[Solved] VirtualBox Not install USB Driver

Discussions related to using VirtualBox on Windows hosts.
sergeyml

[Solved] VirtualBox Not install USB Driver

Post by sergeyml »

Hello, I can not install the virtualbox, with the USB driver.
There is an error, I apply the log.
rgho. st/7bbmR4cwx
socratis
Site Moderator
Primary OS: Mac OS X other
VBox Version: PUEL
Guest OSses: Win(*>98), Linux*, OSX>10.5

Re: VirtualBox Not install USB Driver

Post by socratis »

1. Uninstall VirtualBox. Your VMs are going to be untouched. Reboot.
  2. You may want to clean up your registry and/or filesystem at this point. CCleaner is a freeware utility that could help you. Mind the installation, it comes with "offers" from 3rd parties, known as "bundleware". Also, check out Device Cleanup program that helps you to remove any unused devices from your computer.
  3. Download (if you haven't already) the latest VirtualBox and its matching ExtPack. Store them in a common location, i.e. not on "Desktop", or "Documents", but to "Public/Downloads" for example.
  4. Locate the downloaded file in Windows Explorer. Right-click on the installer and select "Run-as-Administrator", even if you are the administrator. At the end of the installation, choose to "Start Oracle VM VirtualBox". Do not worry if your VMs do not show up.
  5. If you're going to install the ExtPack, go to File » Preferences » Extensions. Click on the icon with the orange, down-pointing arrow on the right. Select the ExtPack from the previous steps.
  6. Quit VirtualBox. Re-start VirtualBox as you would normally, i.e. from the Desktop shortcut or the Start menu.
  7. Update the Guest Additions (GAs) in your guest(s), if the GAs are available for a specific guest.
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
sergeyml

Post by sergeyml »

I do not trust CCleaner, he can touch on and break.
At the same time I deleted Virtualbox and staged the latest version and it was not put
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

I'm with you on CCleaner, but we still need a log file. Zipped and attached locally please - no offsite links
sergeyml

Post by sergeyml »

I installed CCleaner, but I did not find how to create a report after analysis
sergeyml

Post by sergeyml »

Corrected the problem.
Shoveled the log of Process Monitor, found: ACCESS DENIED in the file C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\infpub.dat and indeed, the rights were limited, gave "All" permissions and after the installation, the rights came back to normal, like the neighboring files.

Also saw in the events:

Code: Select all

The encryption services failed during the processing of the OnIdentity () call in the "System Write Unit" object.

Details:
AddCorePnPFiles: Enumerating driver store published INFs failed.

System Error:
Access denied.
* The event is translated with the help of an interpreter, so there may be no convergence with the English version of windows

Event ID: 513
Source: CAPI2
mpack
Site Moderator
Primary OS: MS Windows 10
Guest OSses: Mostly XP

Post by mpack »

Well done, I will mark this topic as solved.
socratis
Site Moderator

Re: [Solved] VirtualBox Not install USB Driver

Post by socratis »

sergeyml wrote:found: ACCESS DENIED in the file C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\infpub.dat and indeed, the rights were limited, gave "All" permissions and after the installation, the rights came back to normal
Your host is Windows 7, right? Just for completion, in a clean installation of a Win7 system, the rights are: System=FullControl, Users=ReadOnly. What were yours setup as? You describe them as "limited", but do you remember more details?

PS. While checking for this on my Win7 PC, right next to the "DriverStore" directory I found a compressed "DRVSTORE" directory, which only contained two VirtualBox drivers; VBoxDrv and VBoxUSBMon, dated 2017-11-30, the day that I upgraded VirtualBox. Any thoughts from Win7 host owners out there? Do you have a similar directory in your System32?
Do NOT send me Personal Messages (PMs) for troubleshooting, they are simply deleted.
Do NOT reply with the "QUOTE" button, please use the "POST REPLY", at the bottom of the form.
If you obfuscate any information requested, I will obfuscate my response. These are virtual UUIDs, not real ones.
sergeyml

Post by sergeyml »

icacls C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore
icacls C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\infpub.dat
icacls C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\infstor.dat
icacls C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\infstrng.dat
icacls C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\drvindex.dat
http://rgho.st/8TCYqyQGj - img rights
I attach a screenshot from another computer, but the files are the same.
Attachments
DriverStore.PNG
DriverStore.PNG (26.02 KiB) Viewed 2964 times
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

I can't read Russian, but I think the 3rd line in the "infpub.dat" must be "BUILTIN\Users:(R)", the 2nd line I could understand, it is "NT AUTHORITY\System:(F)". But I don't know what the first line "Bce:(N)" is, and it's in English.

So, it seems that System=FullControl, Users=ReadOnly was appropriately set. As I said I don't know what the Bce=None is, but that's what messed up your setup. Can you think of anything that might have caused this?
sergeyml

Post by sergeyml »

The suggestion is from where the problem is, there is such a BadRabbit virus and as a protection against encryption, it was suggested to restrict access to the files "C:\Windows\infpub.dat" and "C:\Windows\cscc.dat" (https://www.kaspersky.com/blog/bad-rabb ... are/19887/).

Yes, the paths are different "C:\Windows\infpub.dat" against "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\infpub.dat". More reasons I do not see.

Let me emerge right:
ALL: <N> - EVERYBODY is prohibited (read, write, execute ...)
system: <F> - full access, everything is allowed
Users: <R> - read only
Last edited by socratis on 11. Dec 2017, 10:47, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed obfuscated URLs.
socratis
Site Moderator

Post by socratis »

sergeyml wrote:the paths are different "C:\Windows\infpub.dat" against "C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\infpub.dat".
I would simply delete the files in the "C:\Windows" directory. They're not supposed to be there.
But, in any event, thank you for the link and the info about "Bad Rabbit"!
sergeyml

Post by sergeyml »

socratis wrote:I would simply delete the files in the "C:\Windows" directory. They're not supposed to be there.
But, in any event, thank you for the link and the info about "Bad Rabbit"!

You understood me wrong.
C: \ Windows \ infpub.dat - it was created by hands and restrictions were set specially.
C: \ Windows \ System32 \ DriverStore \ infpub.dat - I did not touch it and did not know about its existence ...

Perhaps you will be interested in my script, for setting a ban or removing the ban on "virus" files:
https://github.com/k008/ScriptsOM/blob/ ... Rabbit.vbs

* Encoding 1251 (windows does not know how to work with UTF-8).
Maybe later I will fix it in English