Win 10 Host hangs on screen lock

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
Pierce

Win 10 Host hangs on screen lock

Post by Pierce »

I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 as a guest on a Win10 host. When I lock the host screen and the guest is not minimized, the system becomes unresponsive to keyboard/mouse input and needs to be restarted. If I minimize my guest before locking the host, it doesn't appear to do this. Any hints on what settings I could change to make this work correctly?
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: Win 10 Host hangs on screen lock

Post by socratis »

When the VM has the focus (it's not a minimized or not issue), all input is redirected to the VM. So, when you try to unlock your host, that input is actually directed to the VM. Try to see if pressing the HostKey ONCE before entering your username/password on the host's lock screen works for you, otherwise you have to make sure that the VM does not have the focus *before* you lock your host.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.