody wishes that it was a simple "enable in the BIOS" feature. It is not. It's a really, really complicated procedure that's taking months and years to develop.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
buxton

Post by buxton »

Hi,

I understand Nested Virtualisation is complicated but a very useful feature. Being able to host and ESXi server within VirtualBox, would allow for easier playing of VMs which do not readily convert to VirtualBox.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be requested by enough commercial customers of Oracle.