[Solved] After Win 7 upgrade BSOD when I move my mouse

Discussions about using Windows guests in VirtualBox.
CHBrown

[Solved] After Win 7 upgrade BSOD when I move my mouse

Post by CHBrown »

I was running Windows 7 Enterprise 32-bit
I upgraded to Windows 7 Pro 32-bit
The virtual machine boots to the login screen but when I move my mouse, the virtual machine blue screens with DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQAL :-( Please help!
When I boot the virtual machine in safe mode it still blue screens.

My laptop running the virtualbox software is Windows 10
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: After Win 7 upgrade BSOD when I move my mouse

Post by socratis »

• Start the VM from cold-boot (not from a paused or saved state) / Observe error / Shutdown the VM.
  • With the VM completely shut down (not paused or saved), right-click on the VM in the VirtualBox Manager and select "Show Log".
  • Save only the first "VBox.log", ZIP it and attach it to your response (see the "Upload attachment" tab below the reply form).
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
CHBrown

Post by CHBrown »

Here you go. Thank you!
Attachments
Personal-2017-12-05-06-42-54.zip
(25.13 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Obviously that's a driver crash, and since we're not getting the same report from every other Win7 user I can only assume that the driver is neither bundled with VirtualBox nor native to Win7.

Did you reinstall the GAs since the "upgrade" (*)?

(*) Not sure why you did this, since AFAIK Enterprise >= Pro.
CHBrown

Post by CHBrown »

I reinstalled the Guest Additions and I still have the BSOD problem.
I then removed the Guest Additions and I still see the BSOD.
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

It would be useful to identify exactly which driver is faulting.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

Take a look at Nirsoft's BlueScreenView for more help identifying the BSOD.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
CHBrown

Post by CHBrown »

I have a question about re-installing the guest additions.
I don't think I did this successfully. I think I just removed the Extension Pack. Sigh
How do I go about re-installing the guest additions when I can't move my mouse in the Guest Virtual Machine.
CHBrown

Post by CHBrown »

Eureka! I was able to uninstall Guest Additions without a mouse :-) Been a long time since I ran windows without a mouse.
I then re-installed Guest Additions and now everything is working!
Thank you all very much!!!!
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

You talk about the Guest Additions, you talk about the Extension Pack. You've got to be careful with the terminology. There are two distinct things:
  • The Extension Pack (ExtPack) get installed on the host and it has to match the VirtualBox version. It provides functionality such as USB2-3, Webcam, VRDP, PXE, PCI passthrough on Linux hosts, VDI Encryption. You have to download it and install it separately from the main VirtualBox program, due to its license.
  • The Guest Additions (GAs) get installed on the guest and it would be good to match the VirtualBox version, for anything other than enhanced graphics support. It provides functionality such as shared folders, shared clipboard, drag and drop, pointer sharing (for PS/2 mice), enhanced graphics support. You do not have to download it separately from the main VirtualBox program, since it comes bundled with it.
Now, I don't understand the meaning of "I can't move my mouse in the Guest". I can't think of a good enough reason for the mouse to not be able to move, unless you have setup some weird USB filters. Could you post the output of the commands:
  • cd "C:\Program Files\Oracle\VirtualBox\"
    VBoxManage showvminfo "Personal"