[Solved] A critical error occurred during execution of the virtual machine and has been stopped

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
AndriiVar

[Solved] A critical error occurred during execution of the virtual machine and has been stopped

Post by AndriiVar »

When trying to set the windows 10 to VirtualBox appears such a mistake

What could be the problem?

Attached zip file containing the logs
Attachments
VBox.zip
VBox.zip
(44.25 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
A critical error occurred during execution of the virtual machine and has been stopped..
A critical error occurred during execution of the virtual machine and has been stopped..
Снимок.JPG (48.18 KiB) Viewed 1778 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Re: A critical error occurred during execution of the virtual machine and has been stopped

Post by mpack »

Your guest is triple faulting. This usually indicates that the guest is doing something nasty.

Where did this Windows10 ISO come from? Is it direct from Microsoft?

You might also want to consider installing a more up to date VirtualBox version, as Win10 is always changing.
AndriiVar

Re: A critical error occurred during execution of the virtual machine and has been stopped

Post by AndriiVar »

Windows10 downloaded from the site microsoft

VirtualBox - version 5.1.30
Attachments
yu.JPG
yu.JPG (42.35 KiB) Viewed 1760 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I'm not sure why you posted that image. We already know from the log that you're using VirtualBox 5.1.30. The question was why you didn't upgrade to the current version, which is 5.2.2 at the time of writing. And remember to update the Guest Additions too.
AndriiVar

Post by AndriiVar »

Updated VirtualBox to 5.2.2

The problem remained the same "A critical error occurred during execution of the virtual machine and has been stopped"

Attached a new log file
Attachments
VBoxNew.zip
(42.42 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

I do see the following warning in the log.
VBox.log wrote: 00:00:01.724632 CPUM: WARNING! Can't turn on NX/XD when the host doesn't support it!
I have a feeling that this means that your CPU (2012 E5-2620) can't support Windows 10 in a VirtualBox VM, or indeed any version of Windows from 8.1 onwards.

A separate problem is that you are allocating 6 out of 6 cores to the VM, leaving nothing for the host (note that threads are not cores). This is usually not a good idea, but I don't think it's the cause of your immediate problem.
Martin
Volunteer
Primary OS: Fedora other
Guest OSses: XP, Win7, Win10, Linux, OS/2

Post by Martin »

The E5-2620 has the necessary features but they have to be enabled in BIOS?
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Actually yes, now that I look in detail this CPU does seem to have everything required, and the OP should certainly check that they are enabled in the host BIOS: Virtualization Technology (VT-x), and Data Execution Prevention is the usual form of words I think, both must be enabled.
AndriiVar

Post by AndriiVar »

Thanks for the help.

Problem solved.

It was necessary to activate in bios

->Data execution prevention
mpack
Site Moderator

Post by mpack »

Great, thanks for confirming.