How can I make .vhd files in different partitions?

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
jor4ir

How can I make .vhd files in different partitions?

Post by jor4ir »

Hi, I used VirtualBox create parent vhd disk in D:\vbox,then I made a snapshot of it, these vhd files are set to E:\vbox_new. Then I choose restore, the guest could not start. It says"Parent UUID {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000} of the medium does not match UUID of its parent medium stored in the media registry "
I wonder if I can set vhd and snapshots in different partitions? Thanks.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: How can I make .vhd files in different partitions?

Post by mpack »

That error means that your "snapshot" VHDs are not snapshots, they have just been given snapshot like names. Probably they were cloned from a snapshot original.

Of course it is impossible to perform snapshot operations on disks which are not snapshots.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

jor4ir wrote:I wonder if I can set vhd and snapshots in different partitions? Thanks.
Yes they can be. Your problem does not come from that part, something else is going on. Is E:\ by any chance an external USB drive?

Right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager. Select "Show in Finder/Explorer/Whatever". ZIP the selected ".vbox" file and attach it to your response.

I would also like to see the directory listing (including sub-directories) of "D:\vbox" and "E:\vbox_new". Open a Command prompt, navigate to each of the directories mentioned and enter the command "dir /s".
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Um. Isn't it quite clear what's going on? The OP has "copied" the VHDs to another folder by cloning them. Cloning a snapshot creates a stand alone image, which is what the error message says is the case.
jor4ir

Post by jor4ir »

I fixed it by using command "vboxmanage internalcommands sethdparentuuid". I think it's a bug of Virutalbox.
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Post by socratis »

jor4ir wrote:I think it's a bug of Virutalbox.
Not unless it's reproducible. And you haven't given us the exact steps to re-create the "bug", so at this point I'm more inclined to think that it's you that did something improper, rather than it being a "bug", because 1) not that many people have reported this, and 2) anyone that reported something similar, it turned out to be user error/misunderstanding.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

jor4ir wrote:I fixed it by using command "vboxmanage internalcommands sethdparentuuid". I think it's a bug of Virutalbox.
That isn't a fix, that's a hack to hide the error message.

What the error message told you is still true - the selected VHD is not a snapshot. Giving it the name of a snapshot and putting it in the snapshots folder does not make it a snapshot: it has no dependencies on the parent. By ignoring error messages you are just asking for more serious failures later.

And there is no bug - as I mentioned above it's quite clear what happened here, which is that someone doesn't understand snapshots or the consequences of cloning.